Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Ukranian, Jason PorplyZia (Crows/West Adelaide), and his uncle Andy PorplyCia who played for Port Adelaide in the 70's/80's

Thanks, I was a bit out with the years but that is them

From news.com, admittedly:

"The name of former North Melbourne forward Majak Daw is also on the whiteboard alongside a question mark, suggesting Essendon might be targeting the delisted star".

More Denis O'Kane gold last night: "Carlton chief list of chief, Nick Austin...."..... ".....and St Kilda has delisted Essendon Tall, Shaun McKernan..."

I'm confident Mark Howard just said 'rise an eyebrow' rather than 'raise an eyebrow' on Fox Cricket.

^ It shits me when they do it in tennis :grinv1: :thumbsu:

If you have an unusual name in sport it's more common and I think it's just an easy shorthand way to refer to someone so there is no confusion. Rioli at Hawthorn was always known as Cyril for example. Lyeton Hewitt was always know as Lleyton.

In an era when first names are more unusual than surnames it's understandable IMO.

From news.com, admittedly:

"The name of former North Melbourne forward Majak Daw is also on the whiteboard alongside a question mark, suggesting Essendon might be targeting the delisted star".

Is Gerard Whateley the only cricket commentating geek who still says "he nicked off" when a batsman gets an outside edge? :tongueoutv1:
It's fa'rkin annoying jargon that I hope dies with "quarterback" being used by AFL commentators
I think I hear British commentators say that a lot so doubt it will stop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Gerard Whateley the only cricket commentating geek who still says "he nicked off" when a batsman gets an outside edge? :tongueoutv1:
It's fa'rkin annoying jargon that I hope dies with "quarterback" being used by AFL commentators
'Nicked off' has annoyed me for a while. They say it like it's an old cricket term that has been around for decades, but it's utter crap that they think sounds sophisticated.

Ukrainian
Ukranian, Jason PorplyZia (Crows/West Adelaide), and his uncle Andy PorplyCia who played for Port Adelaide in the 70's/80's

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone else sick and tired of a trio of hasbeens earbashing each other - and us - about their dazzling careers while play is in progress? Something happens that we’d like an explanation or opinion for but they are too busy with their mutual backslapping. And I don’t care if it is Brian Lara and it’s “only” BBL.

Anyone else sick and tired of a trio of hasbeens earbashing each other - and us - about their dazzling careers while play is in progress? Something happens that we’d like an explanation or opinion for but they are too busy with their mutual backslapping. And I don’t care if it is Brian Lara and it’s “only” BBL.
Yes, especially when it is very repetitive. As much as I loved Warnie as a cricketer, I don't need to hear about his MCG hat-trick and 700th wicket in depth every Boxing Day Test.

Yes, especially when it is very repetitive. As much as I loved Warnie as a cricketer, I don't need to hear about his MCG hat-trick and 700th wicket in depth every Boxing Day Test.
Yep the other day he was on with Howie and Harsha (encouraging him) and went on a 5 minute tirade about wrist spin all the while plays unfolding.
No wrist spinners were playing in that match.
Switched to channel 7 where Ponting was analysing the state of play!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back