VFL VFL 2023 - [Rnd11 vs * - Sunday June 4 - 1:35pm @NEC Hangar]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

2022 Pre-Season Update - North Melbourne​

North Melbourne is yet another VFL side that has been quiet on reserves signing news with only a handful of players departing the club. This could be promising for the developing club as it is important to keep a core group together to further grow in the upcoming season but they will need something special to improve on their 15th finish in an incomplete season where they won just four games, all of which coming in the last five games of the season.

Competition Updates​

The Victorian Football League will return for the 2022 season on March the 26th and will continue to align closely with the Australian Football League Men's season for a 22 round season with each team taking 4 byes each. The Aspley Hornets are the only team to confirm their exit from the eastern coast competition with the remaining 21 clubs beginning to strengthen their sides for another run.

The salary cap has been increased by $20,000 for standalone teams to $220,000 while AFL and AFL-aligned clubs have received just a $10,000 boost to $110,000. The caps also introduce the ability to pay $10,000 of a playing coach's salary outside the cap while indigenous coaches implement a $5,000 concession.

The list size rules also remain pretty much identical to the 2021 rules with AFL affiliate clubs having a maximum of 30 players (15 development players, 15 primary listed players) while stand-alone clubs can have a total of 40 players on their lists (28 primary listed players, 12 development players).

Re-Signed Players​

After winning North Melbourne's 2021 Best and Fairest, Harry Jones is expected to re-sign with the reserves side after signing with Ovens and Murray club, Wodonga as his home club.

Jones was a key part of the Kangaroo's late-season form with the former AFL-listed Hawk collecting over 30 disposals in four of the five last games of the season but he was consistent all season with an average of 29 disposals over his nine matches.

Ben Speight is set to stay at Arden Street and provide experience to a young group in a new development role seeing him play with and mentor the up-and-coming North Melbourne youngsters.

Speight was delisted from the Kangaroo's senior side after the 2012 season and instead opted to play VFL level where he played for the, then North Melbourne Affiliated, Werribee Tigers. He continues to play for a North Melbourne-related side and did so over five matches in 2021. At least a goal per game from Speight led to being his sides leading goalkicker with 10 goals to his name. A four-goal haul in round 10 helped his side get just their second win of the season.

Outgoing Players​

Josh Clayton has been confirmed as an exit from North Melbourne's reserves program and will be playing in the Ovens and Murray border league on a full-time basis, ending an experienced run at the state level while Ryley Monkhorst has put pen to paper at Mooroolbark for 2022.

Monkhorst could not manage a game at the reserves level while Josh Clayton lined up in six games over the 2021 season. One of those included a game where he went down injured and managed just four disposals but was otherwise strong as he averaged an honourable 28 disposals in the remaining five matches. A 29 disposal, 3 goals, and 11 tackle game in round 6 pushed his side over the line for their very first win of the season.

Jacob Heron has departed after just one season at the Kangaroos as he signs for Southport in the hope to have a more successful season in new colours but has chosen to remain in the same league, unlike Harrison Gunther, who moves across to South Australia to play for North Adelaide.

Heron signed with the Kangaroos with the hope to revive his AFL career after being delisted from Gold Coast at the end of the 2020 season but that did not come to fruition and he instead played a full season of VFL football where he averaged 18 disposals over 10 games.

North Melbourne’s AFL list did its yearly cutting over the off-season, as Tom Campbell, Trent Dumont, Taylor Garner, Charlie Ham, Connor Menadue, Dom Tyson, and Will Walker were told that they were no longer required at the senior level.

Charlie Ham was on Geelong's VFL list before being picked up by North Melbourne in the mid-season draft where he went on to play four matches at reserves level. Ham will continue his VFL career at the Werribee Tigers as he looks to bounce back into the AFL competition.

Tom Campbell joined St Kilda as a delisted free agent and may be seen in Sandringham colours in 2022 while Trent Dumont will move west after being rookie listed by Port Adelaide. Connor Menadue has returned to local level competition while Will Walker will head to Frankston.

Dom Tyson has confirmed that he will stay with North Melbourne becoming a full-time VFL listed player as he steps into a playing-assistant coach role.

Summary​

North Melbourne can hold 30 VFL listed players on their list with the expectation that Leigh Adams will continue his head coaching role into the new season.

*=Expected but not yet confirmed.

IN: Dom Tyson (AFL)

OUT: Jacob Heron (Southport), Josh Clayton (Wodonga), Ryley Monkhorst (Mooroolbark), Harrison Gunther (North Adelaide)

RE-SIGNED: Harry Jones*, Ben Speight

TO BE CONFIRMED: Kade Answerth, Alex Polidoros, Connor Byrne, Flynn Appleby, Louis Cunningham, Mathew Walker, Tyler Roos, Bailey Boag, Curtis Brown, Mark Baker, Elijah Reardon, Hamish Dick , Jack Watkins, Jake Steele, Miller Hodge, Thomas Donnelly, Callum Kilpatrick, Hamish Murphy

Josh Clayton is a big loss for our midfield

Gunther was a decent KPD also

We did move Baker to CHB near the end of last year who looked ok but still we should be recruiting a tall defender

Of the senior north delisted players still only Garner has not confirmed where/if he plays footy next year

We did move Baker to CHB near the end of last year who looked ok but still we should be recruiting a tall defender

Of the senior north delisted players still only Garner has not confirmed where/if he plays footy next year
Thought they had a CHB from Port Colts signed?
Garner isn’t he going to play for Rowville in the EFL

At Garner's age and with his injury history he will not get another chance at AFL level. Would depend on what he wants to do with his life but I suspect he could make a lot more cash playing outside the VFL and have fewer training demands.

