Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

She is hands down one of the worst commentators going around, can barely string two words together. We could fill a whole thread with her mistakes. Instantly switch off if she is on.

There's a reason Fox went straight for Mel Jones and Isa Guha when it came to bringing in female commentators and left Lisa Sthalekar hoping for a call from 7.

Bryce McGain on RSN - "get miles on the clock"
Isn't that just a colloquialism for the odometer, as opposed to a genuine verbal faux pas?

"I hope the weather stays away"

"Struggling with mental health"

Both absolutely get me every time. The weather is always present, say you hope the "bad weather stays away", and everyone has mental health, people struggle with "mental health illness/issue" or "poor mental health"

:mad:

Have to disagree also, on the basis that everyone knows quite clearly what you're talking about if you say this. Plus if you said that someone was struggling with their health, it would be plainly obvious it meant 'bad health' otherwise they wouldn't be struggling with it. It's just a bit of colour in the language if anything, as opposed to being exactly technically correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The young-sounding guy doing the BBL on radio in Brisbane with Ryan Harris the other night said that someone had "paid his peasants" instead of "penance"., Ha :D

This tiny one from Kohli gave me a chuckle. It was more of a language thing than a stuff-up.
Ian Chappell and Julian King interviewed him a few weeks ago on the 3aw Saturday Cricket Show. At one stage, they asked him about his ability to make stacks of runs in one-dayers and 20/20 games while still using traditional cricket shots most of the time. Kohli said, "yes, I try to play with a straight face mostly..."
King started laughing before he realised that he obviously meant "straight bat" or "straight face of the bat",
Eh, ya hadta hear it. :p

Last edited:
Tim Payne on the radio the other day:
"The team that's been picked, is the team that's been picked"

As opposed to all the teams that are picked that aren't actually the team that's been picked. o_Oo_O

His version of, 'it is what it is'.

Any chance and sme one will fall over themselves to use the word

GOAT

Any opportunity to proclaim the best of all time just to use GOAT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back