Verbeek has quit!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Good.

He was a good short term manager to get us to the WC, but now I want someone to actually teach our players to play football, not this 4-5-1 rubbish.

I know it would be hard as a national team manager to instill any sort of 'culture' but we need to ditch the 'we're fast, strong and technically awful' image.

More attacking football please!!!

We have the strikers!!!!!

We do? Jesus you learn something new every day...

He got us through our first proper go through Asia in prompt fashion so he should be applauded for that. We're a mere stepping stone in his career but that's to be expected, hopefully someone with some peidgree can come in next...Troussier would even do perhaps.

Good.

He was a good short term manager to get us to the WC, but now I want someone to actually teach our players to play football, not this 4-5-1 rubbish.

Definitely was a short term manager - brought in after Football Australia couldn't get any "high profile" manager

Never seemed overly happy to be here, and never appeared very likable too

Hope the Aussie do well in the World Cup

But hope Football Australia appoint the best manager they can for the next 4 years and not just the best "big name" they can get a hold of.

Or worse still the best short term choice when no big names want to move so far from Europe for 4 years

This is almost as in accurate as the Sheedy Sacked headlines!

PVB has always stated that he wants a club job, so he was always going to exit after the cup.

1-5-4 Thats the way of international football nowadays. Even Guss played that system.

I can't see a new coach coming in and playing a different format, unless you want Farina back

It wasn't really a surprise anyway.

He made his intentions clear to try his hand at club football after the World Cup.

Credit to him, he got us there.

Hopefully we get someone who has more than 1 game plan in his mind.

Definitely was a short term manager - brought in after Football Australia couldn't get any "high profile" manager

Never seemed overly happy to be here, and never appeared very likable too

Hope the Aussie do well in the World Cup

But hope Football Australia appoint the best manager they can for the next 4 years and not just the best "big name" they can get a hold of.

Or worse still the best short term choice when no big names want to move so far from Europe for 4 years

There needs to be a couple of appointments.

A big name coach isn't necassarily all there cracked up to be. Do alright with us and a big name team will come and grab them. What we need is a manager who is developing and will be committed for the long haul. A good technical director will help as well. That'll give us the best chance of doing well. I'm not sure who's in the role now (I believe Baan left).

Also need to focus on the youth development because at the moment, we've got the remains of the greatest generation of players in our history. I'm not convinced that the quality in youth is anywhere near as strong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Please enlighten me and show me where we have international level quality strikers at our disposal.

Coz last time i checked we have none

Oh Cmon, Josh Kennedy, Scott McDonald and John Aloisi are stars.:p

Seriously though, it is the one short coming we have, and I think Pim should be congratulated for getting us to the world cup in our first attempt in Asia, most don't seem to know how hard the qualifying path actually was, especially without consistent, reliable goal scoring options.

I mean for christ sakes, we rely on Cahill, Bresciano and Kewell to score more then we do our strikers, doesn't make a good base going into the "group of death", but you can't blame Pim for not playing better strikers, because their are none.

Pim was always going to be on a hiding to nothing following Guus though, and I think in years to come, when we miss out on qualifying a few times for the WC, some people will start to think that Pim wasn't so bad after all.

My hope for the world cup is 2 draws and a win, I think it's the only way we qualify for the knockout stages, and Pim's strategy just might get us there.

yeah but matty who cares about winning if you look nice!

geeze louise -after all the heartache we have been through you would of thought fans would be greatfull to the coaches who got us to the World Cup

Without a doubt I would give up the years we looked nice to stop having our hearts ripped out every 4 years every day of the week and twice on sundays!!!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Please enlighten me and show me where we have international level quality strikers at our disposal.

Coz last time i checked we have none

Kennedy and McDonald together would be a perfect combo but we don't get the chance to see it.

So pretty much we are all slating our coach who got us to the WC easily because he wouldnt play a decent CC/SPL level striker in a 4-4-2 system with a guy playing in Japan??

The guy did what he could with what he had available. He saw we had great midfield depth and poor striking stocks what other formation could you expect him to play

Kennedy and McDonald together would be a perfect combo but we don't get the chance to see it.

By playing them two together you are deprieving the midfield of an extra player who would be streets ahead of either striker. Someone like Wilkshere, Culina or Grella would have to miss out to compensate them two.

-------------Kennedy-----------------McDonald--------------

--------------------------Cahill-------------------------------

----Kewell-----------------Grella------------------Wilkshere/Emerton

I'd much rather play Culina or Bresciano then either McDonald and Kennedy. Even if that means playing 1 striker. We have the depth in the midfield where we have international quality players who can play at the highest standard. We should be playing our best players and playing too our strenghs and not playing two strikers just for the sake of playing two strikers.

Don't get the hate for Verbeek. Has qualified us easily for two major tournaments dealing with injuries and retirements to major players, and is probably one of our most successful coaches ever. This thread will be an interesting read if our next coach is a flop.

I've written about this ad nauseum before, so I won't rehash in depth, but my rationale is Verbeek has achieved nothing more than the bulk of his predecessors would've had they enjoyed the resources, fixtures and qualifying structure he has - but there's this general perception that Pim has this crazy Dutch magic that sets him apart from say, the likes of Frank Farina, Frank Arok or Eddie Thomson.

Had Venables' excellent class of 1997 been afforded the chances and opponents that Pim has, they'd have qualified for France with bells on. Ditto Farina and his class of 2001.

Would I trust this current Socceroo crop, led by Pim, to win a cutthroat last chance qualifer in Buenos Aries or Montevideo, or get anything more than a point in front of 130000 screaming Iranians in Tehran?

Nup. No way.

He's a functionally solid, no-nonsense, basic, boring European manager who was managing the might of the Netherlands Antilles not long ago. Our qualification is down to the degree of difficulty for World Cup qualification plummeting moreso than his nous or ability outstripping his predecessors.

By playing them two together you are deprieving the midfield of an extra player who would be streets ahead of either striker. Someone like Wilkshere, Culina or Grella would have to miss out to compensate them two.

-------------Kennedy-----------------McDonald--------------

--------------------------Cahill-------------------------------

----Kewell-----------------Grella------------------Wilkshere/Emerton

I'd much rather play Culina or Bresciano then either McDonald and Kennedy. Even if that means playing 1 striker. We have the depth in the midfield where we have international quality players who can play at the highest standard. We should be playing our best players and playing too our strenghs and not playing two strikers just for the sake of playing two strikers.

Exactly, in international football especially you have to play to your strengths with the hand you are dealt. Did France win it in 1998 with a top notch striker? No way in the world.

Also, Verbeek has learned his trade since the Antilles job as the number 2 at huge clubs and South Korea and wasn't thrusted in to a major job like Frank 'jobs for the boys' Farina or that idiot coaching the Roar were.

Are you all going to go 'I told you so' when someone like Graham Souness would come along and we score 2 but concede four?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back