Are Hrovat and McMillan still working for the club? I'd be signing them up for sure. In fact I'd make it a priority. Having those two, plus Lynch, Speight, Appleby and Tyson would be all the senior players we'd need across a season IMO. Then we could dedicate the rest of the list spots to younger guys we have an eye on for the MSD. All I hope is is that we can at least pick up one or two talls. We'll need some depth in the back half.

Youseph Dib was training with the VFL side before Christmas too as was Sam Collins from Tassie.

Are Hrovat and McMillan still working for the club? I'd be signing them up for sure. In fact I'd make it a priority. Having those two, plus Lynch, Speight, Appleby and Tyson would be all the senior players we'd need across a season IMO. Then we could dedicate the rest of the list spots to younger guys we have an eye on for the MSD. All I hope is is that we can at least pick up one or two talls. We'll need some depth in the back half.

Youseph Dib was training with the VFL side before Christmas too as was Sam Collins from Tassie.
Jmac was down there a couple of Fridays ago, so I assume he's still working there.

I guess the question is whether these blokes want to commit the time to train and keep themselves in physical condition to play at a high level.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

There was an article on hrovat in the off season i think he's just doing office stuff. It's disappointing if we can't get these players playing as they're perfect to have around the vfl team for the experience. Jmac especially with his leadership aswell

There was an article on hrovat in the off season i think he's just doing office stuff. It's disappointing if we can't get these players playing as they're perfect to have around the vfl team for the experience. Jmac especially with his leadership aswell

One on them on each line Lynch/Hrovat across the forward line, Tyson in the middle and Jmac across half back. Perfect players to mould our younger guys. All of them got the absolute best out of themselves.

Pretty sure JMac is playing ammos. VFL would be a step up in training/fitness expectations, which he might not want to do.

Hrovat and Jmac are still are. Appelby is gone. Sam Collins and Youseph Dib are still training with us.

Hrovat and Jmac are still are. Appelby is gone. Sam Collins and Youseph Dib are still training with us.

FZz8QKJYYp8j8oInOOTB0as1blqibXIx_2TiJ5UrPSA.jpg

RIP the NMFC Boom Crash Opera Tribute act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eastern Premier league: Noble Park goes to 7-2 as it sees off Berwick​

Twenty-year-old Liam Scott was best-afield as Noble Park got the better of a persistent Berwick at Moodemere St.

July 4, 2021 - 11:00AM

Greater Dandenong Leader
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader.../c6afbc0604058f29900ae4467fe53d18#share-tools
Liam Scott with Noble Park coach Steve Hughes.

Liam Scott with Noble Park coach Steve Hughes.

Liam Scott admits he lost some interest in football last year.

There had been a bit of a buzz about the Noble Park player in 2019 as he earned the attention of VFL clubs and then an invitation to the AFL state draft combine.

He also made three appearances late in the season with the Dandenong Stingrays.

But 2020 was a write-off for him and most people in football.

“I sort of lost a bit of interest in footy, just with COVID and all that,’’ he said.

Scott decided he would play at Noble Park again in 2021 and see what became of it.

Happily, he’s enjoying the game again.

On Saturday at the Pat Wright Senior Oval he gave his best performance of the season and was best-afield as Noble Park defeated league newcomer Berwick by 20 points, 12.10 (82) to 10.2 (62), in Eastern Premier.

Quietly and steadily, Noble has made purposeful progress to the top rungs of the ladder.

No one at Moodemere St holds up this team of Bulls as world-beaters, but their seventh win from nine matches has them third.

For a few minutes early in the last quarter it appeared Berwick might finish over the top of them, with goals from Jed Smith, Josh Burgess and Madison Andrews cutting Noble Park’s lead to 18 points.

Suddenly the crowd was riding every umpiring decision and there were some shouts of frustration from the Noble Park coaching box.

But the Bulls gained the steadying goal they needed.

And of course it came from captain Kyle Martin, swinging the ball back from a set-shot close in.

Berwick got the next goal through its brilliant little forward Harrison “Easy’’ Money, his third for the match, but by then time was against the visitors.

Kicking into a cold wind, the Wickers had been held scoreless in the first quarter. But from there they kept at it and kept themselves in it; persistence was their best quality on a day when not everything went right for them. They made a few too many skill errors – dropped marks, missed kicks and handballs – to threaten Noble but they did enough things well to test the Bulls.

Three of their experienced leaders were at the heart of the challenge: Andrews and Travis Tuck, both bulls of footballers, and former VFL defender Michael Riseley.

