Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

The perennial use of 'ironic' to describe mere coincidence is infuriating. I was pleasantly surprised, shocked even, to hear Bruce correct himself on this during the Port v Richmond match.

Saying 'learnings' where the perfectly suitable and grammatically correct 'lessons' would suffice, is also cringe-inducing.

'Process' and 'processes' are now vogue 'bullshit words' across the entire industry.

And it was interesting to read on the AFL website that "Sam Simpson banged bodies and finished with 14 touches" in this evening's Preliminary Final. It seems it was a rather debauched game.

'Looks'* is vague, confusing, awkward and annoying. Just don't say it.

* they've getting plenty of looks, they've hardly had any looks etc
This term is so overused. JB is the main offender, but it's caught on with plenty of others. All of a sudden any scoring opportunity is a 'look', over and over again.

It amazes me how many people incorrectly use the word "verse".

J Brown - richmond verse carlton
That is EVERYWHERE. It's a favourite primary school yard term that has seeped over into adult (so-called) language. I remember Bob Murphy wrote an article about when he went to an Auskick session and the kids asked "What's your favourite team to verse?" and he had to stop himself from laughing.

Browny's just a big kid ;)

BT: "Anastasia Pallachuck"

BT is usually pretty bad at names, but on this occasion I think he deserves a bit of credit for working towards a recognisably Polish pronunciation.

"The other question which had been bugging me and a few AFR colleagues was why her name – which is also one of the more difficult in Australian politics to spell – was pronounced "Pala-shay", rather than the traditional Polish pronunciation of "Palas-shook".

She says an Education Department official from teachers college in the late 1960s told her father he needed a surname that was easier for the children to pronounce. They said, "what about Mr Pala-shay?". And it's been that way ever since."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BT is usually pretty bad at names, but on this occasion I think he deserves a bit of credit for working towards a recognisably Polish pronunciation.

"The other question which had been bugging me and a few AFR colleagues was why her name – which is also one of the more difficult in Australian politics to spell – was pronounced "Pala-shay", rather than the traditional Polish pronunciation of "Palas-shook".

She says an Education Department official from teachers college in the late 1960s told her father he needed a surname that was easier for the children to pronounce. They said, "what about Mr Pala-shay?". And it's been that way ever since."

Similar to Marnus Labuschange. He ended up just going with what everyone called him here because it was easier when the Afrikaans pronunciation is more guttural.

Similar to Marnus Labuschange. He ended up just going with what everyone called him here because it was easier when the Afrikaans pronunciation is more guttural.

Yes. I guess it's something that we haven't had, to my knowledge, anything like the wholesale changing of names that Hollywood saw after WWII. (Les Murray being one notable case of a total name change.)

Not Sport but how does Denis O'Kane still get the news reading duties at AW? Today we had "Victorian President, Dan Andrews..."..."...Hyper-ponic drug house" among others...maybe he has a job for life having lured Neil Mitchell to the station about 50 years ago

Interesting but that happens a lot I reckon. Like Kruiser ought to be "Kroyt-zerr" apparently but he himself never raised it. Ricciardo an obvious one but he insists it is "Rickardo"...the absolute worst was Prestigiacomo, which of course should be "Presti-Jark-omo" - he was too nice a fellow to upturn anything. Maybe someone can help but there were two Italian footballers about 15 years back who had nearly identical surnames - and were cousins - EXCEPT for one letter as apparently their fathers had a falling out when they arrived in Australia

Interesting but that happens a lot I reckon. Like Kruiser ought to be "Kroyt-zerr" apparently but he himself never raised it. Ricciardo an obvious one but he insists it is "Rickardo"...the absolute worst was Prestigiacomo, which of course should be "Presti-Jark-omo" - he was too nice a fellow to upturn anything. Maybe someone can help but there were two Italian footballers about 15 years back who had nearly identical surnames - and were cousins - EXCEPT for one letter as apparently their fathers had a falling out when they arrived in Australia
Remember when it was mentioned in passing that Fantasia's name was supposed to be Fanta - seea? Cometti wouldn't leave it alone and used it throughout the game in progress. After that it faded away again.

Ukranian, Jason PorplyZia (Crows/West Adelaide), and his uncle Andy PorplyCia who played for Port Adelaide in the 70's/80's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back