VFL 2021

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

It looks like this is where we are heading in 2021. The northern AFL reserves teams will combine with the Victorian reserves teams (plus Tasmania) to create a new 15-team reserves league:

Victoria
1. Carlton reserves
2. Collingwood reserves
3. Essendon reserves
4. Footscray reserves
5. Geelong reserves
6. Hawthorn reserves
7. Melbourne reserves
8. North Melbourne reserves
9. Richmond reserves
10. St Kilda reserves

New South Wales
11. Greater Western Sydney reserves
12. Sydney reserves

Queensland
13. Brisbane reserves
14. Gold Coast reserves

Tasmania
15. Tasmanian Devils

Northern Territory (optional)
16. Northern Territory Thunder

From a fixturing perspective, it should closely resemble the AFL fixture to allow for more convenient travelling situations and could potentially use byes in place of the extra two fixtures per week. If the AFL would like to maintain an even number of teams then they should let the Northern Territory Thunder become the 16th team in this league. That is inline with the current NAB League structure and would make sense from a pathway perspective. Before anyone asks, a national reserves competition is considered unfeasible due to travel costs associated for the WA clubs as per the West Coast Eagles boss recently. The South Australian teams don't seem keen on the idea of joining either so you're essentially looking at teams on the eastern side of Australia for this competition. Interesting fact - Gold Coast and Sydney have previously competed in the VFL in the past and this would be a re-entry for those two clubs, as opposed to a new league entry for GWS and Brisbane.

Thoughts on this new model suggested by the AFL? I personally love the idea because my club is really suffering from competing in the low standard NEAFL and I know we'd benefit greatly from our reserves team competing against the high standard Victorian reserves teams on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

GrumpyOldMan_NC

Monday's Expert
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

It looks like this is where we are heading in 2021. The northern AFL reserves teams will combine with the Victorian reserves teams (plus Tasmania) to create a new 15-team reserves league:

Victoria
1. Carlton reserves
2. Collingwood reserves
3. Essendon reserves
4. Footscray reserves
5. Geelong reserves
6. Hawthorn reserves
7. Melbourne reserves
9. Richmond reserves
10. St Kilda reserves

New South Wales
12. Sydney reserves

Queensland
13. Brisbane reserves
14. Gold Coast reserves

Tasmania
15. Tasmanian Devils

From a fixturing perspective, it should closely resemble the AFL fixture to allow for more convenient travelling situations and could potentially use byes in place of the extra two fixtures per week. If the AFL would like to maintain an even number of teams then they should let the Northern Territory Thunder become the 16th team in this league. That is inline with the current NAB League structure and would make sense from a pathway perspective. Before anyone asks, a national reserves competition is considered unfeasible due to travel costs associated for the WA clubs as per the West Coast Eagles boss recently. The South Australian teams don't seem keen on the idea of joining either so you're essentially looking at teams on the eastern side of Australia for this competition. Interesting fact - Gold Coast and Sydney have previously competed in the VFL in the past and this would be a re-entry for those two clubs, as opposed to a new league entry for GWS and Brisbane.

Thoughts on this new model suggested by the AFL? I personally love the idea because my club is really suffering from competing in the low standard NEAFL and I know we'd benefit greatly from our reserves team competing against the high standard Victorian reserves teams on a weekly basis.

Here's all the calls of appreciation from the stand alone clubs of the VFL

raw.gif

:) :)

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that you haven't been added to too many Christmas card lists as you dance on the demise of the stand alone clubs. Maybe there should be a new subforum for the AFL reserves competition rather than poking the grumpy bears in this cage. One important thing that hadn't been mentioned in those articles is where the money and players are coming from for the clubs that were aligned with old VFA clubs. Seeing the AFL was talking reduced playing lists and older draft ages, I don't see how this will all come together. Would they play on the same grounds as the seniors? TV rights?

Cheers...... Oh look here come the likes for your post from the stand alones...

200.gif

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Eastern AFL would be good but like the upset poster above that offers no solutions, I also wonder what Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Sandringham, Werribbee and Frankston do going forward that used to play in the VFA. Until we know exact AFL list sizes for future it is hard to know if actual reserves sides for AFL clubs will happen. If lists stay big, this is very possible to do.

GrumpyOldMan_NC

Monday's Expert
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Eastern AFL would be good but like the upset poster above that offers no solutions, I also wonder what Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Sandringham, Werribbee and Frankston do going forward that used to play in the VFA. Until we know exact AFL list sizes for future it is hard to know if actual reserves sides for AFL clubs will happen. If lists stay big, this is very possible to do.

Hello footyfan78,

I can see I've got work on my digital emotional signalling through BF posts. 😁😁 I wasn't upset, I was trying to defuse what I could see happening. I've been a burger boy for many many years and unfortunately the AFL boys hold the whip hand with regard to money, tv rights, etc. Any plans we can come up with to save VFA clubs will have to wait on what they decide, as you state in your post.

