Review Very ugly vs North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to focus on this week, but he had 23 uncontested possessions and went at 65% DE. He was certainly no orphan, but his DE is rarely above 70 and he's averaging 68% DE in 2017. His kick to handball ratio is 1:2. If his weapon is his effective clearing handball, then Im not seeing enough of it. I also agree he has to kick far more, but a guy who predominately handballs should have a much higher DE. For example, Ben Cunnington, a workhorse like Matt who flogged us inside on the weekend, also has a 1:2 kick to handball ratio but goes at 73% in a side thats been losing.

Not trying to pile on Matt Crouch who I think has plenty to offer, to be really good in this role, to be a diesel Williams or Scott West, he needs better vision

I've said many times he doesn't really see the field well enough to be truly elite, it's not instinctual. He works welll in tight, he's neat, but he doesn't really see the release, the space, the gaps opening up.

He's still a good player as is, but his impact is limited until he can really feel and see the field.

I absolutely agree with all this bar the "limited talent" part, I think you along with a lot of other posters on in this thread are under estimating the talent on the North list quite a bit. They were very competitive last season and with just an ounce of luck going their way the argument could be made that they could easily be sitting on 5 Wins 2 losses this season.
Certainly a subjective view but I feel Ziebell, Cunnington, Gibson, Turner, Hrovat etc. are very much a blue collar midfield that rely on attack on the ball and industry above sheer talent. Last season they had Dal Santo, Wells and Harvey as the outside silk. Maybe it's the lack of that rather than luck that has them 2 and 5 instead of the 7 and 0 they were this time last season.

I never saw Waite as anything but an average to good forward (who had potential but never quite made it) at Carlton. His career average is 1.5 goals per game. Hardly anything to get excited about.
Mate get your head out of the stats sheet and watch the game. Waite is supremely talented. Averages 1.5 goals a game? Pretty good for a bloke that's played a lot in defence and played in a garbage side most of his career. Eddie's is 1.9.

Mate get your head out of the stats sheet and watch the game. Waite is supremely talented. Averages 1.5 goals a game? Pretty good for a bloke that's played a lot in defence and played in a garbage side most of his career. Eddie's is 1.9.

Not normally drawn to agree with the captain, but Hunter you must be crazy

Waite was a CHF at Carlton so his goal output isn't that important and when fit was a superb player

No question. None

The problem with Matt Crouch is the problem with a lot of slowish accumulator players: their impact is diminished when they are forced to do more of the heavy lifting because of a lack of quality around them

He should not be our no.2 mid and it's not his fault we don't have better players around him

Would be a star (ish) if he were the Tyson Edwards type no.4 guy in the rotation

Or more to the point we could praise his qualities more than his shortcomings if we didn't ask too much of him

Well said.

At least it sounds like Roo was super pissed off and "they won't be reading their own publicity as much in future". Let's hope so.

Your generalisation that Waite played in a "garbage side" really doesn't explain his lack of success at Carlton. As a forward you would be happy how the ball came in during the Judd years? What more could he want? Fev did ok.

You say he was "pretty good" for a guy switched to defence??? .........What does this tell you?.

Your generalisation that Waite played in a "garbage side" really doesn't explain his lack of success at Carlton. As a forward you would be happy how the ball came in during the Judd years? What more could he want? Fev did ok.

You say he was "pretty good" for a guy switched to defence??? .........What does this tell you?.
That Carlton had glaring deficiencies in defence necessitating putting a "decent" player down back?

Not normally drawn to agree with the captain, but Hunter you must be crazy

Waite was a CHF at Carlton so his goal output isn't that important and when fit was a superb player

No question. None

So you agreed with Captain Furious!...The same guy who said in an earlier post that the Crows lost because of the Toss. I'll let that sink in.;)

Yeah Fev did ok. At full forward while Waite was CHF. Is he supposed to have the same goal average? And yes, some top level players get switched from attack to defence and back again. If you watched a game sometime, you might learn something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd was a poor kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back