Thursday

GWS vs Footscray - Fox Footy
Saturday
Carlton vs Brisbane - Kayo
North Melbourne vs Frankston - RPPFM
Collingwood vs Essendon - 7plus and Casey Radio
Box Hill vs Northern Bullants - Radio 3WBC
Port Melbourne vs Sandringham - Kayo

(All games not on Fox Footy, Kayo, 7/7plus are live streamed)

Had Port Adelaide not sucessfully applied for an AFL licence in '96, Southport would have entered the national competition. The AFL Commission said as much at the time.

Could be on the cards one day and I could see it working in a similar way to Port Adelaide's merger of the Power and Magpies in 2010. Assume Southport's highly successful football history (22 Premierships across the GCAFL, QAFL and NEAFL), incorporate their slick chevron jumper design, takeover management of significant company assets/revenue producers like their onsite Mantra hotel/restaurants/function centre etc, distribute the increased finances accordingly to ensure football success (the Sharks have a very good history of doing this) and take advantage of their existing ties to former players and wealthy Gold Coast businesses/general corporate excellence.

Importantly, try to incorporate Southport's 60-year history (especially the successful years) as much as you possibly can ala the Swans with South Melbourne and the Lions with Fitzroy to inject more soul into the club. This means proudly displaying QAFL premiership flags/trophies around the club, wall graphics of former premiership teams/players that have gone before you, updated internal club records, incorporation of legendary former players and their jumper numbers on lockers etc. Port Adelaide often acknowledge their long history of producing high level juniors before entering the AFL like Gavin Wanganeen (1990), Nathan Buckley (1992) and Andrew McLeod (1994). A merger between the Suns and Sharks would result in a similar situation where the Gold Coast Footy Club could lay claim to former juniors like Marcus Ashcroft (1988), Nick Riewoldt (2000), Daniel Merrett (2002), Kurt Tippett (2006) and Dayne Beams (2008), despite all those players competing for a different club at the AFL level.

The Gold Coast Suns Football Club Est. 2011 becomes the Gold Coast Sharks Football Club Est. 1961 under this hypothetical merger and the reserves/academy teams play and train at the club's traditional home in Southport while the senior men's and women's teams play and train at the better facilities in Carrara. I could see it working and some would argue it should happen considering two separate GC teams in the VFL would really be better off as a combined Gold Coast super team. It would obviously secure the club's future as well given we wouldn't be so reliant on the AFL for funds and could actually stand on our own two feet financially. Makes a lot of sense.

Not the worst idea.

It does make sense but i cant see it happening. Port Adelaide (from memory) always had the connection to the SANFL club and the only reason it was a seperate entity was for licensing and the whole magpies thing.
Does anyone ever talk about the fact that North Melbourne merged with West Melbourne in 1907? What about when North merged with Essendon Association in 1922 or how about their almost merger with Coburg in 1965?

The point I'm trying to make is no one will really question it once a certain amount of time passes. It's not high profile enough to be viewed as 'fake' in the same way some view the Bears and Fitzroy merger. Plus, I don't think anyone views the Port Magpies' SANFL premierships in 1998 & 1999 as separate from the current Port Adelaide Football Club's achievements, despite the fact that they were technically two separate entities that trained and played at different grounds at the time. The SANFL did everything they possibly could to separate the two clubs but it's obvious in 2021 that everyone views them as a unified entity.

I understand that the Port Adelaide situation was different but the fact of the matter is PAFC and PAMFC were two separate clubs for 14 years between 1997-2010 and the two clubs merged at the end of 2010 which resulted in the assumption of records that were achieved as separate clubs. A merged venture between the Suns and Southport known as the 'Gold Coast Sharks' could easily be accepted and viewed the same way a decade after their merger. The merged club would just assume all of Southport's history pre-2011 and probably lay claim to Southport's 2018 NEAFL flag as well, despite having competed against one another that season.

I'm pretty sure Southport would jump at the opportunity to be a part of the AFL competition under a merged venture. They've been trying to get into the AFL since the Bears left the Gold Coast in the early 90s and have their handprints all over the establishment of the Gold Coast Footy Club. They've always had board representation at the Suns and the family ties between the two clubs are growing with guys like Rory/Brett Thompson and Brayden/Troy Crossley.

