Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

in speech you could perhaps be forgiven for using and overusing the chocolates term, but in a book??? surely publishers et al identified the high frequency and changed the term accordingly in parts?

I would have thought so. There are plenty of other terms to mix it up. After the first few times ‘the big dance’ was mentioned it became very annoying.

Couldn't agree more. I'd put 'the big dance' in the same category. Didn't mind it until it was repeated over and over again in Sam Mitchell's book. Can't stand it now. The chocolates one or 'get the chockies' is a shocker though.

Yep the Big Dance is triggering and...and s**t

I heard some new jargon from Jordan Lewis: "they usually use a deep numerical". WTF?! :tongueoutv1:
After Gerard Healy quized him about it, I think he said it's an extra defender who gets a lot of disposals

Twice today, Kelli Underwood mentions how the Gold Coast fans in attendance have made the trip "up" to Ballarat.
Well as you can’t travel directly “down” from the Gold Coast to Ballarat, except by car, and I don’t think they would have had enough notice to do that, they probably were Melbourne-based Suns fans going “up” 😀 (or had flown “down” 😉)

Well as you can’t travel directly “down” from the Gold Coast to Ballarat, except by car, and I don’t think they would have had enough notice to do that, they probably were Melbourne-based Suns fans going “up” 😀 (or had flown “down” 😉)
Yeah that's fair. I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan of hers, tbh, the only person I like who was on commentary today was Brad Johnson. Derm, herself and Dwayne were very ordinary IMO

Leigh Montagna on Dead Set Legends this morning was talking about Dustin Martin and saying he could be the second best or the first best player in the comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know why but the one thing I have never been able to stomach hearing in football circles is when clubs and players talk about their brand of football.
I think it is one of the most overused words in the game.

When experts talk about clubs brands they just make s**t up on the fly. Cause footy isn’t as structured as they think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back