Resource VFA/VFL Jumpers [image heavy thread]

Remove this Banner Ad

Love your dedication to this project WW.

Love your dedication to this project WW.
This is some quality stuff.

Thank you for your kind words. I do it to perserve the memories of clubs that are no longer playing and would become a footnote in the history of the AFL. Clubs like Morrabbin which won the VFA premiership in 1963 and were forced to leave the VFA and disband by the following July because St.Kilda was moving to their home ground. Clubs like East Melbourne who after there three seasons in the VFA in 1880 - 1882 was disbanded.

Thank you for your kind words. I do it to perserve the memories of clubs that are no longer playing and would become a footnote in the history of the AFL. Clubs like Morrabbin which won the VFA premiership in 1963 and were forced to leave the VFA and disband by the following July because St.Kilda was moving to their home ground. Clubs like East Melbourne who after there three seasons in the VFA in 1880 - 1882 was disbanded.
And I appreciate it massively. When the VFA fell through in '94 it was a horrible time in Aussie Rules history. I was a bit young to notice it at the time, but I felt gutted when the VFL (as it was then) merged with the AFL reserves in 2000. Ever since then I haven't had the same interest in the comp. I've also learned quite a lot about VFA history thanks to you & this thread mate.

The VFA falling over in 1995 was coming for a long time. The then VFL played on Saturdays and the VFA played on Sundays. The competition would not be around today if it didn't merge. Probably clubs like Port Melbourne and Williamstown would be playing in local leagues now, and some would say they would be happier if they were. But playing in the VFL now allows them to play in the best competition outside the AFL. Keeping the memory of what was here before alive should be one of the things the VFL does. Clubs like Camberwell, Brunswick, Northcote, Prahran and Sunshine have all but been forgotten in today's world. I pass the Camberwell Sports Ground each time I go to the football. To think that the Camberwell Football Club played matches at the venue in the then VFA is hard to imagine. But they did, and so did it occur at various grounds across the Melbourne area. Remembering the past makes sure the mistakes of the past don't happen again. It also remembers the effort put in by those men over the years. They may not have their clubs running out to play anymore, but they shouldn't be forgotten.

I am a bit too young to remember it, but the older supporters at Port are always dreaming of a return for the VFA, a competition outside the influence of AFL Victoria. If whispers are to be believed, the AFL will soon revive a dedicated reserves comp, leaving the stand alones behind and casting doubt on the futures of clubs like Casey and Box Hill.

I am a bit too young to remember it, but the older supporters at Port are always dreaming of a return for the VFA, a competition outside the influence of AFL Victoria. If whispers are to be believed, the AFL will soon revive a dedicated reserves comp, leaving the stand alones behind and casting doubt on the futures of clubs like Casey and Box Hill.
Too young is never too young. In a few decades time you will be part of the older Port supporters. The whispers of a dedicated AFL reserves competition have been around for awhile. Eddie was talking about it on the Footy Show two years ago. But nothing has happened since on that story. However, St.Kilda and Sandringham have signed a continuation of the alignment agreement and West Coast has entered a reserves team in the WAFL. The AFL reserves competition now seems further away.

Here is a new picture for the Springvale Vales A.K.A. the Springvale Scorpions A.K.A. the Casey Scorpions A.K.A. the Casey Demons.

Worth noting that the Northern Blues will don a replica Preston guernsey this weekend for the Battle of Bell St Vs Coburg. It's almost a pity it's the Bullant design rather than the old PFC style, but beggars can't really be choosers I guess. HeritageApparel.jpg

Not sure if these are some kind of heritage jumpers? Assume they are.

Port’s looks great, better than the regular jumper! Dark colours lend themselves to fat stripes.

The problem is do I include every jumper that each of the club's users. If I did that I probably have mistakes with each club. I prefer to keep it to the main jumper used by the clubs and the away/clash jumpers. So far this year Port Melbourne has had three new jumpers, the darker blue and darker red of their new home jumper, the red with blue logo of their clash jumper and this third historical jumper. I have included the first two on the club's picture and would add the historical jumper if it is worn more tham once or twice.

The problem is do I include every jumper that each of the club's users. If I did that I probably have mistakes with each club. I prefer to keep it to the main jumper used by the clubs and the away/clash jumpers. So far this year Port Melbourne has had three new jumpers, the darker blue and darker red of their new home jumper, the red with blue logo of their clash jumper and this third historical jumper. I have included the first two on the club's picture and would add the historical jumper if it is worn more tham once or twice.

Nah, was just a random question!

Your pics look great!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if these are some kind of heritage jumpers? Assume they are.

Port’s looks great, better than the regular jumper! Dark colours lend themselves to fat stripes.

This is our annual Frank Johnson heritage game played at home every year Vs the oldest enemy. The first year there were no heritage jumpers, last year only we wore one, and this year Willi also took part.
I love what we wore so much. The Willi design was also pretty great, but ruined slightly by (barely visible) printed on laces.

This is our annual Frank Johnson heritage game played at home every year Vs the oldest enemy. The first year there were no heritage jumpers, last year only we wore one, and this year Willi also took part.
I love what we wore so much. The Willi design was also pretty great, but ruined slightly by (barely visible) printed on laces.

Looked great.

Just need to get rid of those ugly numbers on the front of jumpers!! (Realise it’s probably a league directive)

Looked great.

Just need to get rid of those ugly numbers on the front of jumpers!! (Realise it’s probably a league directive)

Yes it is a league directive, brought in during the past couple of years. They make the jumpers to culterred especially jumpers with logos on them. This is where my idea for numbered shorts would improve what is being worn. Players shorts provide a large area to place a players number. As seen by my example below with Subiaco.

I actually like the idea of having the numbers on the front, which was optional last year in the VFL and mandatory this year, and has been mandatory in the VFLW for a few years.
The execution is sloppy, but I really like it. Wonder how it would look with the number next to/under the competition logo, rather than the sponsor logo.

Have added new pictures for the clubs in the competition, the Premiership Winners and for Richmond.
5V7vuny.jpg

I7Ds5AU.jpg

rodc6o1.jpg

Have added new picture for the clubs in the competition, Coburg. It is there new Jumpers for 2020, however no VFL matches have been played this year but I did decide to add them to the picture. At least there is something new on this page.

9vb0D9y.jpg

Howdy wizardwaffle, this is great work you’ve done here.

As there’s been not much to do recently, I decided to make some VFA guernseys in my own template. (not for upload)
Is this accurate for 1975?
View attachment 870262

Cheers, Lemon Boi :lemon:
I can see what you where doing, trying to get the jumpers and shorts when television went colour and the VFA went with one colour of shorts for each team for the season. I have included the article with my pictures. The main differences are logos on the Dandenong, Frankston and Prahran jumpers, the S symbol on the Sunshine jumper, the CFC logo on Camberwell. the sash on Werribee,
6VFXOJB.jpg

The jumpers worn are the same as in this advertisement for the VFA at that time.
7QyZFGW.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back