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers

Victoria
1. Carlton reserves
2. Collingwood reserves
3. Essendon reserves
4. Footscray reserves
5. Geelong reserves
6. Hawthorn reserves
7. Melbourne reserves
9. Richmond reserves
10. St Kilda reserves

New South Wales
12. Sydney reserves

Queensland
13. Brisbane reserves
14. Gold Coast reserves

Tasmania
15. Tasmanian Devils

Don’t forget the 5 stand alone VFL teams Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Werribee, Coburg and Frankston

There will be no NT Thunder for the future will more likely align with Gold Coast Suns

Possible 20 team comp (like it was in 2000)

chislet5

Senior List
Apr 29, 2012
ivanhoe
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
england cricket team

Victoria
1. Carlton reserves
2. Collingwood reserves
3. Essendon reserves
4. Footscray reserves
5. Geelong reserves
6. Hawthorn reserves
7. Melbourne reserves
9. Richmond reserves
10. St Kilda reserves

New South Wales
12. Sydney reserves

Queensland
13. Brisbane reserves
14. Gold Coast reserves

Tasmania
15. Tasmanian Devils

mate your team got spanked in the Neafl most weeks except for against Redland and NT Thunder..:.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
How many of the current standalone VFL teams could afford the travel commitments of sharing a league with 5 interstate teams?

I'm not sure it's worth Frankston and Coburg joining such a league, given how far off the current standard they are. Port, Willy and Werribee however seem to be able to hold their own against AFL reserves sides, but I'm not sure even they could afford so much interstate travel.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
How many of the current standalone VFL teams could afford the travel commitments of sharing a league with 5 interstate teams?

I'm not sure it's worth Frankston and Coburg joining such a league, given how far off the current standard they are. Port, Willy and Werribee however seem to be able to hold their own against AFL reserves sides, but I'm not sure even they could afford so much interstate travel.
I know some of the NEAFL teams are struggling to keep up with the costs associated with travelling between Brisbane, Gold Coast, Darwin, Canberra and Sydney.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah I don't think the invitation would be there for any of them to be part of the league. Maybe Canberra, but even then I doubt.
They won't. They'll just rejoin their respective local state/territory leagues. Only AFL reserves teams would be considered for this concept and Tasmania. Slight possibility of the NT as well but unlikely.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
They won't. They'll just rejoin their respective local state/territory leagues. Only AFL reserves teams would be considered for this concept and Tasmania. Slight possibility of the NT as well but unlikely.
And that's a fine idea, but the question remains of what to do with Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Sandringham, Coburg and Frankston. Plus, Box Hill and Casey, who will have to somehow demerge with Hawthorn and Melbourne.

My suggestions would be to reinstate the VFA under the auspices of AFL Victoria, which will potentially involve inviting a number of community clubs to join to make it viable (a 5/7 team league will never work), or pay them a substantial sum for their licences so they can afford to shift to a community league or the VAFA. There is a responsibility from the AFL to ensure it is treating these clubs with respect, if they just dump them in the scrap heap they may very well be looking at a class action lawsuit from the players, staff, employees and members of the clubs.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And that's a fine idea, but the question remains of what to do with Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Sandringham, Coburg and Frankston. Plus, Box Hill and Casey, who will have to somehow demerge with Hawthorn and Melbourne.

My suggestions would be to reinstate the VFA under the auspices of AFL Victoria, which will potentially involve inviting a number of community clubs to join to make it viable (a 5/7 team league will never work), or pay them a substantial sum for their licences so they can afford to shift to a community league or the VAFA. There is a responsibility from the AFL to ensure it is treating these clubs with respect, if they just dump them in the scrap heap they may very well be looking at a class action lawsuit from the players, staff, employees and members of the clubs.
Seems reasonable. The AFL haven't made a secret of the fact that their preference is to establish a national reserves league but it's just not feasible for the WA clubs (not yet at least) so they've decided to focus on the east coast for the time being. This probably shouldn't be viewed as teams like Casey, Frankston etc being removed from the VFL, but rather AFL reserves teams being removed from the VFL to join a new east coast league which will clearly need a new name like 'Eastern AFL'. The local Victorian teams could even retain the VFL league branding/IP given it is inherently a state league which should involve teams inside Victoria. So you would just have a few teams from the local EFL, EDFL, SFL, WFL, VAFA etc jump up to join the VFL.

