Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Not usually a Robbo basher but he kept on saying ‘everyTHINK’ during his SEN gig today. You’re a fricken senior journo mate, what the hell!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it's petty, but the erroneous use of the word 'laconic' really annoys me. It's one of those buzz words that seems to be everywhere. It means concise, direct, not using a lot of words - it doesn't mean lazy.

They must be thinking of lackadaisical, I guess they both have a 'lak' sound. Perhaps i'm asking too much.

I know it's petty, but the erroneous use of the word 'laconic' really annoys me. It's one of those buzz words that seems to be everywhere. It means concise, direct, not using a lot of words - it doesn't mean lazy.

They must be thinking of lackadaisical, I guess they both have a 'lak' sound. Perhaps i'm asking too much.

People trying to sound smart by using another word, which actually happens to mean nothing close to what they're talking about, sh*ts me to absolute tears

I've heard "laconic" be used to describe how players like Pendlebury and Bontempelli seem to slow the game down when they get the ball, or something to that effect.

People trying to sound smart by using another word, which actually happens to mean nothing close to what they're talking about, sh*ts me to absolute tears

I've heard "laconic" be used to describe how players like Pendlebury and Bontempelli seem to slow the game down when they get the ball, or something to that effect.

Exactly, just use plain speak, you're not fooling anyone.

It was used to describe Jack Watt's approach to football in a fox article today. Journalists using it wrong is especially annoying, I can handle ex-footballers saying nonsense, but journalists have one job - writing.

Hell, I'll Google a word to make sure when I'm writing on here, it's really not very hard.

Exactly, just use plain speak, you're not fooling anyone.

It was used to describe Jack Watt's approach to football in a fox article today. Journalists using it wrong is especially annoying, I can handle ex-footballers saying nonsense, but journalists have one job - writing.

Hell, I'll Google a word to make sure when I'm writing on here, it's really not very hard.

i quickly googled laconic and gerald healy cause i thought he has used this in the past. Read some of the written material and now Im doubting sentences containing the L word, whether the author meant it in its correct guise or not.

Luke Darcy during a preview of the Cats vs Crows game said "Geelong have to be very careful in the first quarter because you can't win a game in the 1st but you sure can lose it". How the bejeesus does that work exactly?
Must have been trying to steal a cliche from motor racing, where you can't win the race at the first turn, but you sure can lose it.

Lol trust Darcy to * that up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back