Does anyone ever talk about the fact that North Melbourne merged with West Melbourne in 1907? What about when North merged with Essendon Association in 1922 or how about their almost merger with Coburg in 1965?

The point I'm trying to make is no one will really question it once a certain amount of time passes. It's not high profile enough to be viewed as 'fake' in the same way some view the Bears and Fitzroy merger. Plus, I don't think anyone views the Port Magpies' SANFL premierships in 1998 & 1999 as separate from the current Port Adelaide Football Club's achievements, despite the fact that they were technically two separate entities that trained and played at different grounds at the time. The SANFL did everything they possibly could to separate the two clubs but it's obvious in 2021 that everyone views them as a unified entity.

I understand that the Port Adelaide situation was different but the fact of the matter is PAFC and PAMFC were two separate clubs for 14 years between 1997-2010 and the two clubs merged at the end of 2010 which resulted in the assumption of records that were achieved as separate clubs. A merged venture between the Suns and Southport known as the 'Gold Coast Sharks' could easily be accepted and viewed the same way a decade after their merger. The merged club would just assume all of Southport's history pre-2011 and probably lay claim to Southport's 2018 NEAFL flag as well, despite having competed against one another that season.

I'm pretty sure Southport would jump at the opportunity to be a part of the AFL competition under a merged venture. They've been trying to get into the AFL since the Bears left the Gold Coast in the early 90s and have their handprints all over the establishment of the Gold Coast Footy Club. They've always had board representation at the Suns and the family ties between the two clubs are growing with guys like Rory/Brett Thompson and Brayden/Troy Crossley.
A merger from 110 years ago and two failed mergers from nearly 100 years ago don’t really support your argument.

Again I’m not saying it shouldn’t happen, just that I doubt it will.

A merger from 110 years ago and two failed mergers from nearly 100 years ago don’t really support your argument.

Again I’m not saying it shouldn’t happen, just that I doubt it will.
If recency is your criteria then look at the Port Adelaide merger in 2010. I doubt most kids growing up now will even find out that the Power and Magpies were once separate clubs for 14 years.

I also don't think the initial fear of alienating non-Southport footy people on the Gold Coast is that big of an issue anymore. It's been over a decade since the Sharks played in the QAFL and the Queensland state league is dominated by multiple Gold Coast teams these days. Southport don't really steal juniors from other local GC clubs anymore either which is a big reason they were hated at the local level (see Nick Riewoldt's switch from Broadbeach to Southport in 1999).

I doubt it will happen as well but I can see a lot of benefits for both clubs if they did elect to do it.

If recency is your criteria then look at the Port Adelaide merger in 2010. I doubt most kids growing up now will even find out that the Power and Magpies were once separate clubs for 14 years.

I also don't think the initial fear of alienating non-Southport footy people on the Gold Coast is that big of an issue anymore. It's been over a decade since the Sharks played in the QAFL and the Queensland state league is dominated by multiple Gold Coast teams these days. Southport don't really steal juniors from other local GC clubs anymore either which is a big reason they were hated at the local level (see Nick Riewoldt's switch from Broadbeach to Southport in 1999).

I doubt it will happen as well but I can see a lot of benefits for both clubs if they did elect to do it.
Yeh we already discussed the port one which was under very different circumstances.

You do realize we’re in complete agreement yeh?

Yeh we already discussed the port one which was under very different circumstances.

You do realize we’re in complete agreement yeh?
Yes I'm aware. I was just giving more context to the situation by addressing the initial concern the AFL had about granting league entry to the Sharks and potentially alienating local Gold Coast footy fans who were anti-Southport.

Any idea on when round 3 and 4 fixture times will be released. They have released the fixture but not the days and times of games.
No idea but I have known Frankston’s round 3 and 4 games and times for at least a week now. Not sure the hold up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any idea on when round 3 and 4 fixture times will be released. They have released the fixture but not the days and times of games.
Fixture seems to just be being drip fed which is annoying, but i do know the Round 4 Thursday game which will be on FoxFooty.
Geelong vs Northern Bullants, Thurs May 6 at Marvel Stadium. Bit strange that it’s not at Kardinia Park as a Cats home game and it should have all the facilities required for the Fox broadcast.

