Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Check out a few older people who weren't brought up with American crap forced on them every day. In the days of tent camping the first thing packed was the kerosene powered Hurrik'n lamp.

hurricanelantern.jpg

Yes, I guess many words have changed over the years. As the saying goes, if English didn't 'evolve', we'd all be talking like a Shakespeare play; or, going back further, we'd sound half-German, talking middle or old English.

Geoff Poulter said on radio a while ago that the pronunciation of "debut" has changed. It apparently used to "d'boo", but now it's "dayboo", or even "daybyoo". I reckon the latter is the dumb bogan way :D

You are right RU, language will always evolve but I will always draw the line at,

My bad..(bad what? memory, I forgot the next word?)
I've never had so fun (so much fun maybe)

Calling one of these things a "booey". bouy.jpg

ha, "booey". The American stuff shits me. For example, "era" should be pronounced "eera", not "erra", like the Yanks do.
"Era" is "era", and "error" is "error"; they ain't the same. :D
It seems to be rife amongst footy people, I assume because they all watch American sports these days

You are right RU, language will always evolve but I will always draw the line at,

My bad..(bad what? memory, I forgot the next word?)
I've never had so fun (so much fun maybe)

Calling one of these things a "booey". View attachment 452782
Jim Courier on the tennis really infuriates every time he talks about a player being "booey'd" by a good shot or result.

Just flicked on SEN halfway through a discussion re some player coming back to Victoria (probably Sloane or Tom Lynch or someone, why tf should I care, it's January)

Anyway, caller says: "He should come back .... he's got a lot of roots around here"

I wonder how he knows about Sloane's night life.

pete siddle on a grandstand quiz show - Louisy-ville

f368e0356dd3d1f813a1a0b7653f5c54.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just flicked on SEN halfway through a discussion re some player coming back to Victoria (probably Sloane or Tom Lynch or someone, why tf should I care, it's January)

Anyway, caller says: "He should come back .... he's got a lot of roots around here"

I wonder how he knows about Sloane's night life.
This word causes so much sfellowing these days, to the extent that the perfectly good word "route" is oftenly coyly pronounced "rowt" just so as, you know, people won't sfellow. (It's "rout" that's pronounced "rowt")

This word causes so much sfellowing these days, to the extent that the perfectly good word "route" is oftenly coyly pronounced "rowt" just so as, you know, people won't sfellow. (It's "rout" that's pronounced "rowt")
But that is not what is meant. He is not looking for travel directions.

What they are meaning is that his family connections are in the area. His Roots are in Melbourne/Victoria.

Obviously the expression should be "his roots are here.." Expressing as lots of roots just makes him appear to be Jake Stringer.

But that is not what is meant. He is not looking for travel directions.

What they are meaning is that his family connections are in the area. His Roots are in Melbourne/Victoria.

Obviously the expression should be "his roots are here.." Expressing as lots of roots just makes him appear to be Jake Stringer.
Exactly. But you've misinterpreted my post, which was an aside on how the word "root" is now sfellow-worthy, no matter the context.

When I was young I saw some Lauren Bacall movie -- I think Key Largo -- which included a line of hers that went something like this: "I didn't have much of a home. George...gave me roots, and the roots took hold"
Being young, I really thought she was talking about sex :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back