Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles coach simpson introduced the term "cooler" to infer tagger. Now lyon and watson are using it. They note theyre doing it in jest. but sure they are pushing it as well.

How about everyones favourite "THE" west coast, "THE" gold coast.

Simon Goodwin said "the players talked about what they wanted to do then they actioned it". I haven't heard that before; apparently it's a 'thing' :D It sounds like more poser corporate bollocks to me. HA

Last edited:

Eagles coach simpson introduced the term "cooler" to infer tagger. Now lyon and watson are using it. They note theyre doing it in jest. but sure they are pushing it as well.

How about everyones favourite "THE" west coast, "THE" gold coast.
As opposed to what Gerard Healy called them..

Tim Watson has started saying things like, "he's been backgrounded". Is "backgrounding" a thing? Is that another bit of corporate jargon bollocks? :tongueoutv1:
He also squeezes unnecessary words into sentences.

The reason why, as opposed to just "the reason".

More than what he has done before, as opposed to "more than he has before".

I can't unhear it when he speaks now.

Another new thing: "I'm excited for the football this weekend", obviously instead of "about the football". It doesn't make sense. I'm pretty sure it's another Americanism.

Speaking of which: I've said this ten times on here, but it does my faking head when people like Garry Lyon and Tony Shaw pronounce "era" as "erra", like the Americans. It's fa'rkin "eera". Ugh! Haroomph! :grinv1:

Last edited:
While I'm at it, what's with this happy "any day of the week" bullshit? People on radio saying "happy Monday, fellas". "Happy Tuesday."
WTF! Is that another millennial bulldust thing? Sam McClure does it, as do many talkback callers. Would anyone on here say "happy Monday" to one of their mates? I didn't think so. :tongueoutv1:

Last edited:
All the kids say 'versing' these days and I've been horrified to even hear it from a few commentators.

'Carlton are versing Essendon this week'.

'They versed Geelong on Saturday'.

William Shakespeare Round

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some commentators don't seem to understand that there are three syllables and two Ls in "brilliant".

Instead, it's bree-yent. Cameron Ling a serial offender.

Also, how many times during one game can Hamish McLachlan talk about how a player is a "great story"? Stop trying to turn everything into a human interest piece. I don't care about the last time you cried.

Michael Clarke pronouncing it “brill-yant” back in the day was excruciating

Jobe Watson was talking about the history of close games between Essendon and Sydney and referred to it being "the standus operatus between these teams".

I heard this, had to rewind to confirm it was Jobe.

I love Jobe as Essendon supporter, but when you start making up words you know you’re not fit to be a commentator’s arsehole. Needs to be sacked immediately.

Tom Morris on AFL Tonight said he is really looking forward to the ‘Duddy & Busty’ show on Saturday, yeah me too Tom Lol
Fricking thieves.

Not sure who the triple commentator was on last nights game describing a ruck dual between Hickey and The Package - not verbatim but pretty close:

"there's 10 centimeters height difference between them - thats nearly a foot!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back