VFA Resurrection: VAFU (Fantasy!)

Remove this Banner Ad

BadGuy

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure how many people are/were VFA (now VFL) fans, so..

I was thinking about this for quite some time and over the last couple of months I thought, played with the idea and even created my own "dream" Victorian League..-

What if a few football clubs broke away (and gave the AFL the finger) and created a whole new VFA, especially since it seems that the AFL is doing all they can to destroy any trace of the old VFA by taking over the VFL and trying to rid the VFL of former VFA clubs..

Wallace Football Enterprises (not a real company!!!) presents..
~ Victorian Association Football Union (VAFU) ~
- Two Divisions - West and East
- 20 teams each Division
- 19 H&A rounds per season
- Top 8 Finals System
- Basic rules (like how the game was played in the 70's/80's)

Finals System (West division for example; East would be the same)
[Qualifying Final] = W1 v W4, W2 v W3, W5 v W8, W7 v W6
[Semi Final] = Loser of W1/W4 v Winner of W6/W7, Loser of W2/W3 v Winner of W5/W8
[Preliminary Final] = Winner of W1/W4 v Winner of 2nd Semi, Winner of W2/W3 v Winner of 1st Semi
[Grand Final] = Winner of Preliminary Final 1 v Winner of Preliminary Final 2
[Championship Final] = West Division Premiers versus East Division Premiers to crown the VAFU Premiership Champions

Teams would be:
West:
Albert Park (VAFA), Ballarat (Ballarat Football League), Barwon (formerly Newtown & Chilwell; Geelong Football League), Brunswick (VAFA), Coburg (VFL), Essendon Doutta (Essendon District Football League), Fitzroy (VAFA), Geelong Amateurs (Bellarine Football League), Geelong West (Geelong Football League), North Ballarat (VFL), Northcote Park (Northern Football League), North Footscray (Western Region Football League), Port Melbourne (VFL), Preston (VAFA), South Melbourne Districts (VAFA), Sunshine (Western Region Football League), University Blacks (VAFA), Werribee (VFL), Williamstown (VFL) and Yarraville (formerly Yarraville-Seddon; Western Region Football League)

East:
Berwick (South Eastern Football Netball League), Box Hill North (VAFA), Brighton (formerly East Brighton; Southern Football Netball League), Caulfield (Southern Football Netball League), Camberwell (VAFA), Dandenong (Southern Football Netball League), Frankston (VFL), Hawthorn A (formerly Hawthorn Amateurs; VAFA), Kilsyth (Eastern Football League), Moorabbin (Southern Football Netball League), Mordialloc (Southern Football Netball League), Oakleigh (formerly Oakleigh Amateurs; VAFA), Prahran (formerly Prahran Assumption; VAFA), Richmond Central (VAFA), Saint Kilda City (Southern Football Netball League), Sandringham (VFL), Springvale Districts (Southern Football Netball League), Traralgon (Gippsland Football League), Waverley (formerly Glen Waverley; Eastern Football League) and finally Tasmania Reserves* (Australian Rules Football Alliance (not a real league; another fantasy I threw together)

Venues Used:
West:
North Port Oval (12,000), Eureka Stadium (11,000), Coburg City Oval (15,000), Brunswick Street Oval (15,000), Williamstown Cricket Ground (10,000), Chirnsdale Park (10,000) and Kardinia Park (34,000) (unless there is another suitable ground in the Geelong area that can hold around 5,000-15,000)

East:
Frankston Park (8000), Box Hill City Oval (10,000), Moorabbin Oval (10,000), Junction Oval (10,000) and Morwell Reserve (12,000); KGV Oval (18,000)/Devonport Oval (14,000)

And at the essence of it all , local identity

Something AFL and the soccer as are deliberately taking out of the game

My last live VFA game was the '82 gf Preston .v port
I then saw the round 1 game Richmond v port , so tame , my boys and their mates were getting stuck into the $5 VB's
And slagging off at the Port players that did anything wrong near us
The Port supporters weren't happy but nothing happened, soft !
They looked but there were some big mean boys in our crew
In the 70's that would have been lunch punch on central

On that weekend we went to Collingwood v Carlton , didn't hear a Collingwood feral , couldn't believe it , that game crowd wise was tame
So to the rich Hawks game

But sat nite went to the ice hockey
It's a different crew that go to that game and my group of loud mouths found two lots that wanted to punch on
Maybe it's the Canadian Club every one was drinking

But the old head in me said let's not spend the rest of the weekend in a cop station
So got in the middle of it , hustled the others on bundled my crew into cabs constantly watching our backs

While I bemoaned in the afternoon how tame things were , I'm glad that punch on stuff has gone and a strong local comp would bring some of that back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back