Andrews had asked to play on Martin and went with him step for step. He was named in the best. Martin was for Noble too. Both had 21 possessions; given Martin had 50 touches the previous week, Berwick was calling it a win.

Fellow defenders Lachlan Vaughan, Riley Heddles and Anthony Vella did well too.

Back to Scott, who had 21 possessions and eight marks.

“I thought he did a really good job across half back,’’ coach Steve Hughes said of the 20-year-old.

“He was a little bit off the boil a couple of weeks back. In the first part of the season we played him as a key forward. We wanted to give him a new focus, and he’s got the skill-set to be a good defender. He’s aggressive, he’s quick, he’s strong, he’s good in the air.’’

The same description could apply to fellow defender Ryan Morrison, who had 33 disposals and eight marks.

Tom Glen, Luke Bull, Zig Alwan and Jackson Sketcher had an influence too. Left-footers Ali Zijai and Lachie Quaife both kicked two goals.
Hughes said the win was “hard work’’.

“I thought at quarter time that we’d had an opportunity to break them open, but their good players kept them in the game, I thought: Tuck, Madi Andrews, Money,’’ he said.

“I thought we were the better team. Didn’t play our best footy but we’ll take it every day of the week.
“I think they (Berwick) grow another leg against us because so many of the players know each other. There was some back and forth early in the game. They were up and about.’’

Hughes said he was pleased with Noble’s progress – and said it had “room for improvement’’.

“We’ve got seven or eight VFL-listed players and only one of them played today, so that was a good demonstration of the depth we’re building in the club. It shows we’re building a bit of resilience to those scenarios.’’

Berwick coach Clint Evans.

Berwick coach Clint Evans said his side started slowly again and was made to pay, as it had in previous rounds.

He said the Wicks were competing well in a stronger competition.

“The boys are having a crack but it’s a 10 ort 15-minute lapse in each game that costs us,’’ Evans said.

“We could get away with it from where we came from (AFL Outer East) but against these good sides, a 15-mimute lapse is four or five goals.
“That’s’ where we’ve got to get better.’’

He said Berwick was enjoying its maiden season in Eastern.

“Loving it. You’re playing a good side every week,’’ Evans said.

2019 article on Liam Scott

Liam Scott emerges from Noble Park and school football to earn state combine invitation​

The draft smoky from Keysborough has yet to play in the NAB League but he will line up with Dandenong Stingrays next week as interest rises in the 18-year-old.

2 min read
August 9, 2019 - 12:00PM
Greater Dandenong Leader

Mick Fogarty liked what he saw in Liam Scott.

And he was on to him early.

The Noble Park senior coach said in March that Scott had been a standout in practice matches and it was clear he was an exceptional young player.

Scott, 193cm, had won the medal as best-afield in Noble’s Under 19 premiership last year.

“I’m absolutely staggered he’s not on a TAC Cup list,’’ Fogarty said ahead of the season.

“He’s 18, 19 in December. Absolutely staggered — and I’ll put my neck on the line, which I have done with certain players — this kid will be a star at local level.

“That’s not to put pressure on him. Terrific hands, he’s smart, good below his knees, he’s athletic, he probably needs to work on his kicking, but he’s working on that…’’

Five months on, and despite having yet to play in the NAB League, Scott has been invited to the Victorian state combine.

Flanked by parents Bruce and Melissa, Liam Scott receives his senior Noble Park stripes.

Flanked by parents Bruce and Melissa, Liam Scott receives his senior Noble Park stripes.

The right-footer has spent the season playing mostly at Haileybury College, making cameos for Noble when not required for his school team.

Scott, from Keysborough, said he was disbelieving when one of his teachers pulled him aside last Monday and told him of his invitation.
“I didn’t believe him,’’ he said.

“I had no idea it was going to happen. I’m just happy to be given the chance.’’

Scott played junior football at Dingley and Mordialloc-Braeside before joining Noble Park at the encouragement of former Bulls player Craig “Block’’ Meade.
He said he had wanted to play in the state Under 18 competition “but I never really got a chance’’.

Scott’s performance for Haileybury against Carey Grammar brought him attention from AFL recruiters.

“A few clubs came to look at (Matthew) Rowell and (Noah) Anderson, and I played a good game and it started going from there,’’ he said.
“I’ve had an up and down sort of year but the last couple of games, I’ve picked it back up again.’’

Former Adelaide Crows player Brent Williams, who coaches the Noble Park Under 19s, said he wasn’t surprised to see Scott rising through the ranks.

“He’s got good size about him, and he’s got aggression, which a lot of these young kids don’t have a lot of at that age,’’ Williams said.

“He’s a really good mark and he can play anywhere. When he came to us we were told he was a gun full back and I could see how he could be. But we ran him through the midfield, on the wing, centre half forward and full forward in the end. He’s really good wherever you put him. He’s got speed, he’s got height and, like I said, he’s got some aggression. Really good mixture.’’

Scott said he appreciated the support of Noble Park and Fogarty.

“He (Fogarty) has backed me,’’ he said. “He helped get the ball rolling really.’’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back