VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure of that. I still hope Port Melbourne play more important role than that. for such an important historical club for this city. they should try to keep themselves in the player pathway to the AFL. Whether that is becoming a Nab League club only, time will only tell. Super important time for their club re-purposing what they do as a club this century. Be a shame if they just blended in as a suburban league only.
Here’s any idea maybe put Port Melbourne,Coberg,Sandringham,
Preston,Williamstown,Frankston with some better clubs from NFL,EDFL,WRFL,EFL ,MPFL or even the VAFA into a new competition like a old style VFA Competition for Sunday’s only games start with 1 Division and over time have 2 Divisions like the old VFA
I now a lot of people may say get off the grass mate but think about it take Sandringham if you put them into a local league like the SFNL they would kill every club each week and after a while would get boring but Put them into a competition with the current VFL clubs and some elite clubs from local leagues could produce very good standard of football.
I know the set up cost would need to be looked at with Sponsors TV- Maybe Chanel 31 with Daryl Pittman and his boys to do a live game each week and maybe a Monday wrap show with Highlights from other games?
Tell us who from other competitions would you like to see in a Sunday old style VFA competition if it ever got going.

Preston,Williamstown,Frankston with some better clubs from NFL,EDFL,WRFL,EFL ,MPFL or even the VAFA into a new competition like a old style VFA Competition for Sunday’s only games start with 1 Division and over time have 2 Divisions like the old VFA
I now a lot of people may say get off the grass mate but think about it take Sandringham if you put them into a local league like the SFNL they would kill every club each week and after a while would get boring but Put them into a competition with the current VFL clubs and some elite clubs from local leagues could produce very good standard of football.
I know the set up cost would need to be looked at with Sponsors TV- Maybe Chanel 31 with Daryl Pittman and his boys to do a live game each week and maybe a Monday wrap show with Highlights from other games?
Tell us who from other competitions would you like to see in a Sunday old style VFA competition if it ever got going.
It is a nice sentiment mate but reality is that Sunday context is not relevant anymore.
The reason Sunday worked in the decades of 60's to early 80's was because the premier league was over by Saturday evening, apart from the games at SCG every second weekend from about 1982 to mid 80's. That is long gone. Now the premier league plays from Friday through to Sunday evening. The generation of supporters from 60's to mid 80's for VFA footy that got right into their Sunday VFA footy is essentially gone. It is over 30 years later on from that period. That is a long time since VFA footy was a real thing here.

It is a new century. New weekend habits for different generations. It is a shame VFA footy got killed off but it is the reality.
I do not know what is going to happen to great historical VFA clubs like Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Sandringham that still remain in name but what I do know is their old comp is gone and it is not coming back and the circumstances that made it a great niche Sunday league has also gone.
I just think they need to re-purpose what they do as a club and continue on with their great names as clubs for a different century and different generations of community. What form that is, in what league I do not think we will know until we find out fully what happens to the elite level footy with lists and how that effects second tier and third tier youth pathways. I think and hope they stay front and centre to the elite pathway in some way and keep the club name in broader football community mind.

That league could happen you suggested but will be totally out of mind and out of sight to broader football community. It would just become another suburban league real quick.

My thoughts on what the old VFA clubs should do is dependent on what the AFL do.
If there is no Eastern AFL reserve comp due to AFL list sizes cut too short to have one, then that keeps Port Melbourne very much available to continue to play a role in second tier footy. If the Eastern AFL reserve comp happens I really hope an under 21 Nab style Youth League is below it. It would be third tier but still it would be a great aim to be best club to develop kids from 17 to 21 on pathway to AFL. I could see a good role their as important clubs for Port, Willy and Sandy there going forward.
If it only stays under 19 then it really puts the VFA clubs in a tough situation as it would be total junior teenage teams only. Hope it does not go that way.

Last edited:
Channel 31 is on its last legs

Yarraville, Moorabin, Prahran, Oakleigh, Geelong West, Brunswick, Camberwell ........ I could keep going naming old VFA sides that have for various reason moved to other competitions. Unfortunately, its time for the current stand-alone clubs to join other competitions.

