VFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Message sent to Frankston members this morning

Attachments

• 5C66EC70-7584-4A3D-A6F0-34CD2F7C2A5B.jpeg
    5C66EC70-7584-4A3D-A6F0-34CD2F7C2A5B.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 128
Other than Frankston they’ve all been in alignments before, so it’s not that they’re that protective.

But for it to work it should be done with a proper league-wide agreement between all parties protecting VFL club names, jumpers and home grounds. And the appointment of a coach etc.

The VFL clubs have something to offer the AFL clubs for the first time in perhaps forever, somewhere for their reserves to play in a truly cost-effective manner. In return the VFL clubs get their identities.

It’d be a way to guarantee a relevant longer term future for the VFL clubs, it can work both ways.

It’s also not as simple as VFL clubs “just leaving for suburban leagues”. They’d have to be voted into those leagues by their existing clubs. Like asking turkeys to vote for Xmas, that’s not a forgone conclusion.

Well, we are protective now because we entered into alignments in good faith and were treated appallingly but our supposed partners. I can virtually guarantee none of the stand alone clubs will entertain an alignment.

Your solution is nonsensical, as Port, Williamstown, Coburg, etc already HAVE our own identities. The AFL clubs have nothing to offer us that actually benefits us.

It may not be a foregone conclusion that suburban leagues will welcome us into their ranks, our womens club has a South Eastern Womens League licence and we've been treated quite well by them. AFL Victoria can't force us to stay in the VFL, if we decline to apply for a licence and choose to apply elsewhere, they can't do a thing about it.

Separate club to ‘Northern’ though. Will require a mountain of work off season.
No, they are actually the same club. They started as the Northern Blues, but rebranded to the original identity that Northern/Preston Bullants had prior to 1996.
I don't deny that it is going to be a lot of work, but there is a Preston Bullants still running around out there.

Part of the appeal of going to a home game at Port Melbourne is the AFL-standard players in the opposition. If they dropped down and became one of a few hundred suburban clubs they'd lose attendees for good. May as well watch your closest suburban team instead. Whether that'd actually kill them or merely make them less relevant, I don't know.
As a long term member of Port Melbourne, that is not correct. We go to games to cheer on the Borough, and would continue to do so in the VAFA, SFNL, or wherever we ended up.

Mordialoc play in the Southern league, Geelong West play in the Geelong footy league, Northcote in the Northern league. Might be a few more but off the top of my head the 3 I mentioned definitely do
Berwick are in the South East FL, Kilsyth in the Eastern FL, Mordi in the Southern FL and Traralgon in the Gippsland FL are the only clubs that exist with a direct lineage to their VFA days, other clubs are unrelated clubs with the same name, like Caulfield and Yarraville, or have merged several times, like Prahran-Assumption, Geelong West Giants and Waverley Blues.

The pipe dream of resurrecting the VFA will only happen with AFL Victorias backing, and that will be a day that Satan will ice skate to work.

Well, we are protective now because we entered into alignments in good faith and were treated appallingly but our supposed partners. I can virtually guarantee none of the stand alone clubs will entertain an alignment.

Your solution is nonsensical, as Port, Williamstown, Coburg, etc already HAVE our own identities. The AFL clubs have nothing to offer us that actually benefits us.

It may not be a foregone conclusion that suburban leagues will welcome us into their ranks, our womens club has a South Eastern Womens League licence and we've been treated quite well by them. AFL Victoria can't force us to stay in the VFL, if we decline to apply for a licence and choose to apply elsewhere, they can't do a thing about it.

It’s not nonsensical, as it would secure the VFL and it’s clubs in the longer term - as an important part of the football environment in Melbourne, at the premier level below the AFL, rather than the uncertainty that has existed for the last 20 years now.

Berwick are in the South East FL, Kilsyth in the Eastern FL, Mordi in the Southern FL and Traralgon in the Gippsland FL are the only clubs that exist with a direct lineage to their VFA days, other clubs are unrelated clubs with the same name, like Caulfield and Yarraville, or have merged several times, like Prahran-Assumption, Geelong West Giants and Waverley Blues.

The pipe dream of resurrecting the VFA will only happen with AFL Victorias backing, and that will be a day that Satan will ice skate to work.

Victorian football deserves a premier statewide league with clubs that have genuine ties to their community they are based in, not a bastardised AFL development league with no community links at all for most clubs.

I could see a fresh version of the VFA with The current stand alone clubs joining clubs reflecting the new population corridors being a huge success.
Step one is getting independent control of Victorian football back from the AFL.

