Workshop Vexillology - A Place for Flags

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is my current desk flag collection. I am planning to add a couple more one of these days.
For the normies that don't know: Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States.
20190125_233701.jpg

I saw that on r/vexillology, it's just a sun in the style of aboriginal dot painting. Personally, don't really like it. It's not really much of an improvement on our current flag, which is pretty hard to do.

And there is one of the major problems with this design. Aboriginal art is supposed to be a representation of a story, not just something thrown together.

That is one reason why I am 100% against having Aboriginal designs on the flag.

weird flex, but ok
Not trying to flex, just acknowledging the importance of it. :cool:

Those are your vocals, right? :)
Nope, political campaign from an election year in a country from the region.:huh: The term Macedonia in relation to Dobromesto would refer to the ancient kingdom of Philip II and Alexander the Great in this anthem.

That's correct. Junior year of high school (that was ten years ago this coming June already :eek::'() in a sport marketing class, we finished early because the class were half seniors who graduated a month ahead of us, the six of us left played a game of risk with a giant wall map in the room the class was held. I used the Balkan peninsula as my stronghold under the "Dobromesto" banner and won the game after the four weeks finished. I even made currency in one of my graphic design classes. It was all about depoliticizing the tensions already existent within the region.

I got some new desk flags today (India, Pakistan, South Africa and Sri Lanka). I was a bit disappointed with the India flag, it seems to be made from a different material compared to the others. The others seem to be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vexillology

Thought this area of graphic design needed it's own space for designing and discussion. Feel free to post anything flag related into this thread, whether it be a design you have created for an existing, historical or even fictional country/entity. Could be news about a flag change, anything really

Flags are a huge passion of mine, and probably what got me into caring about footy jumpers in the first place. After all, what is a guernsey other than a banner that has been turned into a wearable cloth :p

View attachment 608888

Was this posted here already? Regardless, it is always worthy watching:

Note: in Brazil, even though we are not as good as the Europeans (specially the Brits), we are not as bad at flag designs as the Americans.

Here, our state flags:
images

They were all adopted after the Republican coup of 1889. During the empire, the then Provinces had other flags.

Last edited:

Note: in Brazil, even though we are not as good as the Europeans (specially the Brits), we are not as bad at flag designs as the Americans.

Here, our state flags:
images

Didn't realise we had a Brazillian on our board :) Welcome!

Didn't realise we had a Brazillian on our board :) Welcome!
I am usually around the Port board. I rarely adventure myself elsewhere. But, hey, it is off-season! (And currently things aren't good at Port... :()

Here, our state flags:
images

They were all adopted after the Republican coup of 1889. During the empire, the then Provinces had other flags.

Wow, how did you find the great game of Aussie Rules? I love the Brazil flag, very iconic.

Wow, how did you find the great game of Aussie Rules?
Port Adelaide has made me this very same question!

----
I love the Brazil flag, very iconic.
It is mainly the Imperial flag design, as you can see below. The Republicans tried to adopt one inspired on the American flag, but it was so bad it lasted four DAYS. Here, the official historic flags of Brazil:
iu

In my previous post, one can see that the first Republican flag was ultimately adpoted, with few changes, by three states (Goiás, Piauí, and Sergipe). The US influence can also be seen in São Paulo's and Maranhão's.

The Constitutional Regime Flag (1821-1822) was adopted by Portugal only in 1825. Brazil uses it retroactively to symbolize the period in which we lived under the First Portuguese Constitution, after the return of the Royal family from Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon. Rio was the capital of the Portuguese Empire between 1808-1821.

Last edited:
Been a while since the last post here so thought I'd revive it with some of my own Australia Flag concepts. Did both a green and heraldic blue variants for both designs.

Design #1 (left)
  • The base of the flag is navy which owing to the idea of a country that is girt by sea.
  • The wave reinforces that symbolism, with the colours representing ideals of peace/harmony (white), wealth/affluence (gold) and natural beauty (green) that resides within our nation.
  • The Federation Star and Southern Cross retain their original meanings and are positioned in such a way to be familiar with the current flag.
  • Flag is brought to a standardised 1:2 ratio.
Design #2 (right)
  • The navy base of the flag holds the same meaning as Design #1
  • The gold segment has a direct meaning of wealth/affluence and a more abstract meaning of the sand/shores that surround Australia.
  • An altered 8-pointed Federation Star is featured, with an extra point being added for First Nation Peoples of Australia.
  • Southern Cross positioning intended to inspire familiarity with the current flag.
1635227920732.png flag v5 heraldic.png
1635228288054.png flag v5.png

Been a while since the last post here so thought I'd revive it with some of my own Australia Flag concepts. Did both a green and heraldic blue variants for both designs.

Design #1 (left)
  • The base of the flag is navy which owing to the idea of a country that is girt by sea.
  • The wave reinforces that symbolism, with the colours representing ideals of peace/harmony (white), wealth/affluence (gold) and natural beauty (green) that resides within our nation.
  • The Federation Star and Southern Cross retain their original meanings and are positioned in such a way to be familiar with the current flag.
Design #2 (right)
  • The gold segment has a direct meaning of wealth/affluence and a more abstract meaning of the sand/shores that surround Australia.
  • An altered 8-pointed Federation Star is featured, with an extra point being added for First Nation Peoples of Australia.
  • Southern Cross positioning intended to inspire familiarity with the current flag.
View attachment 1268173 View attachment 1268178
View attachment 1268179 View attachment 1268174
nice! bottom right & top left are my favourites.

Design #1 (left)
Design #2 (right)
View attachment 1268173 View attachment 1268178
View attachment 1268179 View attachment 1268174

Another vote for bottom right, very nice work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back