Maybe the answer for Victoria is Champion of Champions competition run from late October to December where the Premiers from the VAFA, EFL, EDFL, SFL, WRFL, NFL, MPNFL, Yarra Ranges. etc play in a condensed 8-week competition ie 4 weeks of H&A games then 4 weeks knockout to a GF. The above could also be a rep structure for under 23's but would then not pull the crowd of a Vermont v Aberfeldie

This could showcase the best young talent in front of AFL scouts after the AFL season.

In short the VFA, VFL has been dead for a long time COVID just closed the deal.

Yarraville, Moorabin, Prahran, Oakleigh, Geelong West, Brunswick, Camberwell ........ I could keep going naming old VFA sides that have for various reason moved to other competitions. Unfortunately, its time for the current stand-alone clubs to join other competitions.

Maybe the answer for Victoria is Champion of Champions competition run from late October to December where the Premiers from the VAFA, EFL, EDFL, SFL, WRFL, NFL, MPNFL, Yarra Ranges. etc play in a condensed 8-week competition ie 4 weeks of H&A games then 4 weeks knockout to a GF. The above could also be a rep structure for under 23's but would then not pull the crowd of a Vermont v Aberfeldie

This could showcase the best young talent in front of AFL scouts after the AFL season.

Access to grounds would be a problem

Source you apparently heard this ?
I am unconvinced.
Not sure why old VFA clubs like Port Melbourne, Williamstown etc. would want to be playing in a league where they are flying to Queensland, News South Wales and ACT, that would be a step down to third tier, less standard (so not a strong league) and costs more than it does for them already. Makes no sense to me.
Unless read an actual source with specific details it sounds make up rumour.
Not buying it.

The AFL have been preparing this for a couple of years. The competition rules for NEAFL and VFL have been aligned (salary caps, listed player rules for AFL teams this etc). This is not coincidence.

I don’t have an official source as nothing officially released but being involved at NEAFL and reading tea leaves.

And don’t buy the “NEAFL is crap standard” chat nobody is saying it’s to the level of VFL but I’ve watched plenty of both and Southport with their 15 Ex AFL players would be plenty competitive against any VFL team and beat the lower ones. Some work with a couple other sides required.

If a AFL Reserves Comp (excluding SA and WA) as has been mentioned plenty the standalone VFL teams either have to join a league like this or find a local solution that is for sure.

with the virus smashing finances now who knows what happens.

Last edited:
I don’t have an official source a

... reading tea leaves.

Ok, cool, thanks for explaining what your post was based on.
At end of day we still right now in limbo of any of us really knowing.
We can talk alternatives but until list sizes for future are clear, second tier level will stay in limbo in terms of exact plans.

Not sure if I like what Chris Pelchen was talking about of Active lists of 35 and Inactive lists of 10 each AFL club.
Would really eat into the long tradition of club culture in Australian Rules football.
I really hope the cuts are at salary cap level and not player numbers.
Same with excess coaching numbers at elite level.
Cut finances in both those spots is my best hope going forward. Players numbers I hope are sustained. Clubs with lists under 45 is not good for football imo.

If this concept does come into fruition, could we see something similar to what we see with the Western Bulldogs Reserves (Footscray)

Brisbane Lions reserves team to be called Fitzroy

Sydney reserves team to be called South Melbourne

The AFL have been preparing this for a couple of years. The competition rules for NEAFL and VFL have been aligned (salary caps, listed player rules for AFL teams this etc). This is not coincidence.

I don’t have an official source as nothing officially released but being involved at NEAFL and reading tea leaves.

And don’t buy the “NEAFL is crap standard” chat nobody is saying it’s to the level of VFL but I’ve watched plenty of both and Southport with their 15 Ex AFL players would be plenty competitive against any VFL team and beat the lower ones. Some work with a couple other sides required.

If a AFL Reserves Comp (excluding SA and WA) as has been mentioned plenty the standalone VFL teams either have to join a league like this or find a local solution that is for sure.

Agree. Maybe Neafl back in 2014 when there was 4 sides in Canberra alone. But I’d have my money on Southport knocking off frankston and Coburg. Definitely doesn’t get the credit it deserves in terms of growth over the past 3-4 years

The VFA is dead for sure as circumstances of competition are long gone for it to return.

