VFL 2023 - GOLD COAST SUNS WIN THE PREMIERSHIP

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Stand Alone practice game triple Header on Saturday March 4 at Highgate Reserve,Craigieburn
Northern Bullants vs Williamstown 10:45am
Frankston vs Werribee at 1pm
Coburg vs Port Melborune at 3:15pm

Vfl fixture is out
Carlton vs Southport will not happen for 2nd straight season
Footscray playing home games at Port Melbourne and Werribee due to Whitten oval unavailable
Essendon playing home games at The Hangar

Vfl fixture is out
Carlton vs Southport will not happen for 2nd straight season
Footscray playing home games at Port Melbourne and Werribee due to Whitten oval unavailable
Essendon playing home games at The Hangar
Hate that. Not public transport accessible at all.

The Hangar? Bus stop right outside the ground
I live in Glen Iris. I would have to catch two trains, a tram and a bus there, and it would take me over an hour and a half to get there. For someone like Yoda_ , who regularly attends VFL games but is from further out it would take over two hours. It's all well and good to have a bus stop there but when it takes that long via PT it's a s**t move.

I live in Glen Iris. I would have to catch two trains, a tram and a bus there, and it would take me over an hour and a half to get there. For someone like Yoda_ , who regularly attends VFL games but is from further out it would take over two hours. It's all well and good to have a bus stop there but when it takes that long via PT it's a s**t move.
That’s just the way it is unfortunately. Don’t say there is no PT because there is. PT generally does take longer.

That’s just the way it is unfortunately. Don’t say there is no PT because there is. PT generally does take longer.
Coming from an inner city suburb and taking well over 90 minutes to get there is not PT accessible.

And yes, it takes longer but via public transport it takes me a comparative 50 minutes to get to Windy Hill. Nearly half the time. Hell, even Werribee is only just over an hour to get to.

Hey guys

Brendan (Jonty) Rhodes and I are trying our hand at a VFL Podcast/Video to provide some extra traction around the VFL and VFLW competition. We're both callers in the VFL and trying to do a bit more to grow some profile around the competitions.

We'd appreciate any support/feedback and if it gains some momentum, we'll keep doing them.

If you get a chance to check it out, it would be wonderful. Baby steps from here.

YOUTUBE - VFL 23 - Episode 1
SPOTIFY - VFL23

Hey guys

Brendan (Jonty) Rhodes and I are trying our hand at a VFL Podcast/Video to provide some extra traction around the VFL and VFLW competition. We're both callers in the VFL and trying to do a bit more to grow some profile around the competitions.

We'd appreciate any support/feedback and if it gains some momentum, we'll keep doing them.

If you get a chance to check it out, it would be wonderful. Baby steps from here.

SPOTIFY - VFL23
I've given the opening episode a listen already. Great start, legends! Keen to see where it goes from here.

I've given the opening episode a listen already. Great start, legends! Keen to see where it goes from here.
Thanks so much.. super appreciated.. we only got through a fraction of the content we planned to do .. we've got loads in the bag ready to go .. Rhodesy has the Vic side covered and Sydney too (he is a Sydney fan) and I'm an ex Vic living in Queensland .. so we've got most areas covered.

Your support is amazing! :)

Hey guys

SPOTIFY - VFL23
It was great

Interesting quote with the fixture release ...

“The Smithy's VFL is the largest football competition in Australia. With the men’s and women’s season dates aligning more closely this year, developing the fixtures for both competitions has been a significant undertaking. We are grateful for the patience and support that has been displayed by all stakeholders.

How are they judging 'largest football competition'? Number of clubs in a state league? It's about the only way they could. Definitely not crowd figures LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“The Smithy's VFL is the largest football competition in Australia. With the men’s and women’s season dates aligning more closely this year, developing the fixtures for both competitions has been a significant undertaking. We are grateful for the patience and support that has been displayed by all stakeholders.

How are they judging 'largest football competition'? Number of clubs in a state league? It's about the only way they could. Definitely not crowd figures LOL.
I would assume 21 teams is the largest Australian Rules competition

I would assume 21 teams is the largest Australian Rules competition
Depends. Teams in totality it's VAFA then daylight. In a single division it's the VFL.

Depends. Teams in totality it's VAFA then daylight. In a single division it's the VFL.

VAFA, Adelaide FL and Perth FL very much at the top in terms of the number of clubs.

Odd to say that the VFL is the biggest competition in Australia when there is the AFL to consider. I suppose that the VFL don't reckon that 'the largest, single division competition in Australia' captures the imagination the same way.

I wonder if it factors in connection to more teams external to the VFL.. with the teams aligned for the AFL clubs in the VFL men's competition, so many players from teams in other competitions play in the competition.. with the 3 clubs here in Queensland .. so many players that play in the QAFL play in the VFL each week.. and when not selected, go back to their local club.. then factoring in Academy players..

I assume there isn’t anything at this stage, but is there a site or document I can find that has each club’s list for the 2023 season? Seen a couple articles about players re-committing and such but nothing like what I’d find in a footy record (do they even make that anymore?). If anyone can help please let me know!

I assume there isn’t anything at this stage, but is there a site or document I can find that has each club’s list for the 2023 season? Seen a couple articles about players re-committing and such but nothing like what I’d find in a footy record (do they even make that anymore?). If anyone can help please let me know!
Not as of yet, mate. I think Sydney is the only one.

Brendan Rhodes put together a 7 part series on afl.com.au/vfl of most of the list changes and I put together this at the start of the year but it's changed a lot since then.... I'll do an updated one within the next week or more but if there are any specific teams you are interested in getting information about feel free to shoot me a dm.

Herald Sun usually puts out a list at the start of March

Remove this Banner Ad

Back