sosos

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL 360 Jordan Lewis,

Lee and Maver.

To be fair, corrected himself very quickly. May and Lever.

To be extra fair, I heard it, then typed "Mee and Laver" and then had to go back and re-listen! :)

Last edited:

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
AFL 360 Jordan Lewis,

Lee and Maver.

To be fair, corrected himself very quickly. May and Lever.

To be extra fair, I heard it, then typed "Mee and Laver" and then had to go back and re-listen! :)
Perhaps he's a fan of The La's*

*80s English pop band best known for There She Goes, and whose frontman was Lee Mavers.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
A lot of people wouldn't know how to say this one, but
A couple of weeks on Footy Classified's Good Call? Bad Call?, Matt Lloyd had to read out "thou doth protest too much" as part of a question, and he pronounced 'doth' as "doath". To be fair, he said before he read it that he was probably gunna stuff it up, but it's still funny :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
A lot of people wouldn't know how to say this one, but
A couple of weeks on Footy Classified's Good Call? Bad Call?, Matt Lloyd had to read out "thou doth protest too much" as part of a question, and he pronounced 'doth' as "doath". To be fair, he said before he read it that he was probably gunna stuff it up, but it's still funny :)
Standus operatus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Shouldn't that be "Standum opertum[um[/u] ? Accusative, the verb understood ?
You might not be familiar with Jobe Watson's most infamous Jobeism :grinv1:

Standus Operatus

Oct 9, 2004
Phuket
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Scorpions West Ham
After Buddy kicked his second goal today Nick dal Santo said he was playing on “Phill” Collins.

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Why do so many people say “asterix” when they mean “asterisk”? Daisy Pearce the latest.

Going back a bit, but this is a phenomenon referred to as "metathesis" where consonants in a word are transposed, usually because the consonants in the original word are atypical for the language. In the case of "asterix" (or "axe" instead of "ask") the transposition occurs because the phoneme /ks/ is much more common in English than the phoneme /sk/. Give it a few hundred years and I'm pretty sure "asterix" and "axe" will have become the standard in the vernacular for that very reason.

Going back a bit, but this is a phenomenon referred to as "metathesis" where consonants in a word are transposed, usually because the consonants in the original word are atypical for the language. In the case of "asterix" (or "axe" instead of "ask") the transposition occurs because the phoneme /ks/ is much more common in English than the phoneme /sk/. Give it a few hundred years and I'm pretty sure "asterix" and "axe" will have become the standard in the vernacular for that very reason.
Or they were brought up on this

6BDB855F-AE3F-4250-B2EC-07F892A1E689.jpeg

Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Damo Bazza uses machinations in a way that's jarring and mostly out of place. As an example - "following that game, the machinations for the rest of the season are very interesting."

Per Merriam-Webster, it can be defined as - a scheming or crafty action or artful design intended to accomplish some usually evil end.

Does my head in. Unless a team is losing/winning as some sort of Machiavellian scheme, I reckon Damo should be using ramifications instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back