Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I'd had a few, but I'm certain I heard, more than once, the channel 7 commentary team refer to Dustin Martin as being "the first man to win a Brownlow and Premiership in the same week"..........now off the top of my head Aker, Simon Black, Jimmy Bartel and GAJ have all done it since 2000

Now I'd had a few, but I'm certain I heard, more than once, the channel 7 commentary team refer to Dustin Martin as being "the first man to win a Brownlow and Premiership in the same week"..........now off the top of my head Aker, Simon Black, Jimmy Bartel and GAJ have all done it since 2000
The Brownlow never used to be on the week of the GF - it was a strange, useless stat to emphasise though, for sure.

The Brownlow never used to be on the week of the GF - it was a strange, useless stat to emphasise though, for sure.
Right, that makes a little more sense. I'm sure at least the Ablett and Bartel ones were still on the Monday of GF week, though?

The Brownlow has been held in GF week for as long as I can remember, at least 30 years. The commentators were leaving out 'Richmond' when talking about Dusty as the first player to do it.

Speaking of knowledge of Richmond, post-game Basil Zempilis informed the uninitiated that Swan St was across the road from "the Punt Street end". Yeah, mate, just past good old Punt Street Oval.

Heard that too and immediately thought of Dipper. Think they must have been inundated with texts and tweets because Bruce corrected it later and said he meant 'for Richmond'. One of Bruce's useless stats gone wrong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cracker form Frawley on SEN this arvo, he said something along the lines of Adelaide having succumbed to Richmond's pressure in the GF, except he pronounced the word 'succumbed' as 'sec-humed' :p

I believe that's "Cracker from."

I stuff up a bit too.

I watched the NRL grand final last night.

Nearly everything that was said could be posted in here.

I frequently type 'form' instead of 'from', don't know why, my brain and my fingers don't connect too well sometimes! And yes, if I was on radio I would be a huge contributor to this thread I am sure :p
It may be the small mobile keypad, but I post 'if' instead of 'of' nearly every time.

*I actually did it again in this post and had to correct it.

Most of it doesn't bother me, but as stated before, the 'come' instead of 'came' is really hard on the ears. Surely someone has told Terry Wallace about this considering he works in the media.

Another one from Frawley, talking about Goodwin at Melbourne wanting to set standards and have everyone adhere to them (in relation to the possibility of Jack Watts leaving) he said that the rules 'were not a movable beast'.

Good on Frawley for stepping in today because both Marco and Ox called in sick but he does provide us with a lot of fodder for this thread :D

Incidentally, who do we reckon is the king of the verbal far'k-ups? On volume, I'd say it's either David Schwarz or Brownless (even though Billy does some of them deliberately), but Cameron Mooney has dropped some absolute whoppers

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back