Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Dal Santo: "the runs came in drips and drabs".
Ok, not a big one :grinv1:

This is more usually written than spoken, but I hate “Richmond Tigers, Hawthorn Hawks” etc. Americanises our older clubs’ names. Also loses credibility with me - sounds like the writer doesn’t actually know our game, like calling rugby league “rugby”. Of course, it’s fine for S Swans, WC Eagles, etc - those are their official names.

This is more usually written than spoken, but I hate “Richmond Tigers, Hawthorn Hawks” etc. Americanises our older clubs’ names. Also loses credibility with me - sounds like the writer doesn’t actually know our game, like calling rugby league “rugby”. Of course, it’s fine for S Swans, WC Eagles, etc - those are their official names.
Haven't the Geelong Cats and North Melbourne Kangaroos also officially gone down that path? They probably all will eventually.

Interesting use this year of “AFL mens”

As in “the first game of the AFL Men’s season.” “AFL men’s footy is back” instead of just “footy’s back”

So as not to offend the women’s game I’d imagine. The Age has used it a bit last few days.

Interesting use this year of “AFL mens”

As in “the first game of the AFL Men’s season.” “AFL men’s footy is back” instead of just “footy’s back”

So as not to offend the women’s game I’d imagine. The Age has used it a bit last few days.
no way!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed

There was another one I can’t find.

Oh. My gripe with those articles was the use of ‘ in afl men’s

Wonder if those journalists have noted with interest that recently some women in aussie rules football and cricket want the W removed.

Nathan Brown loves to repeat himself.

He really likes to repeat himself.

Some commentators don't seem to understand that there are three syllables and two Ls in "brilliant".

Instead, it's bree-yent. Cameron Ling a serial offender.

Also, how many times during one game can Hamish McLachlan talk about how a player is a "great story"? Stop trying to turn everything into a human interest piece. I don't care about the last time you cried.

I don't know if this is the right place, but anytime someone says "sells some candy" I want to ram forks into my eyes.

Basically anything that passes out of BTs mouth has that effect on me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back