Well there you go, Rd 3 & 4 have been revealed

Round Three

Thursday April 29
North Melbourne vs. Casey Demons 7.10pm Marvel Stadium Fox Footy

Friday April 30
Collingwood vs. Gold Coast Suns 4.00pm Holden Centre

Saturday May 1
Northern Bullants vs. Footscray 1.05pm Preston City Oval Kayo Freebies
Werribee vs. Richmond 2.05pm Avalon Airport Oval 7Plus
Sydney Swans vs. Geelong 2.35pm Tramway Oval (Lakeside Oval) Kayo Freebies
Frankston vs. Aspley 7.00pm SkyBus Stadium
Williamstown vs. Port Melbourne 7.10pm Downer Oval

Sunday May 2
Brisbane Lions vs. Coburg 12.00pm South Pine Sporting Complex
GWS Giants vs. Southport 12.05pm Blacktown International Sports Park Kayo Freebies
Essendon vs. Carlton 12.05pm Windy Hill Seven and 7Plus
Sandringham v Box Hill 2.30pm Trevor Barker Oval

Round Four

Thursday May 6
Geelong vs. Northern Bullants 7.10pm Marvel Stadium Fox Footy

Saturday May 8
Collingwood vs. Coburg 12.05pm Victoria Park 7Plus
Williamstown vs. Frankston 1.35pm Downer Oval Kayo Freebies
Southport vs. North Melbourne 2.00pm Fankhauser Reserve
Box Hill Hawks vs. Werribee 2.35pm Box Hill City Oval Kayo Freebies

Sunday May 9
Footscray v Carlton 12.05pm VU Whitten Oval Seven and 7Plus
Casey Demons vs. Sydney Swans 11.05am Casey Fields Kayo Freebies

Byes: Aspley, Brisbane Lions, Essendon, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Port Melbourne, Richmond, Sandringham

Any names?
I'm not sure on who but I know a couple of clubs have a few in mind. Collingwood very likely to have a couple due to having at least 5 changes in the seniors, plus a held over emergency

Vic bias in play here.... Aspley and Gold Coast will miss out on games being broadcast without any in R1-4. No non Victorian team on Seven or 7plus too..

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Seven[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]7plus[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Fox Footy[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Kayo Sports[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Sydney[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]3[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]GWS Giants[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Brisbane[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Essendon[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Box Hill[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Casey[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Geelong[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]North Melbourne[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Footscray[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Carlton[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Collingwood[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Port Melbourne[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Sandringham[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Northern Bullants[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Werribee[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Richmond[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Southport Sharks[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Coburg[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Williamstown[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Frankston[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

Interesting that 7 are doing games only shown on 7plus, I wonder if they will be TV-style full production value efforts or more slimmed down like the Kayo streams
Good coverage of demons hawks last Sunday....nothing watered downthere

Interesting that 7 are doing games only shown on 7plus, I wonder if they will be TV-style full production value efforts or more slimmed down like the Kayo streams

I'm guessing a TV-style production. I doubt Channel 7 will want to be associated with Kayo-level production quality.

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Vic bias in play here.... Aspley and Gold Coast will miss out on games being broadcast without any in R1-4. No non Victorian team on Seven or 7plus too..

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Seven[/TD][TD valign="top"]7plus[/TD][TD valign="top"]Fox Footy[/TD][TD valign="top"]Kayo Sports[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Sydney[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]3[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]GWS Giants[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]2[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Brisbane[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Essendon[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Box Hill[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Casey[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Geelong[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"]2[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]North Melbourne[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Footscray[/TD][TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Carlton[/TD][TD valign="top"]2[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Collingwood[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]2[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Port Melbourne[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Sandringham[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Northern Bullants[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Werribee[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Richmond[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Southport Sharks[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Coburg[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Williamstown[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]Frankston[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1[/TD]
Now you know how vfl stand alone clubs feel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back