Resource VFA/VFL Jumpers [image heavy thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Added new pictures of Brunswick, Geelong, Sandringham and Gold Coast.

WBLXWbc.jpg

Last edited:

I traced the South Willy monogram & YArraville logo, just to clean them up a bit.
Is that an official club monogram? Or created for the project?
SouthWilly.gif

Yarraville.gif

The Yarraville Eagle is the Eagle logo from the jumper, about the time when Denis Pagan was coach. I had the picture on file so I thought I would use it as a background picture.

The SW South Williamstown logo is actually a WS Western Suburbs logo from Sydney. Some people used it on this site when they were designing logos for the new team from Western Sydney back in the early 2010's. As there wasn't an logo for South Williamstown I used WS logo to represent the S and W for South Williamstown. The logo has a historical feel to it which suits a club from the 1890's.

The Yarraville Eagle is the Eagle logo from the jumper, about the time when Denis Pagan was coach. I had the picture on file so I thought I would use it as a background picture.

The SW South Williamstown logo is actually a WS Western Suburbs logo from Sydney. Some people used it on this site when they were designing logos for the new team from Western Sydney back in the early 2010's. As there wasn't an logo for South Williamstown I used WS logo to represent the S and W for South Williamstown. The logo has a historical feel to it which suits a club from the 1890's.

Denis Pagan in the Yarraville Jumper. He was the captain/coach.
mgOOPMm.jpg

Added new pictures for Albert Park, Ballarat, Carlton, Caulfield, Collingwood and the 2016 VFL Premiers Footscray.

WBLXWbc.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpeg Hey all. I'm looking to replicate the Fitzroy monogram to stitch onto an existing jumper. I have traced and cut out the monogram on some material, but the edges are completely frayed. Does anyone have any tips of what material to use or where I can get this done without manually doing it? I have attached the pic. Cheers!

Frankston Football Club will not get a licence from AFL Victoria to compete next year, so they now join the former clubs of the VFA/L.

WBLXWbc.jpg

Last edited:
Video and stills of a blue Frankston jumper, don't know if it's in addition to the blue variation you have. Not sure if it's technically black collar/cuffs with a white outline like most things on the jumper or a white collar/cuffs with a black stripe through the centre, but the effect is a predominantly white collar/cuff. Also doesn't seem to be much red on the jumper within a jumper on the dolphin. Back has black numbers with a white outline and it's worn with black shorts.

upload_2016-11-20_9-4-47.png upload_2016-11-20_9-4-0.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wizard, you've done a great job on these but I think the new detail you've added (the large background logos) detracts from the overall look.

I find the logos very distracting and feel they take the focus away from where it should be... i.e. the jumpers.

Wizard, you've done a great job on these but I think the new detail you've added (the large background logos) detracts from the overall look.

I find the logos very distracting and feel they take the focus away from where it should be... i.e. the jumpers.

The main focus of the pictures are the jumpers, but the logos behind add security to my images by making them less easy to copy. I have Googled the names of former VFA Clubs trying to find some pictures of jumpers. But I find many of my images in the search results. The logos in the background make the images harder to copy, and quickly identify the images as being produced by me.

For future images I will try to use less colours in the background images, allowing for the jumpers to be the main focus of the image. Here is an example of a new image for Yarraville.

WBLXWbc.jpg

Last edited:
wizardwaffle , there are 80 images on the first page alone, even compressed at an average of 200KB per image that's still around 16MB just to load one page. Sometimes when opening the thread on my phone it would just crash.

It's not unreasonable for me to put "Note: image-heavy thread" in the thread title for the sake of others and mobile users. Please don't remove mod edits.

The main focus of the pictures are the jumpers, but the logos behind add security to my images by making them less easy to copy. I have Googled the names of former VFA Clubs trying to find some pictures of jumpers. But I find many of my images in the search results. The logos in the background make the images harder to copy, and quickly identify the images as being produced by me.

For future images I will try to use less colours in the background images, allowing for the jumpers to be the main focus of the image. Here is an example of a new image for Yarraville.

Yep, that looks much better. The muted background image really focuses attention back onto the jumpers, but is still visible and adds a nice touch to the template as a whole ;)

Melbourne City - looks pretty close to what you already have.

Sport_-_2-Aug-1912Melbourne_City_-_Phillips.jpg

Brunswick
Brunswick appear to have worn red and black in their first VFA Season (1897) and worn them until 1899.

"The Brunswick uniform in red and black stripes

so much like Port Melbournes red and blue how-

ever, that there will be great difficulty in dis-

tinguishing the players when they meet"

OPENING OF THE FOOTBALL SEASON. (1897, May 3). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), p. 6. Retrieved November 27, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9150424

Williamstown
1897 is contradictory with different sources giving different colours

Yellow and Black
SPORTING NOTES. (1897, May 15). Williamstown Chronicle (Vic. : 1856 - 1954), p. 3. Retrieved November 27, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article68586886

yellow and blue garb.
FOOTBALL NOTES. (1897, July 3). Williamstown Chronicle (Vic. : 1856 - 1954), p. 3. Retrieved November 27, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article68587052

yellow and black very nearly got the coveted one hundred points
CLOSE OF THE FOOTBALL SEASON. THE ASSOCIATION CLUBS. (1897, September 13). The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), p. 3. Retrieved November 27, 2016, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9770903

Years in Use
It is a lot of work, but it would be useful to have a years in use for each Jumper.

I understand that there is often crossover, as players still wore their old jumpers even though a design had changed.

Just uncovered this article from the VFA Recorder in 1975 - outlines all the new shorts colours worn from that season due to colour TV being introduced. It also gives us a date when the Box Hill jumper changed from the V to the tri-panel and Northcote changed from a yoke to stripes:

vfa 1975 colour changes.jpg

wizardwaffle after comparing all of the above info to your images there is just one edit required: the Box Hill tri-panel jumper with black shorts wasn't worn... everything else = spot on

2016-12-10_01h11_28.png

Just uncovered this article from the VFA Recorder in 1975 - outlines all the new shorts colours worn from that season due to colour TV being introduced. It also gives us a date when the Box Hill jumper changed from the V to the tri-panel and Northcote changed from a yoke to stripes:

View attachment 318135

wizardwaffle after comparing all of the above info to your images there is just one edit required: the Box Hill tri-panel jumper with black shorts wasn't worn... everything else = spot on

View attachment 318138

Edited Box Hill picture.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back