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS

NEAFL Clubs Stand Alone

Aspley Hornets (Brisbane)- No statements or announcements
Canberra Demons (Canberra)- No statements or announcements
Redland Bombers (Brisbane)- No decision as yet https://redlandafc.com/club-statement-25-08-2020/
Southport Sharks (Gold Coast)- No official announcements however twitter is suggesting that the club will look to enter the VFL in 2021
Sydney Uni (Sydney)- No statements or announcements

NEAFL AFL Clubs
Brisbane Lions- No statements or announcements
Gold Coast Suns- No statements or announcements
GWS Giants- No statements or announcements
Sydney Swans- No statements or announcements

VFL Clubs with alignments
Box Hill Hawks (Hawthorn)- No statements or announcements
Casey Demons (Melbourne)- No statements or announcements
Sandringham Zebras (St Kilda)- No statements or announcements
Northern Blues (Carlton) Carlton likely to go standalone. Northern Bullants a chance to return as a stand alone team as well. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...n/news-story/d162622b5ec6e0e8bc65e7ca854d3520

VFL Clubs Stand Alone
Coburg Lions- No decision as yet https://coburgfc.com.au/club-statement-from-the-general-manager-august-25/
Frankston Dolphins- No decision as yet https://frankstonfc.com.au/
Port Melbourne Borough- Will provide an update in the coming days https://www.portmelbournefc.com.au/...talent-pathway-programs-second-tier-football/

Werribee Tigers- No statements of announcements
Williamstown Seagulls- Well placed to continue as a stand alone club in 2021 https://www.williamstownfc.com.au/10-latest-news/1894-statement-second-tier-football-revised

VFL AFL Clubs
Collingwood Magpies- No statements or announcements
Essendon Bombers- No statements or announcements
Geelong Cats- No statements or announcements
North Melbourne Kangaroos: Reserves side abandoned. Will look for other options for 2021 https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...d-after-just-two-seasons-20200730-p55h09.html
Richmond Tigers- No statements or announcements
Footscray Bulldogs (Western Bulldogs)- No statements or announcements

hornets made a statement and will wait for more information

thunder folded last year

This is my thoughts based on hearing rumours and reading articles of how the new competition will look for for 2021.

Victorian AFL sides
1. Carlton reserves
2. Collingwood reserves
3. Essendon reserves
4. Footscray reserves
5. Geelong reserves
6. Hawthorn reserves
7. Melbourne reserves
8. North Melbourne reserves
9. Richmond reserves
10. St Kilda reserves

Victorian Non-AFL Sides
11. Williamstown
12. Port Melbourne

New South Wales AFL Sides
13. Greater Western Sydney reserves
14. Sydney reserves

ACT Non-AFL Side
15. Canberra

Queensland AFL Sides
16. Brisbane reserves
17. Gold Coast reserves

Queensland Non-AFL Side
18. Southport

Tasmania
19. Tasmanian Devils

Possible
NT Thunder (unlikely but did apply to join VFL 2 years ago)
Weribee (harsh I know but got told they wouldn't be part of it)
Sydney Uni (Heard AFL want a non-AFL side in Sydney)

That would make an 18 round competition where everyone plays each other once. This will depend if the non-AFL sides want to be part of the new competition due to cost. I think it will also depend on the AFL list sizes. I heard there could be 2 options with Canberra. They have their own side or Giants will have a squad in Canberra of 20 players to maintain a pathway for southern NSW.
Thunder folded last year

So I’ve heard that the AFL are keen to keep the likes of Southport Canberra Syd Uni etc playing in a strong league so aspiring players that miss getting drafted (especially if AFL list sizes are reduced) have a strong comp to play in.

QAFL and Syd prem do not provide.
Therefore I see basically a merger of the VFL and NEAFL which is then split into conferences.

Basically an AFL reserves conference and an “other” conference. The other conference would have standalone VFL teams , Tassie and a few NEAFL clubs, probably 4 of the 5 current.
There would be a number of “cross conference” games where for example port Melbourne would play Richmond reserves.
They would sort out the draw to minimise travel as much as possible to save cost. They could do it so each VFL stand-alone team maybe has 3 travels per season. Ie they play each NEAFL side once only (4games - 2 travels) each other twice (10 games inc. Tassie- 1 travel) and then 4 crossover games against AFL reserves teams for an 18 round season.

So I posted this back at the beginning of May and most thought I was way off the mark. “No chance Southport play Port Melbourne” was the commentary.

Remains to be seen how it plays out but fair to say I wasn’t as far off as people suggested.

So I posted this back at the beginning of May and most thought I was way off the mark. “No chance Southport play Port Melbourne” was the commentary.

Remains to be seen how it plays out but fair to say I wasn’t as far off as people suggested.
I wonder when we'll have further clarity by.

I loved the VFA, but it was a product of its era and died at just the right time (1995). I say that because it never became corrupted into some horrible modern entity. Now I can remember it as the quirky, brawling, high-scoring competition that it was. I also loved the VFL in the '70s and '80s, and VFA Sunday football complemented the League game nicely. My VFA club folded in 1994 which was disappointing at the time. But in retrospect I much preferred that to what happened to some of the other former VFA clubs that lived on under the stewardship of League clubs. I'm talking about Box Hill and Preston in particular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

key quote from Sydney Uni
Our commitment to providing the opportunity to play in the highest level of competition to our players will remain as we continue to work through and pursue options for 2021.”

key quote from Sydney Uni

Yes looks like SYdney Uni want in.

