Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s another...

“Gets UP my goat” - AAAAUGH!, Malcolm Blight!!!

It’s ‘Gets my goat’ or ‘gets up my nose’! - they cannot be ‘cocktailed’....just ‘cocked up’

And as for the idiot on SEN that thought ‘cocked up’ was rude.....Spare me days!
It dates back to the 1800s - refers to a jammed round in a Martini Henry single action rifle- the cartridge pushes up rather than IN to the chamber - hence ‘cocked up’.

Do any of these people read? Or listen?

Here’s another...

It’s ‘Gets my goat’ or ‘gets up my nose’! - they cannot be ‘cocktailed’....just ‘cocked up’

And as for the idiot on SEN that thought ‘cocked up’ was rude.....Spare me days!
It dates back to the 1800s - refers to a jammed round in a Martini Henry single action rifle- the cartridge pushes up rather than IN to the chamber - hence ‘cocked up’.

Haha 'Gets Up My Goat', I'm gonna start using that now. What a cracker

Here’s another...

Read? READ?? Reading is so last century!

Anthony Hudson used 'Easy pickings' in reference to an intercept mark.
Of interest because I have previously only heard this from Indian commentators in the ipl and cricket (when a spinner bowls a half tracker for example).
Interesting journey through the sport commentary lexicon for this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May have been canvassed-

He would OF kicked that goal last year.🥴🥴🥴🥴

The word is ‘HAVE’....he would HAVE kicked....

Or you can abbreviate it to “would’ve”.....the apostrophe replacing the ‘ha’ in ‘have’.
It’s ongoing, every second post, sadly. People hear would’ve as would of. I guess they don’t read and schools don’t teach grammar anymore.

It’s ongoing, every second post, sadly. People hear would’ve as would of. I guess they don’t read and schools don’t teach grammar anymore.

I think that is it exactly. And it’s pretty clear many, many people don’t place any importance on being seen as ‘literate’.

The whole ‘loose’/‘Lose’ thing shows that.

May have been canvassed-... He would OF kicked that goal last year.🥴🥴🥴🥴The word is ‘HAVE’....he would HAVE kicked....or you can abbreviate it to “would’ve”.....the apostrophe replacing the ‘ha’ in ‘have’.
I mentioned last year when Hayden Ballentyne retired that writing it is even worse than saying it. Matthew Scarlett's note to Ballentyne upon his retirement ended with "I would of loved playing with you" :p

Then there was the sign that someone posted in the Mornington Peninsula, as a message to the people who brought the virus back from their ski trip in Colorado: "you should of stayed in Aspen"

I mentioned last year when Hayden Ballentyne retired that writing it is even worse than saying it. Matthew Scarlett's note to Ballentyne upon his retirement ended with "I would of loved playing with you" :p

Then there was the sign that someone posted in the Mornington Peninsula, as a message to the people who brought the virus back from their ski trip in Colorado: "you should of stayed in Aspen"

😭

Remove this Banner Ad

Back