Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

It all goes back to Ron Casey (World of Sport - Channel 7) who employed mostly ex-footballers because they would work for next to nothing and needed something to do after football.
Now it has become so ingrained that instead of employing all professional commentators/callers we get bogan footballers who struggle to string a coherent sentence together.
They are not just dump, they are the epitome of the word dumb

Yes, I guess many words have changed over the years. As the saying goes, if English didn't 'evolve', we'd all be talking like a Shakespeare play; or, going back further, we'd sound half-German, talking middle or old English.

Geoff Poulter said on radio a while ago that the pronunciation of "debut" has changed. It apparently used to "d'boo", but now it's "dayboo", or even "daybyoo". I reckon the latter is the dumb bogan way :D

All those are wrong, here is how it should be pronounced:

It all goes back to Ron Casey (World of Sport - Channel 7) who employed mostly ex-footballers because they would work for next to nothing and needed something to do after football.
Now it has become so ingrained that instead of employing all professional commentators/callers we get bogan footballers who struggle to string a coherent sentence together.
They are not just dump, they are the epitome of the word dumb
Is that really true?

I think some of the ex-players make a decent fist of it. The quality of the former footballers in the media has certainly gone up a notch in the past 10 years.

Would you prefer it was exclusively professional commentators/callers?

terry wallace when analysing teams fortunes based on predicted win/losses for 2018 based on who plays who, said he looked at the "rosters". He meant fixture.
It might be a less used term but "The Roster" was frequently the term used for the playing schedule.

Perhaps the issue (since the expansion from 12 teams) is that it has become a FIX(ed)TURE

It might be a less used term but "The Roster" was frequently the term used for the playing schedule.

Perhaps the issue (since the expansion from 12 teams) is that it has become a FIX(ed)TURE

accepted. But judging by the tone and context of his output, he made a boo boo. but it is what it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're including non AFL faux pas, then I'll mention one from Tim Horan during the Brisbane 10's rugby comp over the weekend. I can't remember the player in question but Tim Horan said he was ''20 years of old''.

nick monguls quinn

-4pQaimu_400x400.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back