Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Footy have it's own dialect? It's not a problem of individuals, it's industry-wide. The particular style of boganism upon malapropism is such that regular english speakers from other places would often be hard pressed to understand even what they were trying to say.

Even the 360 behind the scenes staff (this is from last year, but I saw it again today):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 1.42.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 1.42.32 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 253

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't searched but I'm sure Danny Frawley would have been well represented before in this thread.

But the person talking about Lingy's favourite adjective reminded me of Spud's special way of saying "outstanding".

I think it's a sign of respect to bring it up in this most appropriate forum as a bit of a tribute.

I'll get the phonetics wrong but it was something like "airtstairnding".

Linguist Professor Kate Burridge is sometimes on the radio, and it really surprises me how lenient she is about new ways of speaking.
Ah, Kate. Had a crush on her when she was my tutor for 1st year Linguistics( had no idea why I chose that subject...until this thread!)

I would guess she would say language is a living thing that grows and evolves according to how society chooses to shape it. So small pockets, like this thread railing against particular bugbears may have some influence, but the (un)critical masses may have more sway long term.

Ah, Kate. Had a crush on her when she was my tutor for 1st year Linguistics( had no idea why I chose that subject...until this thread!)

I would guess she would say language is a living thing that grows and evolves according to how society chooses to shape it. So small pockets, like this thread railing against particular bugbears may have some influence, but the (un)critical masses may have more sway long term.
So you probably wanted to impress her with your cunning linguist techniques. 😎

Remove this Banner Ad

Back