Quite a number of those clubs you mentioned that were part of VFA and moved into other competitions is not accurate to my understanding.
Geelong West no longer exist. They merged to become something else. Prahran do not even exist but I think another club that uses their colours etc plays in suburban football. Similarly there is some club with Preston colours and even Bullants in some suburban league but they are not the original Preston Football Club that just got killed off this season. Preston Football Club merged with Carlton Reserves to become Northern Blues and now gone under.
I suspect Brunswick of VFA and Camberwell are also gone but I am sure there are teams with their names in suburban football but those actual clubs I query are the same exact club that was before. The only thing left of VFA heritage seems to be Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Sandringham for most part. Even Coburg that were a huge club when I was a kid seem to have no VFA feel anymore after many changes to many arrangements. They seem to exist in name only but feels like they skeleton of club that was before. Even some clubs that still exist in some form like Box Hill and Springvale seem to have lost their VFA supporter base. The Mustangs and Scorpion virtually dead as a football community like the Bullants.
Let's save Port Melbourne, Williiamstown and Sandringham from same fate.
I do not know what they join but hopefully their identity, name and colours remain as they are.

Agree. Maybe Neafl back in 2014 when there was 4 sides in Canberra alone. But I’d have my money on Southport knocking off frankston and Coburg. Definitely doesn’t get the credit it deserves in terms of growth over the past 3-4 years
Neither Frankston or Coburg have been at VFL standard for years. They're not really a benchmark. It's clubs like Port, Werribee and Willy that you need to be able to compete with, and I don't think any of the NEAFL clubs could do this.

Neither Frankston or Coburg have been at VFL standard for years. They're not really a benchmark. It's clubs like Port, Werribee and Willy that you need to be able to compete with, and I don't think any of the NEAFL clubs could do this.
Compete, sure. Beat, well unlikely I agree however if Both aspley and Redland go back to AflQ you can be sure their best players will go across to the side playing the the eafl which would make them really strong and in my opinion a very good side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Compete, sure. Beat, well unlikely I agree however if Both aspley and Redland go back to AflQ you can be sure their best players will go across to the side playing the the eafl which would make them really strong and in my opinion a very good side.
The Swans, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast reserves will probably recruit the best players from these states to play for them, otherwise they might not be able to compete with the Melbourne clubs' reserves sides themselves given the lower percentage of AFL listed players making up each team

The Swans, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast reserves will probably recruit the best players from these states to play for them, otherwise they might not be able to compete with the Melbourne clubs' reserves sides themselves given the lower percentage of AFL listed players making up each team
Unlikely. Doubt any of the southport players would go to the suns. Potentially the swans would take a few Sydney uni players. Then there’s Canberra who would take plenty from the Riverina who would want to be apart of this comp whereas they didn’t think the Neafl would be worth it.

Unlikely. Doubt any of the southport players would go to the suns. Potentially the swans would take a few Sydney uni players. Then there’s Canberra who would take plenty from the Riverina who would want to be apart of this comp whereas they didn’t think the Neafl would be worth it.
Riverina, O&M, Murray bushrangers

Can't wait for 2021 already, have a strong feeling/understanding that VFL standalone clubs are going to come out of this whole thing much stronger than they are now.

This also assumes the northern clubs would be interested - I guarantee you they would not be. There’s no way Eastlake, Sydney Uni etc would have any inclination to keep spending huge amounts of money just to give AFL clubs the opportunity to continually overlook their players.
Exactly. I can't see the VFL stand alones being interested either, given the costs associated with travel and the fact that the players all work regular jobs. People do seem to forget most of the State League clubs are struggling to cover their operating costs and remain competitive as it is. Any sweeping changes like this will lead to the clubs having to either resign from the competition or disband.

