VFL VFL 2023 - [Rnd11 vs * - Sunday June 4 - 1:35pm @NEC Hangar]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerri is getting interesting. I always saw him as more of a forward style ruck who relieves but those numbers imply that we'd be better off having Goldy at the bounces then push forward and develop Xerri around the ground as much as possible. Is that a long term useful role for him though?

He's a very good young tap ruckman, but I dunno how he would go in the AFL centre square against the better leapers. Around the ground, no problems, he could play AFL now.

IMO, he's a certified ruck-forward. He's both.

I suspect they are keeping him in the AFL, because if he wasn't there Eddie Ford would end up taking the centre bounces.

Dumont was invisible and I couldn't tell whether Eddie Ford was even playing. Hardly anything to report on. I regret watching it tbh

Sad to see
Froggy played less than a half as a winger and got 13 in an average team. Ford is as raw as anything. We all regretted it.

He's a very good young tap ruckman, but I dunno how he would go in the AFL centre square against the better leapers. Around the ground, no problems, he could play AFL now.

IMO, he's a certified ruck-forward. He's both.

I suspect they are keeping him in the AFL, because if he wasn't there Eddie Ford would end up taking the centre bounces.

I'm not sure I see him as a centre tap ruckman but he looks like he has that extra midfielder thing starting to build. Touch wood but it would be interesting to see what the team looked like and how they structured those roles if Goldy was rested and we played a Xerri / Campbell combo...

We're clearly short a genuine tall though somewhere on field. Putting Xerri forward only part time isn't enough with Larkey's build and type of play. We need a true KPF near him for more of the game.

Froggy played less than a half as a winger and got 13 in an average team. Ford is as raw as anything. We all regretted it.

Runs in legs for Dumont I guess. Half a game suggests to me that he won't be back next week unless we are more desperate than I would hope in a season that is already over outside of development and fitness.

I'm just glad the club was making sure the aflw team was tip top whilst the vfl team is being treated like a neglected red headed step child.

If they are going to treat the men's football program like a joke, wrap it the fu** up and shut up shop.

Tonight's game was a f*n embarrassment. Not the actual football, the actual team we trotted our there. It's like we chucked a poster up on the pisser wall at the local frothy.

I demand better from this club. I can take the senior football as it's a total rebuild but to have a vfl team that most good country league teams would wipe the floor with is unacceptable.

We simply can't drop any of our youth down for a stint as it's a total clusterfu** down there. The only thing they will learn is how to get demoralised, to the point where there will be absolutely zero development.

Sort this sh*t out Brady. If you can't be f’ed recruiting a good vfl team where our kids can compete, then I can't be f’ed contributing to the debt reduction!

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Couldn't agree more. I reckon as a starting point our AFL listed players add a few recently retired AFL players serving as onfield coaches, stronger bodies/older heads, JMac get out there. Then throw in recently delisted AFL players under 23 who perhaps have good attitudes, unlucky to be cut or squeezed out of strong teams (your Menedue's rather than onto the AFL list), interstate league players hoping to get noticed by AFL recruiters (your BBB's, Hosie's etc), finally kids who misssed out on the draft (your Callow's, Edwards, perhaps even some of the guys we've picked up as Rookies in the past), that have skill/talent/elite disposal but perhaps missed out due to physical attributes, too skinny, needs to fill out etc. Being an AFL club with a VFL team SHOULD serve as a platform to identify and groom talent who might make it onto our AFL list. Just like in F1 with Red Bull and Alpha Tauri etc. From what I saw last night Tyler Roos has a real crack, but there is a massive gap between the skill and fitness levels of our afl and vfl listed players.

The problem with "a perfect storm" is that there's a very real risk of drowning, or getting marooned on a desert island for years.

Right now, North are in Melbourne 2013-2014 territory. Probably worse in reality. It's by design and my view is that it's hideous list development management.

Thats a good point when you even look at our likely draft selections this year compared to the Suns and GWS.

Tyson's body language in the first half was one of pure resignation. Looks like he copped a rocket at half time to show some leadership tried to get things going but can't see how any number of disposals in that team translates to AFL form.
Bailey Scott, I've said before, really tough being any sort of link up/outside player in that team, ball is butchered repeatedly. Didn't show enough for an immediate recall in my view, and if he goes around again in the VFL, just tell him to go win his own ball.
Will Walker, ditto above for Bailey.
Xerri, the highlight for me swap him for campbell, strong body, positions well in the ruck and good second efforts at ground level.....gaining nothing playing vfl.
Patrick Walker, I thought his kicking looks a class above this lot, gee he may as well make his debut sooner rather than later, why not.
Trent Dumont, had his own footy early, clearly a class above, shame AFL sub rule is for medical reasons only, be great for a half and then sub a kid in when the sting's out of the game.
Eddie Ford, just throw the kid in the middle to get him in the game. Getting nothing out of playing forward with the ball barely ever in there and at random when it does.
Taylor Garner, Same as for Ford, provided some attack on the man and looked like he gave a fk. Again whats to be gained by playing him forward. Just give ALL our AFL listed players time on the ball to get them some touch.

As I see it, there's two fundamental management issues with the VFL side - the first is money; clearly in a constrained financial environment, the club has prioritised savings with the VFL list, hence the mass recruitment of VAFA/EDFL players. With the year we're having, it's hard to see us being flush with cash even next year.

