VFL 2021

My two cents worth.
No aligned AFL Clubs, added Casey Zebras as i unaligned both and merged them.
Geelong United is G&DFL, GFL, C&DFL and BFL it is basically their reps side.
Ballarat is BFL, CHFL, RDFL, H&DFL and MFL, same as GU
Goulburn Valley is made up from GVFL, K&DFL and P&DFL, same as GU
AW or Murray Border is made up from OMFL, OKFL, T&DFL and UMFL

View attachment 1217439
You’ve got a better chance of shooting Gil McLachlan to the moon with a cannon than getting this one off the ground.

Which country leagues are going to buy into this? Who is going to fund it? What’s the incentive for bush players to travel to a melbourne every second weekend?
How the hell do you turn Fitzroy from a B grade amateur side into a state level unit?

You’ve got a better chance of shooting Gil McLachlan to the moon with a cannon than getting this one off the ground.

Which country leagues are going to buy into this? Who is going to fund it? What’s the incentive for bush players to travel to a melbourne every second weekend?
How the hell do you turn Fitzroy from a B grade amateur side into a state level unit?

So much angst.

It’s purely a gtfo of dodge or the VFL.
I’m sure there would be plenty of people and rich benefactors that would love to see opposition to the always changing sporadic AFL Vic.

Also it doesn’t have to have Country teams in it and I’m sure there’s heaps of support for Fitzroy if they ever did step up.

So much angst.

I’m sure there would be plenty of people and rich benefactors that would love to see opposition to the always changing sporadic AFL Vic.

Also it doesn’t have to have Country teams in it and I’m sure there’s heaps of support for Fitzroy if they ever did step up.
Looks like it’s exceptionally well planned and I look forward to the execution. 🙄

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
With the Bulldogs coming to QLD this week would the AFL take the opportunity to play a GF v Southport this weekend?

tough on the other finalists but the Covid situation in Vic means finals footy down there is highly unlikely
Surely they can. Southport deserve to be part of the finals given their stellar season.

With the Bulldogs coming to QLD this week would the AFL take the opportunity to play a GF v Southport this weekend?

tough on the other finalists but the Covid situation in Vic means finals footy down there is highly unlikely
VFL listed players aren’t allowed out of the state. Bulldogs can’t field a team of more than 17 or 18 with their AFL list

they could top up with players up here.

to me it’s either do that or just cancel the season
Interesting.

The idea of playing a grand final with “top up players from another state” who have no involvement with the Bulldogs is….one of the more astonishing suggestions I’ve heard in the past couple of years.

Where do you suggest they get these “top up players” from?

Interesting.

The idea of playing a grand final with “top up players from another state” who have no involvement with the Bulldogs is….one of the more astonishing suggestions I’ve heard in the past couple of years.

They have a 43 player list, 39 fit. So half a dozen players needed. I'd assume the players who played for Essendon earlier in the year would be available as well

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Interesting.

Given the lack of top-level opportunity they've had to impress ahead of the draft, give the best Queensland academy kids a run.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting.

Travelling teams regularly used local top up players this season. Hardly anything new.

for example a couple months back nab league players were used to top up Suns GWS Swans VFL sides when they played in Vic and QLd top ups used fir Essendon. Plenty of handy young players potential draftees would jump at the opportunity

Travelling teams regularly used local top up players this season. Hardly anything new.

for example a couple months back nab league players were used to top up Suns GWS Swans VFL sides when they played in Vic and QLd top ups used fir Essendon. Plenty of handy young players potential draftees would jump at the opportunity
So if the Bulldogs played (which I seriously doubt they would) and won the match against Southport using those top up players then the top ups become VFL premiership players! 🤣🤣🤣

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So if the Bulldogs played (which I seriously doubt they would) and won the match against Southport using those top up players then the top ups become VFL premiership players! 🤣🤣🤣

in a word yes.

unfortunately the bulldogs were unable to get permission to bring their whole list I’m hearing.

apparently vfl likely done for the year but a glimmer of hope if bulldogs AFL win this week that next week a VFL GF could be played in a neutral state where both clubs can travel to ( and yes this is unlikely but if it happens local top ups would be used)

southport coach signed a contract with extension announced today till end 2024that signals their intent to remain in the comp I teckon

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
So much angst.

Fitzroy would have no interest in this idea, nor would any other clubs not currently in the VFL. And 100% no country leagues would be interested in something that would destroy country leagues. It would be a hard pass from all parties you mention.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Very disappointed. No reward for effort

They need to seriously think about starting earlier next year not in late April. This virus tends to get bigger over winter so the sooner the comp can get underway the better to get ahead of COVID..

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
Very disappointed. No reward for effort

They need to seriously think about starting earlier next year not in late April. This virus tends to get bigger over winter so the sooner the comp can get underway the better to get ahead of COVID..
They couldn’t start until late April because a deal had been done to extend the cricket season between AFL Victoria and Cricket Victoria due to last year’s Covid outbreak.

they are already planning for 2022 comp to hopefully start late March with 23 rounds 21 teams (1 bye plus a general bye)

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
They couldn’t start until late April because a deal had been done to extend the cricket season between AFL Victoria and Cricket Victoria due to last year’s Covid outbreak.

they are already planning for 2022 comp to hopefully start late March with 23 rounds 21 teams (1 bye plus a general bye)
They can start earlier- just play at grounds that don’t have cricket or use Marvel for Vic games?

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cut out those silly multiple byes that plagued the season, sometimes up to 8 teams in a week. I'm surprised the AFL clubs with reserve teams and aligned clubs copped such a stop- start schedule to begin with. Get games played.

100%.

hindsight is a great thing but if they started a week or 2 earlier ( not all grounds used for cricket and teams could’ve travelled north etc ) and got rid of the dumb byes they could’ve played 14 games each. Wouldn’t have got finals as it turned out anyway but I’m sure it’ll be different in 2022.

Back