Can't wait for 2021 already, have a strong feeling/understanding that VFL standalone clubs are going to come out of this whole thing much stronger than they are now.
For me there’s just no care factor for the stand alone vfl clubs

If they dropped back to the EDFL I’d have no issue with it and the VFL just Be the 10 vic afl teams

For me there’s just no care factor for the stand alone vfl clubs

If they dropped back to the EDFL I’d have no issue with it and the VFL just Be the 10 vic afl teams
And that is eactly the trouble with the VFA as it has become. The AFL pushes the line that as soon as 1897 hit, the VFA virtually ceased to exist other than to provide Richmond in 1908 and Footscray, Hawthorn and North in 1925. Other than that, they refused to acknowledge the rich and vital history of the competition.

It has lead to the apathy from generations of footy fans, giving the AFL the opportunity to take the competition over and slowly dismantle it, forcing clubs with long, successful histories and passionate supporters into mothballs.

Because nobody cares.

Coburg would make finals of the NEAFL reasonably comfortably. Sydney Uni and Southport might challenge them but yes, Port, Willy and Werribee would wipe the floor with them.

The "Eastern Seaboard" would only work for the AFL clubs. And as for NT joining it would be doubtful, more likely they make a deal with Gold Coast that a couple of the GC "home" reserves games get played in Alice or Darwin.

Th big benefit of the northern AFL clubds doing this would be that NEAFL clubs could go back to the QAFL andNSWFL. Yes, a couple of the stronger players would go back to the four AFL reserves sides but they'd save plenty on travel.

Ok, cool, thanks for explaining what your post was based on.
At end of day we still right now in limbo of any of us really knowing.
We can talk alternatives but until list sizes for future are clear, second tier level will stay in limbo in terms of exact plans.

Not sure if I like what Chris Pelchen was talking about of Active lists of 35 and Inactive lists of 10 each AFL club.
Would really eat into the long tradition of club culture in Australian Rules football.
I really hope the cuts are at salary cap level and not player numbers.
Same with excess coaching numbers at elite level.
Cut finances in both those spots is my best hope going forward. Players numbers I hope are sustained. Clubs with lists under 45 is not good for football imo.

have a read of this. Suggests next year could look a bit like I mentioned but alignments in play

The VFA is dead for sure as circumstances of competition are long gone for it to return.

Quite a number of those clubs you mentioned that were part of VFA and moved into other competitions is not accurate to my understanding.
Geelong West no longer exist. They merged to become something else. Prahran do not even exist but I think another club that uses their colours etc plays in suburban football. Similarly there is some club with Preston colours and even Bullants in some suburban league but they are not the original Preston Football Club that just got killed off this season. Preston Football Club merged with Carlton Reserves to become Northern Blues and now gone under.
I suspect Brunswick of VFA and Camberwell are also gone but I am sure there are teams with their names in suburban football but those actual clubs I query are the same exact club that was before. The only thing left of VFA heritage seems to be Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Sandringham for most part. Even Coburg that were a huge club when I was a kid seem to have no VFA feel anymore after many changes to many arrangements. They seem to exist in name only but feels like they skeleton of club that was before. Even some clubs that still exist in some form like Box Hill and Springvale seem to have lost their VFA supporter base. The Mustangs and Scorpion virtually dead as a football community like the Bullants.
Let's save Port Melbourne, Williiamstown and Sandringham from same fate.
I do not know what they join but hopefully their identity, name and colours remain as they are.

Geelong West and Prahran still exist.

Geelong West merged with St.Peters to become the Geelong West-St.Peters Roosters playing in red and white. Recently they changed their mascot and colours to the Giants.

Prahran moved to the VAFA.

Mordiallic Bloodhounds moved to SFNL

There could be others...

In the AFL:

Fitzroy merged or overtook University Reds

University re-joined the VAFA as University Blacks

QAFL is strong enough for Brisbane and GC to be part of an eight team comp.
Swans and GWS to either join the VFL is a six team SFL with Canberra, Syd Uni and two other clubs.
They really aren't strong enough for AFL clubs to be a part of. However if the AFL clubs do move into an "Eastern Reserves" competition the NEAFL should split back into the QAFL and SFL

Aspley, Redland, Southport, Broadbeach, Morningside, Labrador, Mount Gravatt and Maroochydore (If they're still kicking around)

Canberra, Sydney Uni, Ainslie, Queanbeyan, Sydney Hills, North Shore

That would be much better for the non-AFL clubs IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back