The second management challenge is the Tasmanian development stream - this appears to be a gesture on behalf of the AFL that something is being done to promote the Tasmanian game, but it leaves Leigh Adams with the devil of a job to give games to a group of 'fly in, fly out' players while trying to build a coherent team

We are the Washington Generals of the VFL. There is a reason for us to be there but it is not winning.

Tyson's body language in the first half was one of pure resignation. Looks like he copped a rocket at half time to show some leadership tried to get things going but can't see how any number of disposals in that team translates to AFL form.
Bailey Scott, I've said before, really tough being any sort of link up/outside player in that team, ball is butchered repeatedly. Didn't show enough for an immediate recall in my view, and if he goes around again in the VFL, just tell him to go win his own ball.
Will Walker, ditto above for Bailey.
Xerri, the highlight for me swap him for campbell, strong body, positions well in the ruck and good second efforts at ground level.....gaining nothing playing vfl.
Patrick Walker, I thought his kicking looks a class above this lot, gee he may as well make his debut sooner rather than later, why not.
Trent Dumont, had his own footy early, clearly a class above, shame AFL sub rule is for medical reasons only, be great for a half and then sub a kid in when the sting's out of the game.
Eddie Ford, just throw the kid in the middle to get him in the game. Getting nothing out of playing forward with the ball barely ever in there and at random when it does.
Taylor Garner, Same as for Ford, provided some attack on the man and looked like he gave a fk. Again whats to be gained by playing him forward. Just give ALL our AFL listed players time on the ball to get them some touch.

I don't get Tyson. He does everything right at VFL previously and then not only does he struggle at AFL level for us - he is almost invisible. Can't just be talent / body, feels like the psychological stuff has just overtaken his ability. He should be more than capable of playing a journeyman role as a senior in an AFL team...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get Tyson. He does everything right at VFL previously and then not only does he struggle at AFL level for us - he is almost invisible. Can't just be talent / body, feels like the psychological stuff has just overtaken his ability. He should be more than capable of playing a journeyman role as a senior in an AFL team...
He wasn't being played predominantly in the middle in the seniors. There's 80% of the reason right there.

He wasn't being played predominantly in the middle in the seniors. There's 80% of the reason right there.

Has had some chances in there though from what I've seen, not whole games to be sure. Couldn't get near it and wasn't winning contests. I want to believe he can come in provide some senior support but I just can't see him getting over this hump now. Hall cops a barrage at times but has offered multitudes more in game assistance to his team in games.

Honestly don't know why we don't have JMac running around in the twos.

he should have been captain.

I agree. Though I would like to see the VFL side win games, I'm not too fussed about how they are going at the present.

But one thing that I would have liked to have seen is 3 to 5 of the boys delisted from last year, have been offered spots on the VFL list. JMac for sure, some of EVW, Marley, Ahern, Majak. Those boys would be invaluable in providing leadership and direction to the young recruits and those players who missed the draft or got cut elsewhere and aspiring to get another chance through hopefully impressing at that level.

JMac might have reached the end of the road at AFL level, but he would be a cut or two above VFL level, together with his leadership skills.

I agree. Though I would like to see the VFL side win games, I'm not too fussed about how they are going at the present.

But one thing that I would have liked to have seen is 3 to 5 of the boys delisted from last year, have been offered spots on the VFL list. JMac for sure, some of EVW, Marley, Ahern, Majak. Those boys would be invaluable in providing leadership and direction to the young recruits and those players who missed the draft or got cut elsewhere and aspiring to get another chance through hopefully impressing at that level.

JMac might have reached the end of the road at AFL level, but he would be a cut or two above VFL level, together with his leadership skills.
If you were delisted, would you hang around?

The answer for why our VFL team looks so bad is pretty obvious.

Jed Anderson
Charlie Comben
Aidan Corr
Aaron Hall
Kyron Hayden
Luke McDonald
Flynn Perez
Jared Polec
Phoenix Spicer
Robbie Tarrant
Cam Zurhaar

That's half a team. Some of these guys might slot into the ones leading to guys like Campbell, Menadue and Atley playing VFL. The guys who don't play ones in order to get match fitness at VFL level would be very good VFL-level players to say the least.

70-80% of the VFL team is made up of guys who we wouldn't get a game if we didn't have the amount of injuries we do.

Slight overreaction on here...
How many AFL listed spots do we have? 4? And a rookie? These need to be filled come midseason draft.

Aflw team.
Which brings in money too. Going on a limb to say the AFLW probably makes more than it coughs up. They bring in sponsorship deals and in todays day, as much as snake is struggling to come to terms with, its easier to negotiate deals with new sponsors because we have that team. Hate on em for all you like, its not a burning hole in the pocket. The entire team is paid about as much as 2 listed AFL players running around in that s**t last night

JMac and Hrovat still both work at the club. Surely they both still like footy so give em VFL spots?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jmac is still playing footy too.. was probably never asked to play for the VFL team.. I know why, its because he was s**t. I dont want our young kids running around learning off Jamie. I’d rather them learn off the opposition to be honest

Which brings in money too. Going on a limb to say the AFLW probably makes more than it coughs up. They bring in sponsorship deals and in todays day, as much as snake is struggling to come to terms with, its easier to negotiate deals with new sponsors because we have that team. Hate on em for all you like, its not a burning hole in the pocket. The entire team is paid about as much as 2 listed AFL players running around in that sh*t last night
You are preaching to the converted as a personal aflw player sponsor. I was just relaying Snake’s argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back