VFL VFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell had better ruck stats than Goldy when he was playing in the seniors, won a greater proportion of the contests he rucked, had a higher hit-out-to-advantage ratio, he was actually in the top half dozen ruck men in the AFL at the time.

Goldy did improve, but last year Daw had superior stats to Goldy in the ruck as well, we just couldn't afford to leave him in the ruck long enough, was needed down back and up forward for some games when our forward all got hurt.

I think Goldy is a good ruckman, but he has lost that desire to be the best. We carried a very generous achievement based contract for a number of years in which he failed to get remotely close to that standard, I would not only not fault the club on offering a thin initial contract, but would strongly encourage them to force a performance based contract, he can have the bucks if he puts the effort in.

If he just wants to freeload and half-arse, he can do that at St Kilda.

What a lot of nonsense, as if Campbell is a pinch on Goldy. You did see him play AFL early in the season, no?
And why would Goldy leave anyway?

I know one reason he would

I am tipping a Scotts-Joyces-Goldsteins trifecta to be at the Saints in 2020...no knowledge on my behalf, just read it in my Tea Leaves

No club in their right mind would bring in a 30+ year old ruckman to take the place of the most exciting young, up and coming ruckman going around, especially when they are struggling and in rebuild mode. But then again, StKilda has never been known as a club in their right mind.

Not sure the AFLPA would like a club using a contract as blackmail for team selection, and nor should they since it would be petty and spiteful
Come on Doctor. The AFLPA is as potent as a wet lettuce leaf. We can also simply 'drop' him for Campbell.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Summary from a mate at the game, who doesn’t barrack for north...

- Daw still had his game time heavily managed, but played at least 10 minutes every quarter. Spoke to him after the game (used to play with him at Werribee) and said his body has been pulling up really well. Still a bit to go to get to full fitness. Hasn’t lost any speed or spring in his jump. Incredible. He isn’t sure if he’ll get back to AFL level this year.

- LDU, clean and obvious class above. Needs to trust his kicking more in space instead of always looking to handball first.

- Tom Murphy, only seen him in the first quarter and a bit. Not sure if injured or game time managed.

- Wilkinson gets to all the right places, his pressure is solid. Unsure if he’d make the step up to AFL level as he goes missing a bit.

- McKay horrible first quarter with positioning and not killing the contest, copped a spray and quarter time and responded. Took a few big goal saving contested marks in the 2nd half.

- Red. Didn’t know who he was.

- Watson. Limited influence, looked okay when he had possession.

- Ahern, only played first half? . Few poor defensive efforts in the first quarter. Kicking stood out when he had it in space. Managed in the 2nd half or injured?!

- Hosie. Impressive below his feet, super quick for a guy his size. Agility is incredible, even though he isn’t a big strong type has a solid core and always keeps his feet in the contest. Good goal kicking action.

- Campbell. Best player on the ground by far. Contest marking a real feature. His comment was “how is this bloke not a #1 ruck at AFL level?”

- Wright, skills a class above. One of the big reasons why we got back into the contest.

- Taylor & Xerri. Didn’t know who they were, so didn’t look out for them.

- Crocker, only noticed him after half time. Looks a good prospect, still slight but quite strong. Won a couple of one on ones. Not afraid to take on the risky kicks through the middle of the ground.

Last edited:
I actually felt bad for that Coburg lad who went back with the flight and took out his teammate and caused the North front and square.

Outstanding effort, even if he should have left it for his mate.

Campbells averaging 22 disposals, 5 marks, 4.5 tackles, 37 hitouts and almost a goal a game this season.

He's had 5 BOG's in North's bests....

If he doesn't win the Liston....

Campbells averaging 22 disposals, 5 marks, 4.5 tackles, 37 hitouts and almost a goal a game this season.

He's had 5 BOG's in North's bests....

If he doesn't win the Liston....

Only thing that probably hurts him is the fact that he has been playing in a losing team pretty much the whole season.

I'm tipping Campbell would be in a group of 5-6 players who'd be favourties. Off the top of my head

- Campbell
- Hibberd
- Woodward
- Lentini
- Templeton
- Gribble

Would all be in the top group. Probably a few others I've forgotten.

Two weeks ago he struggled against zac clarke.....!
Goldy has done very very well at north. And there many times, when his output was laughable , when you consider the $ he was making.
So maybe this is an opportunity for Goldy to give something back to the club, that has looked after him so well...
Instead of holding out for more more more.
IMO i am more than happy for him to walk and we take the compo.
I don't begrudge any player of seeking out higher payments in the twilight of their careers. They have a limited time to make hay while the sun shines. The dog's act is when clubs offer more money/longer contracts to lure players away then try to force them into retirement when they get injured. Glad Wellsy made Collingwood continue to pay. Be interesting to see what happens with Buddy/Swans going forward.

How good seeing Daw named in the bests.

and Maj did not play the last qtr so he has gone 1qtr - a half - 3qtrs maybe a full game next week & still time to eye return to the firsts not that there is any rush but wouldn't it be good.

Appoint Shaw as new coach & at the presser....."By the way Maj will play his return AFL game this week"

I actually felt bad for that Coburg lad who went back with the flight and took out his teammate and caused the North front and square.

Outstanding effort, even if he should have left it for his mate.

I don’t reckon his team mate was overly impressed. Looked at him lying on the ground and walked right passed him.

H9BkUjM.png

6Zyv9m7.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back