Resource VFA/VFL Jumpers [image heavy thread]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Thread starter #228
Love your dedication to this project WW.
This is some quality stuff.
Thank you for your kind words. I do it to perserve the memories of clubs that are no longer playing and would become a footnote in the history of the AFL. Clubs like Morrabbin which won the VFA premiership in 1963 and were forced to leave the VFA and disband by the following July because St.Kilda was moving to their home ground. Clubs like East Melbourne who after there three seasons in the VFA in 1880 - 1882 was disbanded.

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Thank you for your kind words. I do it to perserve the memories of clubs that are no longer playing and would become a footnote in the history of the AFL. Clubs like Morrabbin which won the VFA premiership in 1963 and were forced to leave the VFA and disband by the following July because St.Kilda was moving to their home ground. Clubs like East Melbourne who after there three seasons in the VFA in 1880 - 1882 was disbanded.
And I appreciate it massively. When the VFA fell through in '94 it was a horrible time in Aussie Rules history. I was a bit young to notice it at the time, but I felt gutted when the VFL (as it was then) merged with the AFL reserves in 2000. Ever since then I haven't had the same interest in the comp. I've also learned quite a lot about VFA history thanks to you & this thread mate.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Thread starter #231
The VFA falling over in 1995 was coming for a long time. The then VFL played on Saturdays and the VFA played on Sundays. The competition would not be around today if it didn't merge. Probably clubs like Port Melbourne and Williamstown would be playing in local leagues now, and some would say they would be happier if they were. But playing in the VFL now allows them to play in the best competition outside the AFL. Keeping the memory of what was here before alive should be one of the things the VFL does. Clubs like Camberwell, Brunswick, Northcote, Prahran and Sunshine have all but been forgotten in today's world. I pass the Camberwell Sports Ground each time I go to the football. To think that the Camberwell Football Club played matches at the venue in the then VFA is hard to imagine. But they did, and so did it occur at various grounds across the Melbourne area. Remembering the past makes sure the mistakes of the past don't happen again. It also remembers the effort put in by those men over the years. They may not have their clubs running out to play anymore, but they shouldn't be forgotten.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
I am a bit too young to remember it, but the older supporters at Port are always dreaming of a return for the VFA, a competition outside the influence of AFL Victoria. If whispers are to be believed, the AFL will soon revive a dedicated reserves comp, leaving the stand alones behind and casting doubt on the futures of clubs like Casey and Box Hill.

Top Bottom