VFL VFL 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The VFL team needs some drastic changes this off-season. Development squad or not there's no reason to be this inconsistent and poor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our VFL team has been pretty poor for a better part of the year, and doesn't seem to match up to our seniors enough, and any wins have been hard fought.

Some serious assessments to be made in the off-season.
There's 12 on the injury list. Many of which have missed extended chunks of the season. Probably played a role.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's 12 on the injury list. Many of which have missed extended chunks of the season. Probably played a role.

True, we'll find out more next season but if that falls down a similar path without much injury we may have wasted a year to establish the VFL team as more than just an excuse to develop players. It needs to become a legitimate team.

True, we'll find out more next season but if that falls down a similar path without much injury we may have wasted a year to establish the VFL team as more than just an excuse to develop players. It needs to become a legitimate team.
It's sole purpose is to develop players for the seniors. If they win, that is a bonus. But given the extended injury list, I don't think we can read too much into them struggling.

It's sole purpose is to develop players for the seniors. If they win, that is a bonus. But given the extended injury list, I don't think we can read too much into them struggling.

If you treat it as a legitimate team in a legitimate competition, which the VFL clearly is. Development will come along for the ride it goes hand in hand.

You can't put players on your VFL list just for the sake of filling names, the VFL players matter as much as the AFL ones do when they're out on the same field. So when the VFL performs well that translates into our seniors performing better.

Progress starts from the bottom up, it's not an excuse to run around & experiment with s**t. Look at any clubs VFL teams, they're treated as legitimate arms of the club.

I simply don't subscribe to the mantra of VFL being a development ground and that's it. It needs to be treated as more than that.

If you treat it as a legitimate team in a legitimate competition, which the VFL clearly is. Development will come along for the ride it goes hand in hand.

You can't put players on your VFL list just for the sake of filling names, the VFL players matter as much as the AFL ones do when they're out on the same field. So when the VFL performs well that translates into our seniors performing better.

Progress starts from the bottom up, it's not an excuse to run around & experiment with s**t. Look at any clubs VFL teams, they're treated as legitimate arms of the club.

I simply don't subscribe to the mantra of VFL being a development ground and that's it. It needs to be treated as more than that.
I don't dispute any of that. But take 12 out of your side, you will struggle. The VFL side has been on the bones of its arse all season. Whitecross was playing CHB for a month in Durdin and McKays absence. Winning is important and plays a role in developing the players, but it is certainly secondary to preparing the players for senior footy. If we wanted to win, we might have thrown Xerri or Campbell at CHB. Declan Watson was trialled forward for an extended period despite the 2s having no tall defenders. In the end, we persisted with players in their positions to service their development, not to be more competitive and maybe eke out a few extra wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back