Vernon Philander to call it quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic bowler. One of SA's best. If one was to be slightly critical one would probably mention that had he got himself seriously fit he would have played 100 tests

Fantastic bowler. One of SA's best. If one was to be slightly critical one would probably mention that had he got himself seriously fit he would have played 100 tests

Possibly, had to wait 7 years for a test debut too though. And a handful of his injuries were non fitness related. Unquestionably could have developed his body more though

Possibly, had to wait 7 years for a test debut too though. And a handful of his injuries were non fitness related. Unquestionably could have developed his body more though
He's still a young man now really. 34 isn't old for a seamer of his pace these days. But he always seemed to carry a paunch every time I saw him. He was probably fit for your average bloke but compared to the body shapes some teams have, he looked a few years behind imo

He's still a young man now really. 34 isn't old for a seamer of his pace these days. But he always seemed to carry a paunch every time I saw him. He was probably fit for your average bloke but compared to the body shapes some teams have, he looked a few years behind imo
Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s retiring to take up a Kolpak deal before Brexit prevents it.

I hope he does do that. SA need to keep these people involved.

Talk already has started in the media though so it could happen I reckon.

Absolutely beautiful bowler to watch, one of the most graceful I've seen operating short of a length outside off. There's some great quicks about the moment, but none really in his style I can think of off the top of my head. Hope he goes out with a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just another on the list of great South African players we hardly ever got to enjoy first hand.

Absolutely beautiful bowler to watch, one of the most graceful I've seen operating short of a length outside off. There's some great quicks about the moment, but none really in his style I can think of off the top of my head. Hope he goes out with a win.

This.
Just a real throwback to another era.

Wouldn’t make my best 11 from the last 10-20 years but if the conditions were remotely green he would be my first name on the team sheet. One thing I liked about him that you can’t necessarily always say about bowlers of his ilk, is that even in conditions that didn’t suit, he could still play a role drying up an end for Steyn and Morkel etc to attack from

Absolutely brilliant bowler in helpful conditions. Probably the most accurate bowler of his era. Guy just kept probing in around the off stump and found a way to overcome his lack of pace in helpful conditions. In flat conditions, he mostly found a way to keep things tight through his incredible accuracy.

But one criticism of his career is that he could become a bit impotent when the conditions weren't helpful for fast bowling, particularly in asian conditions where the wickets tend to be on the slower side. I basically consider him the fast bowling version of Ashwin. I wish he cut out on his celebrappeals though, he always had a kinda annoying "Yeah, I know I'm good" vibe about him, which tbh he was entitled to because he was very very good. Boy did he love Cape Town, was pretty much invincible in that venue.

Absolutely brilliant bowler in helpful conditions. Probably the most accurate bowler of his era. Guy just kept probing in around the off stump and found a way to overcome his lack of pace in helpful conditions. In flat conditions, he mostly found a way to keep things tight through his incredible accuracy.

But one criticism of his career is that he could become a bit impotent when the conditions weren't helpful for fast bowling, particularly in asian conditions where the wickets tend to be on the slower side. I basically consider him the fast bowling version of Ashwin. I wish he cut out on his celebrappeals though, he always had a kinda annoying "Yeah, I know I'm good" vibe about him, which tbh he was entitled to because he was very very good. Boy did he love Cape Town, was pretty much invincible in that venue.

He didn’t really play much in Asia though. A combined 140 overs in India and Sri Lanka. It takes time for a bowler of his type to master those sort of conditions and given his smarts I think he would have worked out a way sooner or later, in the same way Abbas has done or even Vaasy. I didn’t like his appeals either but to be fair to him they were usually out!

He didn’t really play much in Asia though. A combined 140 overs in India and Sri Lanka. It takes time for a bowler of his type to master those sort of conditions and given his smarts I think he would have worked out a way sooner or later, in the same way Abbas has done or even Vaasy. I didn’t like his appeals either but to be fair to him they were usually out!

Tbh it's bloody hard to be effective while bowling mid 120s on a slow and low deck. I agree that he might have improved on his record had he not missed his asian tours through injuries, but I also think he still would have found it very hard against strong batting line ups. Then again, only India have a very strong batting line up among the asian teams, so there's that..

Just another on the list of great South African players we hardly ever got to enjoy first hand.

Off the top of my head he had five series against us - three over there and two in Aus :think: Thats's a pretty significant proportion of an 8 or 9 year test career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back