Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Is the club aware that the VFL isn't just some practice gig to run around and experiment weird tactics with and put in half assed efforts?

I mean, they are aware its a competition of its own with a premiership right? Or have we just forgotten all this stuff about competitiveness and winning after losing our VFL team for so long.

I’ve read comments from the club previously that the VFL is about development rather than winning. Unfortunately it appears to be a attitude that is prevailing through the club as a whole. Winning games of football is not all that important.

From memory Geelong, Hawthorn, Footscray have all won VFL flags leading into an AFL premiership. I thing Richmond made a VFL GF. Teaching young players to win I would think would be important. Helps sets standards required early.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
From memory Geelong, Hawthorn, Footscray have all won VFL flags leading into an AFL premiership. I thing Richmond made a VFL GF. Teaching young players to win I would think would be important. Helps sets standards required early.

VFL is about development that much is true, but so are games of AFL for players. It's all player development in the end, and the problem is the club treats it as a dumb training course to assess specific players and totally forget about the rest while utilizing the same game plan from the AFL for no reason other than to make seamless transitions for players moving up to the seniors.

Now in theory that would seem like it would work, but are we really gonna stand up and say that we're a club known for developing young players? We're undoubtedly one of the worst, our only strength is getting good games out of very experienced players.

And like you said, any premiership year the VFL almost always wins concurrently with the AFL team, because the focus is winning games, high standards, and treating each league as equally important to each other and planning each week for wins.

I've watched enough of our VFL games to know we aren't there to win as a priority, and it doesnt come as a surprise that the club has said so, the goal seems inherently on player focus for a role to slot in somewhere in the seniors should we need it and that's about it. Its glorified training.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve read comments from the club previously that the VFL is about development rather than winning. Unfortunately it appears to be a attitude that is prevailing through the club as a whole. Winning games of football is not all that important.

Club is in shambles

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

Kyron: 8 disposals & 14 tackles.

They're serious about making him a stopper.

Then again, the coach is serious about doing that with everyone on the list.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

Flair and life sucked out him? Job done. I wonder if it’ll get to the stage when a player sues the club for drafting him?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Kyron sets all time vertical leap record in testing

Natural conclusion: tagger

Back