• Richmond Tigers
  • Sandringham Zebras
  • Southport Sharks
  • Sydney Swans
  • Werribee Tigers
  • Williamstown Seagulls

SEASON DATES AND FINALS QUALIFICATION:

• Round 1 will begin on March 25th to align with AFL round 2
  • 18 matches, and 4 byes will follow for a total of 22 home and away rounds.
  • Wild card round will begin on August 26th, which will basically expand finals qualification from 8 teams to 10 teams.
  • Finals to begin September 2nd
  • Grand Final to be played on September 24

The 2023 VFL Finals will be as follows:

Wild Card Round:
(August 26 - 27)
7th vs 10th
8th vs 9th

Qualifying and Elimination Finals:
(September 2 - 3)
First Qualifying Final: 1st vs 4th
Second Qualifying Final: 2nd vs 3rd
First Elimination Final: 5th vs lower ranked wild card winner
Second Elimination Final: 6th vs highest ranked wild card winner

Semi-Finals:
(September 9 - 10)
First Semi Final: Loser of first qualifying final vs winner of first elimination final
Second Semi Final: Loser of second qualifying final vs winner of second elimination final

Preliminary Finals:
(September 16 - 17)
First Preliminary Final: Winner of first qualifying final vs winner of second semi final
Second Preliminary Final: Winner of second qualifying final vs winner of first semi final

Grand Final
(Sunday, September 24)
winner of the first preliminary final vs winner of the second preliminary final

COACHING CHANGES:

• Zane Littlejohn will replace Clint Proctor at the Box Hill Hawks
  • Ben Hudson will replace Mitch Hahn at the Brisbane Lions
  • Luke Power will replace Dan O'Keefe at the Carlton Blues
  • Jamie Cassidy-McNamara will replace Andrew Sturgess at the Coburg Lions
  • Josh Fraser will replace Craig Black at the Collingwood Magpies
  • Taylor Whitford will replace Mark Corrigan at the Casey Demons
  • Leigh Tudor will replace Brent Stanton at the Essendon Bombers
  • Mark Corrigan will replace Shane O'Bree at the Geelong Cats
  • Wayne Cripps will replace Damian Truslove at the GWS Giants
  • Brodie Holland will replace Ben Hart at the Northern Bullants
  • Tom Lynch holds on to the North Melbourne coaching gig after being a caretaker
  • Jeremy Laidler has departed the Sydney Swans
Good pickup for the giants, Wayne Cripps was great for dragons last season

January 2023 List Updates
January 2023 List Updates:

2023 VFL list changes.jpg

2023 VFL list changes (1).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (2).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (26).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (25).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (5).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (3).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (7).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (24).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (9).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (10).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (4).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (12).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (13).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (14).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (6).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (8).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (17).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (18).jpg

2023 VFL list changes (19).jpg

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
Dunno where else to put this, but interesting historical tidbit from an acquaintance associated with the late Sunshine FC. When it appeared Footscray were gone in '89, Sunshine, who had pulled out of the VFA during the season, were in contact with some of the Footscray board. To form a merged club heavily skewed towards the Dogs but with the navy on the Crows jumper replacing the Royal blue of the doggies. The club ironically to be called the Western Bulldogs. Old Yarraville contacts were involved in negotiations too.

A lot has been said about the ICI sponsorship saving the dogs to a big degree, but they were willing to chip in a fair bit to fund this endeavor. The vast majority of the first season's home games were to be played at the Western Oval to see if crowds be sufficient to pay the rent, with a couple of games and most training to be done at Skinner, as well as a game or 2 at Yarraville. If they could draw 5-6 k to the Western Oval they'd stay on, if not, move to Skinner.

The other kicker here too is that a lot of Footscray supporters were Willi fans. Research indicated 50 percent would jump ship.

I personally don't know how it would have fared, but seeing as it would largely have been a Footscray endevour, I could maybe see decent crowds, but with an eventual full time move to Skinner.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
Dunno where else to put this, but interesting historical tidbit from an acquaintance associated with the late Sunshine FC. When it appeared Footscray were gone in '89, Sunshine, who had pulled out of the VFA during the season, were in contact with some of the Footscray board. To form a merged club heavily skewed towards the Dogs but with the navy on the Crows jumper replacing the Royal blue of the doggies. The club ironically to be called the Western Bulldogs. Old Yarraville contacts were involved in negotiations too.

A lot has been said about the ICI sponsorship saving the dogs to a big degree, but they were willing to chip in a fair bit to fund this endeavor. The vast majority of the first season's home games were to be played at the Western Oval to see if crowds be sufficient to pay the rent, with a couple of games and most training to be done at Skinner, as well as a game or 2 at Yarraville. If they could draw 5-6 k to the Western Oval they'd stay on, if not, move to Skinner.

The other kicker here too is that a lot of Footscray supporters were Willi fans. Research indicated 50 percent would jump ship.

I personally don't know how it would have fared, but seeing as it would largely have been a Footscray endevour, I could maybe see decent crowds, but with an eventual full time move to Skinner.

Interesting story, hadn't heard that one, but there was a push / suggestion for the Dogs to move to Skinner in the seventies not long after Skinner was built. St.Kilda had recently moved to Moorabbin and moving to the suburbs seemed to be a good idea.

Wouldn't at all be surprised if your story was true, thankfully the Dogs saved themselves and it became a moot point. Our code of footy would be a desert in the western suburbs if there was no AFL presence now.

Am a member of both Willy and the Dogs and I'm still conflicted when they play in the VFL these days, they even played in a VFL final a few years ago. Personally I wouldn't have ditched Willy and I slightly favour Willy when they do play, I consider it their comp, and their only objective is to win flags, AFL Reserves sides have other objectives, winning a flag is nice but player development is their major objective.

Power to the stand alone sides, they are up against it.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Any news on a VFL Draw for 2023?
1 thing I like to see is North Melbourne vs Carlton Good Friday at 12pm for these reasons to give up and coming players from both clubs a chance to play on the big stage and the other reason is get a crowd in early with a game like the old days and hopefully more $$$$$$$$ to be raised for the RCH and the kids I’m sure supporters from both clubs would agree on that.

ringo1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2006
Williamstown/Echuca
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any news on a VFL Draw for 2023?
1 thing I like to see is North Melbourne vs Carlton Good Friday at 12pm for these reasons to give up and coming players from both clubs a chance to play on the big stage and the other reason is get a crowd in early with a game like the old days and hopefully more $$$$$$$$ to be raised for the RCH and the kids I’m sure supporters from both clubs would agree on that.
I think clubs will just call each other up weekly and arrange it themselves.

Dec 18, 2013
Leaning against the boundary fence
AFL Club
Carlton
Their crayon to do the fixtures must have gotten broken.
We will have to wait until Officeworks gets more in stock now that all the back-to-school sales are over before they can continue doing them.

#AmateurHour

Either that or they will get Billy Brownless' wheel and conduct a fixture draw every Monday morning to determine what the next weekend's matches will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MRobbo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2004
Mornington
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Frankston,LA Lakers
This is Frankston’s first game of the season as advertised at Kinetic Stadium tonight it is in round 2. Frankston has a bye in round 1

Attachments

• 75414FE0-B4A5-4772-B68F-00619F6AD6C5.jpeg
    75414FE0-B4A5-4772-B68F-00619F6AD6C5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62

Remove this Banner Ad

Back