When you consider AFL list sizes being cut it is important for somewhere for these players to play and try and be redrafted and truckloads has been spent on academies, again important that there’s somewhere for those that miss out on being drafted can play and continue to chase the dream.

Syd Prem and QAFL not strong enough for that

When you consider AFL list sizes being cut it is important for somewhere for these players to play and try and be redrafted and truckloads has been spent on academies, again important that there’s somewhere for those that miss out on being drafted can play and continue to chase the dream.

Once the AFL releases the list numbers for AFL clubs next year, we will get far more clarity on who wants into the VFL concept.

I do suspect though the list sizes will gradually go down to avoid the sudden drop. What will be interesting is my club Gold Coast. We had 50 players in 2020 due to the increased player limit assistance from the AFL. We'll probably drop to the 'normal' AFL list size but will be interesting to see what happens.

My theory though why they have listed 2021 as a transitional year is because no 1. we dont know the COVID scenario especially being an interstate league and no 2. they realistically would be better prepared for 2022 then 2021 meant to start in seven months time so transitional season glosses over that.

Priorities for the AFL obviously right at the moment are with the Finals and finishing off the season but this is probably the list (I know im missing things though)
1. Deciding the Grand Final host
2. Managing the QLD hubs to ensure teams abide by
3. Finalising appointments for AFL staff in 2021
4. Advising AFL clubs key information for 2021 including sizes
5. Working out Draft info
6. Fixtures for 2021
7. More info regarding the VFL for 2021

Once the AFL releases the list numbers for AFL clubs next year, we will get far more clarity on who wants into the VFL concept.

I do suspect though the list sizes will gradually go down to avoid the sudden drop. What will be interesting is my club Gold Coast. We had 50 players in 2020 due to the increased player limit assistance from the AFL. We'll probably drop to the 'normal' AFL list size but will be interesting to see what happens.

My theory though why they have listed 2021 as a transitional year is because no 1. we dont know the COVID scenario especially being an interstate league and no 2. they realistically would be better prepared for 2022 then 2021 meant to start in seven months time so transitional season glosses over that.

Priorities for the AFL obviously right at the moment are with the Finals and finishing off the season but this is probably the list (I know im missing things though)
1. Deciding the Grand Final host
2. Managing the QLD hubs to ensure teams abide by
3. Finalising appointments for AFL staff in 2021
4. Advising AFL clubs key information for 2021 including sizes
5. Working out Draft info
6. Fixtures for 2021
7. More info regarding the VFL for 2021
I very much doubt that it'll be a gradual decrease. It's purely a cost cutting measure. I'd expect an immediate cut and then a gradual increase.

I very much doubt that it'll be a gradual decrease. It's purely a cost cutting measure. I'd expect an immediate cut and then a gradual increase.
Two reasons that won’t hapoen.
1. Clubs already have most players on contract for 2021, so hard to cut at short notice.
2. 2021 will be another COVID affected season, with the possibility of short breaks again and possibly no VFL. Current list sizes may be needed.

No doubt are we interested in the concept but there are some massive hurdles to jump - Sydney Uni Sport and Fitness encourage all of their clubs to compete in the highest competition possible but our funding model is a lot different to other clubs (no pokies like Southport, Canberra etc). If the AFL are keen to have a third side in Sydney for players to continue to develop and have a chance to get drafted, and are willing to help fund it then I’m sure we will look at how we can be part of it. We would also need a fair bit of talent coming in, there’s no point in spending time and energy to play in the competition only to get beaten by 200 points by Collingwood. We’ve already been there and done that in the early days of the NEAFL. To be honest we have done a lot of heavy lifting in Sydney the past ten years and it’s cost us a lot of time and money for not much return, so we wouldn’t just be putting our hand up for this for the sake of it.

The other option, albeit less likely, could be to go in with the Swans. Would certainly make our lives easier, maybe save them a bit of coin as well.

Two reasons that won’t hapoen.
1. Clubs already have most players on contract for 2021, so hard to cut at short notice.
2. 2021 will be another COVID affected season, with the possibility of short breaks again and possibly no VFL. Current list sizes may be needed.
1. All clubs have between 20 and 35 contracted players according to footywire, so they can cut it back to, say, 38 without difficulty.
2. It's a cost cutting measure. Hence a "gradual decrease" makes less sense. How many teams have used 40 players this year?

Mordialoc play in the Southern league, Geelong West play in the Geelong footy league, Northcote in the Northern league. Might be a few more but off the top of my head the 3 I mentioned definitely do

Northcote Park and Northcote VFA are not the some club and never have been. Only similarity is that Northcote Park now play and train at the old Northcote association oval.

Also if I’m not mistaken Geelong West merged with St. Peter’s in Geelong?

Source you apparently heard this ?
I am unconvinced.
Not sure why old VFA clubs like Port Melbourne, Williamstown etc. would want to be playing in a league where they are flying to Queensland, News South Wales and ACT, that would be a step down to third tier, less standard (so not a strong league) and costs more than it does for them already. Makes no sense to me.
Unless read an actual source with specific details it sounds make up rumour.
Not buying it.
i read the AFL

berwick has just moved to Eastern Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back