Portfolio VFA Jumpers (by West_Coast_Eagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Vfa jumpers

Camberwell with the panels corrected:

2wqyamb.png

Was the first year. The rebranding and expansion were part of the same project.

Something I remember from 10 years ago - Box Hill wore a 50th anniversary jumper which was supposedly based on their initial jumper. It was silver with a brown-gold-brown V and a BHFC monogram off to the side (like Hawks' 1925/heritage). 1951 was when the club was established in its "present" form, there was a Box Hill FC before that though.

Found this pic of the old Box Hill FC from 1945 through one of my old sources (being a former resident of Box Hill, I'm very interested in local history around the area):

http://www.localhist.wev.vic.gov.au/search.php?action=result&RegistrationNumber=B0254

Would be an easy jumper design to knock up... brown, gold V, white horse instead of monogram.

When Box Hll joined the VFA in 1954 (along with Moorabbin) they wore a brown jumper with a gold V/Yoke with a Mustang horse on the front.

My favorite VFA jumpers are/were

Sandringham,Oakleigh,PortMelb,Prahran,Williamstown and Brunswick which was similar to Collingwoods but with an all black back that made it look tougher.

Re: VFA Jumpers

were the 3 booted? or jumped ship? 3 teams to leave at the end of one season is very odd. especally when 2 of these clubs were pretty big

were the 3 booted? or jumped ship? 3 teams to leave at the end of one season is very odd. especally when 2 of these clubs were pretty big

They jumped.

Dandenong were broke and about to be kicked out of the comp before 1994, then they reformed as the Dandy Redlegs and went belly up anyway.

As an Oakleigh supporter, I can say we'd been battling for 15 years before we pulled out.

The 1980s and early 1990s had a stack of clubs leaving due to financial issues, some even folding mid-season. Very few clubs were able to depart on their own terms. Prahran have probably fared the best, going into the VAFA.

The 1980s and early 1990s had a stack of clubs leaving due to financial issues, some even folding mid-season. Very few clubs were able to depart on their own terms. Prahran have probably fared the best, going into the VAFA.

The last three to leave all started or affiliated themselves with Under 18's teams.

Prahran went into recess and fielded some junior teams before merging with Southbank and entering senior VAFA company. They are now meerged with Assumption College Kilmore and are called Prahran Assumption. They also still have a link with the Dragons.

Oakleigh and Dandenong still have their Under 18's teams of course.

Of all the teams that withdrew from the VFA, several are still kicking.

Mordialloc went back to the SFL and still plays there.

Geelong West merged with St Peters and is playing in the GFL

Yarraville continued to field teams at junior level, and in 1996 merged with Kingsville, which later merged with Seddon, and are now called the Yarraville-Seddon Eagles. They play in the WRFL.

Waverley dropped back into the EFL, later merged with Mt Waverley Burwood and are now the Waverley Blues.

Short lived teams Kilsyth and Berwick dropped back to their original leagues and still play there.

All other clubs disappeared. Clubs like Northcote Park and Caulfield Bears are often thought to be related to former VFA clubs, but are not.

Dandenong Redlegs consider themselves a re emergence of the old VFA club, but it's a loose connection at best.

Interesting how Waverley Blues came about, given the Panthers wore red and black, and Mt Waverley wore green and gold (at least they did when they were Mt Waverley Catholic FC in the SFL).

The last three to leave all started or affiliated themselves with Under 18's teams.

Prahran went into recess and fielded some junior teams before merging with Southbank and entering senior VAFA company. They are now meerged with Assumption College Kilmore and are called Prahran Assumption. They also still have a link with the Dragons.

Oakleigh and Dandenong still have their Under 18's teams of course.

Of all the teams that withdrew from the VFA, several are still kicking.

Mordialloc went back to the SFL and still plays there.

Geelong West merged with St Peters and is playing in the GFL

Yarraville continued to field teams at junior level, and in 1996 merged with Kingsville, which later merged with Seddon, and are now called the Yarraville-Seddon Eagles. They play in the WRFL.

Waverley dropped back into the EFL, later merged with Mt Waverley Burwood and are now the Waverley Blues.

Short lived teams Kilsyth and Berwick dropped back to their original leagues and still play there.

All other clubs disappeared. Clubs like Northcote Park and Caulfield Bears are often thought to be related to former VFA clubs, but are not.

Dandenong Redlegs consider themselves a re emergence of the old VFA club, but it's a loose connection at best.

yepp yarraville have a strong tie to the vfa.

i played there for a few seasons 2 years back. great club that has sorta followed 3 clubs history. (kingsville seddon and yarraville eagles.) there clubrooms are full of all 3 clubs history and photos and stuff. big photo of pagan up in there

They jumped.

Dandenong were broke and about to be kicked out of the comp before 1994, then they reformed as the Dandy Redlegs and went belly up anyway.

As an Oakleigh supporter, I can say we'd been battling for 15 years before we pulled out.

If I recall correctly the VFA had the idea of regional teams to match the TAC under 18s areas.

Therefore it was either Dandenong or Springvale that were going to be given the chop and sadly it was the Redleags.

Sadly the early 90s and late 80s saw the end of some great clubs.

They jumped.

I had an Oakleigh video, versus Sandringham at Warrawee Park from 1988. Unfortunately, I lost it when moving house.

If I recall correctly the VFA had the idea of regional teams to match the TAC under 18s areas.

Therefore it was either Dandenong or Springvale that were going to be given the chop and sadly it was the Redleags.

