VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things can change very quick look at Nick Stevens, looked alright 1st year now gone after his 2nd year, so anything can happen for Dempsey, Whyte, Knevitt, Kreuger, Willis,....Conway and Neale will be safe

Things can change very quick look at Nick Stevens, looked alright 1st year now gone after his 2nd year, so anything can happen for Dempsey, Whyte, Knevitt, Kreuger, Willis,....Conway and Neale will be safe
Kreuger??????????

So my understanding is that club plans to have 10 new people on the list for 2023. Maybe more with preseason and mid season spot?

3 already traded in
Will use 3 draft picks
2 new rookies (announced today)
And 2 rookie Bs

Very interesting as quite a lot of change on top of the 8 (?) they bought in last year. That is 40% new in 2 years. A list that is transitioning right in front of us.

I think goes well for vfl as long as they draft uninjured players!

I know Knevitt played well in his game in the seniors but he looked absolutely miles off in the second half of the season. To be fair, easy to think of plenty of reasons that was the case - and he could also have a Hartman/Gryan style preseason and explode out of the blocks in his second year.

Knevitt suffered greatly in the back half of the year from the lack of senior mids in the side (as we had injuries and few afl listed players) so he had to play more inside (whereas ideally he should have been on a wing) which he isnt bulked up enough for yet. But i saw enough in him talent and smarts wise that tells me once he develops the body mass he will be a real player. Im not worried about him so long as he can develop his strength

Knevitt suffered greatly in the back half of the year from the lack of senior mids in the side (as we had injuries and few afl listed players) so he had to play more inside (whereas ideally he should have been on a wing) which he isnt bulked up enough for yet. But i saw enough in him talent and smarts wise that tells me once he develops the body mass he will be a real player. Im not worried about him so long as he can develop his strength

You and I like Kneviitt but id say this for any player coming of a normal prep...let alone coming off a covid prep.... that the elevator form is not to be overly concerned about. How much footy has he played in the past. What level . How much training. Loads and types of training. Individually Id think Knev was acclimatised to being the bigger body...and not used to coping what he got. He will refresh and train and put on size. The positive was in one afl game.. the movement and size, the marking etc. I feel confident once he adds a couple of years worth of preseasons he will be a strong player. In the VFL id like to see him play some backline rolls... to enhance his flex. He still has a lot to learn but his the attributes that should allow him to play at the level when he has done so.

You and I like Kneviitt but id say this for any player coming of a normal prep...let alone coming off a covid prep.... that the elevator form is not to be overly concerned about. How much footy has he played in the past. What level . How much training. Loads and types of training. Individually Id think Knev was acclimatised to being the bigger body...and not used to coping what he got. He will refresh and train and put on size. The positive was in one afl game.. the movement and size, the marking etc. I feel confident once he adds a couple of years worth of preseasons he will be a strong player. In the VFL id like to see him play some backline rolls... to enhance his flex. He still has a lot to learn but his the attributes that should allow him to play at the level when he has done so.
I am confident the club will give him a couple more years to develop - he has a skill set that should be good enough if he develops. The team doesn’t need him to be an afl player in 2023 and probably not in 2024. It is 2025 and beyond that we need him at that level - and they will give that a crack.

Frankly it is the same for Dempsey and Toby and maybe some of those others who haven’t really played yet. Club is in a great place to “carry” these kids until they are ready. All we want to see from them is some excitement in the VFL, continued development. Any glimpse in the bigtime like we had in 2022 is a bonus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course you are right but I hope you are wrong for at least half of those guys.

btw it has gone quite on stevens. I think when announced a thought might have been that he could be rookied - but then have heard nothing about that. Maybe we wouldn’t.

do you think he should? or will be?

Of course you are right but I hope you are wrong for at least half of those guys.

btw it has gone quite on stevens. I think when announced a thought might have been that he could be rookied - but then have heard nothing about that. Maybe we wouldn’t.

do you think he should? or will
No Stevens is gone, not very good one on one, his kicking dropped off, not a great Mark, just had no tricks

do you think he should? or will be?
I am not saying they won't make it, some wasted a year being injured all the time, so face a hard battle Dempsey will get a 3rd year for not playing much footy, before we took him

Lots of changes in the VFL list with new coach and both co-captains now gone. Gives the club a chance to go and get a couple of big bodied experienced players (hopefully in defence) to come and be leaders. Just a couple of those would be great to add to what is an exciting group of young afl listed players

Lots of changes in the VFL list with new coach and both co-captains now gone. Gives the club a chance to go and get a couple of big bodied experienced players (hopefully in defence) to come and be leaders. Just a couple of those would be great to add to what is an exciting group of young afl listed players
I hadn't seen the news so I went looking - where has Ling announced he's out?

Now that Mullin has been confirmed, and Clohesy and Riccardi likely...this could be our prospective VFL side at any given point if everyone at AFL level is fit and - with our brand new VFL Premiership coach to lead it!

B: Capiron, Ratugolea, O'Connor
HB: Mullin, Fiore, Kroeger
C: Menegola, Parfitt, Knevitt
FO: Conway, Bruhn, Simpson
HF: O. Henry, S. Neale, Willis
F: McLachlan, Gillett, Dempsey
EXT. INT: Ceglar, Whyte, Pick 7, J. Chalcraft, Riccardi, Abbott, Clohesy, Pick 58,

Parfitt, Menegola, O'Connor and Ratugolea the AFL emergencies as of now - with O'Connor getting the nod (but this will likely change).
Neale likely to get games early part of the season, so may not even be in this side. Will likely end up forcing one of the aforementioned 4 out if he shows enough, and will push for consistent AFL selection if he signs on moving forward.

Absolutely stacked VFL side, IMO - and just shows that our depth will be at a whole new level if they can all get on the park and adapt to the new coach's gamestyle.

Exciting times for the entire club - AFL, VFL and AFLW. I'd say what a time to be alive, but it's basically been this amazing for the past 15 years and counting :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Now that Mullin has been confirmed, and Clohesy and Riccardi likely...this could be our prospective VFL side at any given point if everyone at AFL level is fit and - with our brand new VFL Premiership coach to lead it!

EXT. INT: Ceglar, Whyte, Pick 7, J. Chalcraft, Riccardi, Abbott, Clohesy, Pick 58,

Parfitt, Menegola, O'Connor and Ratugolea the AFL emergencies as of now - with O'Connor getting the nod (but this will likely change).
Neale likely to get games early part of the season, so may not even be in this side. Will likely end up forcing one of the aforementioned 4 out if he shows enough, and will push for consistent AFL selection if he signs on moving forward.

Absolutely stacked VFL side, IMO - and just shows that our depth will be at a whole new level if they can all get on the park and adapt to the new coach's gamestyle.

Exciting times for the entire club - AFL, VFL and AFLW. I'd say what a time to be alive, but it's basically been this amazing for the past 15 years and counting :tearsofjoy:
Certainly much better depth than last year (in theory anyway - depends on injuries).

But if this group does play 3/4 of the season together it will really help bridge any gaps into 2024 and beyond

McLachlan has moved to Western Australia. I doubt Abbott and Gillett will be returning to the list as well.

McLachlan has moved to Western Australia. I doubt Abbott and Gillett will be returning to the list as well.
Ah dang, didn't know about them. Makes things more interesting when it comes to list make up then. Gillett is the one that will be hard to replace, which is why I hope we snag a tall forward with one of our later picks, like Northam or Foster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back