I'm sure the 'Eastern AFL' reserves league model would be the ideal outcome for Tasmania as well. They would prefer to be travelling the east coast and playing against AFL reserves teams every week with current AFL listed players instead of Victorian AFL reserves teams some weeks and local Victorian teams other weeks.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
mate your team got spanked in the Neafl most weeks except for against Redland and NT Thunder..:.
We didn't get the luck like Brisbane of being able to play most of the seniors in the NEAFL side. We have had a few years now of heavy injury lists meaning we are playing kids (and yep young kids from the academy) with our senior players mostly young themselves.

chislet5

Senior List
Apr 29, 2012
ivanhoe
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
england cricket team
We didn't get the luck like Brisbane of being able to play most of the seniors in the NEAFL side. We have had a few years now of heavy injury lists meaning we are playing kids (and yep young kids from the academy) with our senior players mostly young themselves.
That and also you blokes have 10 listed players who can’t get a kick in the Neafl and shouldn’t be on a list in the first place. Also there’s not a chance NT will feature in this comp. They were horrid this year and struggled to even got blokes to get on the plane.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I’ve heard that the AFL are keen to keep the likes of Southport Canberra Syd Uni etc playing in a strong league so aspiring players that miss getting drafted (especially if AFL list sizes are reduced) have a strong comp to play in.

QAFL and Syd prem do not provide.
Therefore I see basically a merger of the VFL and NEAFL which is then split into conferences.

Basically an AFL reserves conference and an “other” conference. The other conference would have standalone VFL teams , Tassie and a few NEAFL clubs, probably 4 of the 5 current.
There would be a number of “cross conference” games where for example port Melbourne would play Richmond reserves.
They would sort out the draw to minimise travel as much as possible to save cost. They could do it so each VFL stand-alone team maybe has 3 travels per season. Ie they play each NEAFL side once only (4games - 2 travels) each other twice (10 games inc. Tassie- 1 travel) and then 4 crossover games against AFL reserves teams for an 18 round season.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So I’ve heard that the AFL are keen to keep the likes of Southport Canberra Syd Uni etc playing in a strong league so aspiring players that miss getting drafted (especially if AFL list sizes are reduced) have a strong comp to play in.

Therefore I see basically a merger of the VFL and NEAFL which is then split into conferences.

Basically an AFL reserves conference and an “other” conference. The other conference would have standalone VFL teams , Tassie and a few NEAFL clubs, probably 4 of the 5 current.
There would be a number of “cross conference” games where for example port Melbourne would play Richmond reserves.
They would sort out the draw to minimise travel as much as possible to save cost. They could do it so each VFL stand-alone team maybe has 2 travels per season. Ie they play each NEAFL side once only (4games) each other twice (8 games) and then 6 crossover games against AFL reserves teams for an 18 round season.

and forget nt thunder they are done

chislet5

Senior List
Apr 29, 2012
ivanhoe
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
england cricket team

They would sort out the draw to minimise travel as much as possible to save cost. They could do it so each VFL stand-alone team maybe has 3 travels per season. Ie they play each NEAFL side once only (4games - 2 travels) each other twice (10 games inc. Tassie- 1 travel) and then 4 crossover games against AFL reserves teams for an 18 round season.
That would be the ideal scenario! That way they could never really denigrate the difference of league standards

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

That sounds like a good idea.

Keeping teams like Southport, Sydney Uni, and the VFL teams are the best outcomes for footy.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Source you apparently heard this ?
I am unconvinced.
Not sure why old VFA clubs like Port Melbourne, Williamstown etc. would want to be playing in a league where they are flying to Queensland, News South Wales and ACT, that would be a step down to third tier, less standard (so not a strong league) and costs more than it does for them already. Makes no sense to me.
Unless read an actual source with specific details it sounds make up rumour.
Not buying it.

Saint Mick

Senior List
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not sure how that’s the case when the AFL paid for all travel and accommodation for the NEAFL?

I know some of the NEAFL teams are struggling to keep up with the costs associated with travelling between Brisbane, Gold Coast, Darwin, Canberra and Sydney.

Saint Mick

Senior List
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
This also assumes the northern clubs would be interested - I guarantee you they would not be. There’s no way Eastlake, Sydney Uni etc would have any inclination to keep spending huge amounts of money just to give AFL clubs the opportunity to continually overlook their players.

Source you apparently heard this ?
I am unconvinced.
Not sure why old VFA clubs like Port Melbourne, Williamstown etc. would want to be playing in a league where they are flying to Queensland, News South Wales and ACT, that would be a step down to third tier, less standard (so not a strong league) and costs more than it does for them already. Makes no sense to me.
Unless read an actual source with specific details it sounds make up rumour.
Not buying it.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
This also assumes the northern clubs would be interested - I guarantee you they would not be. There’s no way Eastlake, Sydney Uni etc would have any inclination to keep spending huge amounts of money just to give AFL clubs the opportunity to continually overlook their players.
Exactly. Makes no sense at all.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Makes sense
Keep the second tier comp only teams directly linked to the afl

And standalone vfl sides Port melb etc go to the local leagues like the EDFL
Not sure of that. I still hope Port Melbourne play more important role than that. for such an important historical club for this city. they should try to keep themselves in the player pathway to the AFL. Whether that is becoming a Nab League club only, time will only tell. Super important time for their club re-purposing what they do as a club this century. Be a shame if they just blended in as a suburban league only.

Back