Opinion VERSUS Bout four: Derek Kickett vs Dean Rioli

who wins this battle Kickett v Rioli

• Kickett

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Rioli

Votes: 22 43.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd suggest we need to consider doing the versus players in a similar era. There's a lot of younger posters just voting for the guy they've seen play and not the older player who was probably better.

I have maybe one memory of Kickett in the red and black. I do remember his Sydney days, and he was more than handy there too.

Rioli could have been a freak had he applied himself more and had he had better luck with injuries.

96kg is a ridiculous weight for a footballer of only 5'11. Hard to fathom how he was allowed to maintain a weight like that, to be honest- what were Sheedy and co. doing exactly?

Anyway, since I didn't see enough of Kickett at Essendon, I'll abstain from this one.
If only we had AOD back then

Both were brilliant but too fat. Kickett was a better player but Rioli was a better bloke. In a pie eating contest I would call it a dead heat.

Both were brilliant but too fat. Kickett was a better player but Rioli was a better bloke. In a pie eating contest I would call it a dead heat.
What you talking about? image.jpg

For me Rioli more silky smooth, Kicket more freakish. Very difficult comparison. Rioli certainly was given more leeway during his career, and disappointed Kicket was dropped for the GF after kicking 23 goals in 8 rounds towards the end of the 93 season averaging 3 a game, plenty of quality possession, and clearly winning several games off his own boot.
Kicket just

Last edited:
Was too young when Kickett was in his prime so for me Rioli. Only because I watched a lot of his games.

I've gone big Dean Rioli for this one.

Derek had a knack for the sublime. A long goal, a freak mark a turn or pace... stopping mid step to change direction - at his best he had a lot. The thing that took it away from him in this vote, for mine, was that he could be quite selfish at times. Don't get me wrong, what he did was jaw dropping and certainly sold tickets. But if he had a chance at a torpedo from 55-60 out versus passing off into the F50, he'd take the kick. He had some discipline, but he wasn't always the guy who'd bring players into the game.

Deano had the ability, but as has been said, his body let him down too often. When he was on the park, he had the ball on a string. Silky skills, great hands, beautiful kick - all made him a better than average player. The thing that made his stand out, when his body and stamina let him down, was his fantastic football brain. In the blink of an eye, Dean assessed the play and was able to play three steps ahead of his opposition. At times, rather than taking possession while having a player bearing down on him about to lay a tackle - he'd palm out the ball to someone 5m away in space to keep the play rolling. Though a big lad, he could take a grab... and split a pack of 6 footers. Uncannily, he would seem to land on his feet after the fly 9 times out of 10 and be in the next link up play.

Don't get me wrong, both were excellent servants for the EFC. I was a huge fan of both and equally disappointed when their careers finished at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some topics:

Kickett was not overweight during his career at Essendon. He ballooned out when he left. I remember seeing him in the Sydney jumper first time and thinking jeepers he's stacked it on. Probably developed an eating habit to cope with his disappointment of missing the 93 flag. Rioli was overweight during his Essendon career which led to his constant injuries. Rioli famously had an offseason on the Tiwi islands eating lots of turtle meat when he ballooned out and came back in bad shape. Only his skill got him through.

Sheedy issued a public warning to Kickett prior to the prelim final that he needed to perform or face the axe. He didn't perform and was rightfully dropped following more than a month of bad form. Kickett was a massive sook for mine. A better bloke would have stayed on and fought to be part of a potential 94 flag.

Feel like Kickett had a bigger impact and a better career but if I could choose one on the proviso that they'd stay fit and play 200 games I'd take Rioli.

Favourite memory of Rioli was his goal in the last quarter vs the blues in that massive H&A game in 2000. I think he ran about 25m, weaving in and out of players, but it looked so damn good the umpire forgot to blow the whistle.

For some reason my favourite memory of Kickett was that game vs the hawks at Waverley in '93 (Hird kicked 5 in his breakout game and Bruce fell in love) where he conned the umpire into giving him a free kick for in the back by doing a spread eagle while lying on the footy. Not sure anyone else could have pulled it off.

My favourite memory of Rioli was one day (at Waverley I think) where he evaded. ducked, and balked around Hawthorn players at will and seemingly in slow motion. It was almost not part of the game; more a display.

For me Rioli more silky smooth, Kicket more freakish. Very difficult comparison. Rioli certainly was given more leeway during his career, and disappointed Kicket was dropped for the GF after kicking 23 goals in 8 rounds towards the end of the 93 season averaging 3 a game, plenty of quality possession, and clearly winning several games off his own boot.
Kicket just
Can people stop saying that like it is some amazing stat? He kicked 18 of those in four games. Meaning he kicked 5 in 4 and that ignores that 8 game stretch is bookended by 2 games of 0 meaning 5 in 6 and also that he kicked 1 goal in 3 finals.

So 18 in 4 and 6 in 9. Or 24 in 13.

There was a nice little moment on sunday where Howlett, with a player who had his back to the ball wanting to spoil, did a fake attempt at the mark, so the player moved his arms early, Howlett could take the mark a moment later and play on.

Reminded me of the best one of those I've seen which was by Dean Rioli in an Anzac day match (I think). So Rioli gets my vote because those fakes are the perfect combination of talent, poise and desire to take the piss.

There was a nice little moment on sunday where Howlett, with a player who had his back to the ball wanting to spoil, did a fake attempt at the mark, so the player moved his arms early, Howlett could take the mark a moment later and play on.

Reminded me of the best one of those I've seen which was by Dean Rioli in an Anzac day match (I think). So Rioli gets my vote because those fakes are the perfect combination of talent, poise and desire to take the piss.
Do you remember what quarter that was?

I reckon blokes are doing that a little more often these days. Just the last couple of years I've seen a few players doing it. Its almost like a trend.

Back