Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been listening to the SEN morning show. And I nearly fell off my chair a couple of times.

I swear Hamish responded to one sensationalised story by insisting: "That's hyperbole!" Except he pronounced it 'hyperbowl'.

And Garry Lyon has spoken more than once about "the archives". Except he pronounces the 'ch' like in cheese.

I don't know if he's doing it as an 'in joke' or parodying someone else's mispronunciation or something. Surely you can't get to that age and be mispronouncing the word 'archives'. Surely.

I've been listening to the SEN morning show. And I nearly fell off my chair a couple of times.

I swear Hamish responded to one sensationalised story by insisting: "That's hyperbole!" Except he pronounced it 'hyperbowl'.

And Garry Lyon has spoken more than once about "the archives". Except he pronounces the 'ch' like in cheese.

I don't know if he's doing it as an 'in joke' or parodying someone else's mispronunciation or something. Surely you can't get to that age and be mispronouncing the word 'archives'. Surely.

Maybe they are both tongue in cheek. Julia Gillard famously pronounced hyperbole as 'hyperbowl' once and Barry Hall pronounced archive as 'ar-chives' on a football game telecast one day causing much mirth for the following weeks.

Well, that was a long 3 hour tour for me. But me ears have not lost their abilities.

This morning on KB, Waldron referring to the Carlton whippersnippers running around in the midfield.

Later, KB instead of saying team colours started to refer to country colours. Unfortunately it is not a word where you should not stop after the first syllable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was that Webber who was also pronouncing 'Ricciardo' as "Ricky-ardo"

Wasn't Webber, not sure who it was.

Listening to EON Sports this morning and they were discussing the football. One of the guys said that some team's forward line was a 'rubble' :drunk:

Last edited:
Last night on Talking Footy, Wayne Carey said "digressed" instead of "indiscretion".
When talking about Hogan and Lewis getting suspended, he said, "both players clearly digressed". ... unless someone wants to argue that punching someone is a 'temporary digression from the main subject' :D

Last night on Talking Footy, Wayne Carey said "digressed" instead of "indiscretion".
When talking about Hogan and Lewis getting suspended, he said, "both players clearly digressed". ... unless someone wants to argue that punching someone is a 'temporary digression from the main subject' :D
Presumably he meant 'transgressed'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back