VFL VFL 2023 - [Rnd11 vs * - Sunday June 4 - 1:35pm @NEC Hangar]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he isn’t ready, but it is good to see Spicer lose an opponent on his hammer like was nothing. And McGuinness’ first kick, wowser.
You see that tape, and I can imagine people reckon I'm pretty down on Spicer when I provide some VFL thoughts - I'm not, because he is quite capable of those dashy passages. The point of my commentary is that what you see here are the ONLY times Phoenix was involved in the play. And of those 5 or 6 dashy things, from memory only two involved a score involvement - for the whole game. The next step for Phoenix is to do that every HALF, then you're influencing the game. On top of that low productivity, there can be other games where he's completely anonymous, as against Melbourne. So he has to be more consistent, both within games and between games.

And yes, McGinness is showing some real signs - first, he's taking some marks, and second, that allows him to maximise good kicking. What you don't see in that footage is Xerri's final goal, where he leads up through the corridor to take a fairly uncontested mark. The player waiting for that lead was McGinnnes, and he waited and waited like he was taking a shot, until the space appeared and Xerri with it - he then hits him lace out. Good footy

You see that tape, and I can imagine people reckon I'm pretty down on Spicer when I provide some VFL thoughts - I'm not, because he is quite capable of those dashy passages. The point of my commentary is that what you see here are the ONLY times Phoenix was involved in the play. And of those 5 or 6 dashy things, from memory only two involved a score involvement - for the whole game. The next step for Phoenix is to do that every HALF, then you're influencing the game. On top of that low productivity, there can be other games where he's completely anonymous, as against Melbourne. So he has to be more consistent, both within games and between games.

And yes, McGinness is showing some real signs - first, he's taking some marks, and second, that allows him to maximise good kicking. What you don't see in that footage is Xerri's final goal, where he leads up through the corridor to take a fairly uncontested mark. The player waiting for that lead was McGinnnes, and he waited and waited like he was taking a shot, until the space appeared and Xerri with it - he then hits him lace out. Good footy
As I said in the spicer thread, I back your views on Spicer as you have been fairly measured about every other vfl player.

I assume you mean me, and each to their own, glad you enjoyed the game. I agree will walker had a good last qtr when the game opened up; but when it’s a contest he will not put his head over the ball to win a ground ball get - as for a call up, you may well be right, but personally I think the firsts have got other priorities than a winger who can’t win his own ball

That doesn't surprise me.

I managed to catch the last quarter on the way in to the AFL match. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Xerri was really impressive and despite his frame I reckon McGuiness deserves a shot considering our lack of talls, although Tommy Campbell did pretty well. Matt appears similar to Nick Cox to me, from what I've seen on TV.

I managed to catch the last quarter on the way in to the AFL match. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Xerri was really impressive and despite his frame I reckon McGuiness deserves a shot considering our lack of talls, although Tommy Campbell did pretty well. Matt appears similar to Nick Cox to me, from what I've seen on TV.
Probably not as nippy as Cox appears to be, but the comparison seems apt based on the footage. Not against him as rotating him from wing to third tall to change up the forward line within games.

Probably not as nippy as Cox appears to be, but the comparison seems apt based on the footage. Not against him as rotating him from wing to third tall to change up the forward line within games.
Yeah sorry I meant similar physique. He took some nice grabs in difficult conditions and seemed to position himself well. Give the guy a go!

I know he isn’t ready, but it is good to see Spicer lose an opponent on his hammer like it was nothing. And McGuinness’ first kick, wowser.

Surprised he doesn't break an ankle, he was pivoting off a full sprint.

His speed is really impressive, once he's ready we're gonna really need it, especially once Hall retires.

Seems to be a lot of our better players were forwards. Interestingly, our forward line is pretty dysfunctional in the AFL. Surely some changes coming up if this continues? As a minimum Xerri swaps for Campbell. Personally, I'd bring in Garner for Zurhaar and Taylor for Mahony.

A genuine VFL curtain raiser this Sunday?

Might be worth the trip to Geelong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back