First point: Yes.

Second point: No. It was financial difficulties which saw Dandenong Redlegs drop out.

There are a few remnants of the regional matching:

Northern Bullants - previous Preston, the VFA/VFL team became known as the Preston Knights to match the U18s. After a few years the team decided to bring back their iconic red jumper, and reversed the name: Northern Bullants.

Oakleigh Chargers - their emblem is a white horse, because originally they were to be the South-East team, a merger of Box Hill and Oakleigh, which would play at Oakleigh but retain the Mustang logo. (As it turns out the Chargers are now linked to Port Melbourne)

Sandringham Dragons - first they were the Central Dragons, then became Prahran Dragons. When Prahran Two-Blues left the VFL, the Dragons aligned with Sandringham.

Interesting how Waverley Blues came about, given the Panthers wore red and black, and Mt Waverley wore green and gold (at least they did when they were Mt Waverley Catholic FC in the SFL).

Omegaville, I think you'll find that Waverley Blues were the result of Mt Waverley Burwood and Waverley Football Club joining.

Mt Waverley Catholic are now Mt Waverley Mountain Lions.

Thanks for that - lost sight of the SFL quite a while ago, when many of the teams migrated to the EFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

does anyone know who produced the vfa patches?

would love a few vfa patches. there are heaps on ebay but only team ones i want the league patch?
any ideas?

I still wish that these jumpers were reproduced and available. Some of the best designs the game has seen. What a great league. Oldest comp in Australia and such a rich history. I think I've got Box Hill, Port Melbourne, Werribee, Williamstown, Northern Bullants, Sandringham & Springvale. All signed by club greats.

It is a great league, and it has a great history - also fantastic that teams from country areas as well as Melbourne are represented - but it's history is not the longest in the country (You may be confused by the fact it is the parent - older- competition to the VFL).

It was founded on 17 May in 1877.

The SANFL was founded on the 30 April 1877, it is the oldest football competition of any code in the southern Hemisphere, and to my recollection only the FA cup is an older competition still in existence (the Northern Hemisphere).

True, but it's splitting hairs - they're BOTH comps that have been around a long time and it sucks to see them both being screwed over.

True, but it's splitting hairs - they're BOTH comps that have been around a long time and it sucks to see them both being screwed over.

Spot on.

The thing is though, what the original post showed - the 'modern game' has been downgraded where the vast bulk of the game's history has been whitewashed.

Yes, both the VFA ('new VFL') and the SAFA (SANFL) are of a similar age, however the knowledge of the game is being restricted to just the history of only one state.

How many know that the 'push in the back' rule is of SA origin (Kapunda Football Club), for example? How many are aware that pre-'Melbourne Rules' games of 'football' were being played in South Australia? (first recorded match is in 1843).

How many know that the game spread to Broken Hill, Perth and Darwin from Adelaide rather than Melbourne? (Indeed the only place the code spread to FROM Melbourne and STUCK was Tassie, and look how it's been sabotaged there ever since!).

The game has a rich history and rivalry between Fremantle and Perth (twin city competition). Naturally the rivalry between Norwood and Port Adelaide is legendary, and what Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton pretend to have.

This is the game - not just what has happened in one state.

Spot on.

The thing is though, what the original post showed - the 'modern game' has been downgraded where the vast bulk of the game's history has been whitewashed.

Yes, both the VFA ('new VFL') and the SAFA (SANFL) are of a similar age, however the knowledge of the game is being restricted to just the history of only one state.

How many know that the 'push in the back' rule is of SA origin (Kapunda Football Club), for example? How many are aware that pre-'Melbourne Rules' games of 'football' were being played in South Australia? (first recorded match is in 1843).

How many know that the game spread to Broken Hill, Perth and Darwin from Adelaide rather than Melbourne? (Indeed the only place the code spread to FROM Melbourne and STUCK was Tassie, and look how it's been sabotaged there ever since!).

The game has a rich history and rivalry between Fremantle and Perth (twin city competition). Naturally the rivalry between Norwood and Port Adelaide is legendary, and what Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton pretend to have.

This is the game - not just what has happened in one state.

I think you're suggesting this is a Victorian thing.

I would suggest that it is an AFL thing.

I think you're suggesting this is a Victorian thing.

I would suggest that it is an AFL thing.

And you would probably be right.

However that is not the point - blame is irrelevant - the point is that there is more to the history of the game than simply what happened in one state (out of the 4 traditional footy states). It ignores 3/4 of the game's tradition, development, history and achievement.

And you would probably be right.

However that is not the point - blame is irrelevant - the point is that there is more to the history of the game than simply what happened in one state (out of the 4 traditional footy states). It ignores 3/4 of the game's tradition, development, history and achievement.

That's fine, but are you making a point about the integrity of the games history, or is this a thinly veiled anti Victorian rant?

That's fine, but are you making a point about the integrity of the games history, or is this a thinly veiled anti Victorian rant?

My conversation in this thread is easy to follow - even if the first post is on another page. If you choose to see it a certain way then I would surmise that is the only interpretation you will allow yourself.

My conversation in this thread is easy to follow - even if the first post is on another page. If you choose to see it a certain way then I would surmise that is the only interpretation you will allow yourself.

I've read your posts.

And what it seems to me is that you are basically saying what most SA and WA supporters seem to think. That those arsehole Victorians think they own football and have revised football history to marginalize other footy states and their contributions to the game.

You are also implying by your response above that you think i'm one of these arsehole Victorians.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back