VFL/AFL Reserves & Under-19 Records?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is an easy one - U19 premiers.

A list please.

In case somebody hasn't got the list ready to paste:

AFL Record Season Guides will have the list
http://www.slatterymedia.com/store
(2010 edition should go on sale later this year at under $10.)

Another source of Reserves and U19 Stats:
Footystats: 2000 edition : Australian Football League statistics 1897-1999; a comprehensive study of league football / Kevin Taylor
(Includes each reserve team's win/loss record against all opponents.)

Author Taylor, Kevin Subjects Australian Football League; Australian football - Statistics. Bookmark http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/6586970
Work ID6586970

Your local library may be able to get a copy

Apart from Mark Scott's 655 goals as listed above, some other prolific goalkickers in AFL history spent some time in the reserves:

Gary Ablett (Hawthorn and Geelong) 27 games, 92 goals
Kevin Bartlett (Richmond) 9 games, 19 goals
Peter Daicos (Collingwood) 35 games, 29 goals
Jason Dunstall (Hawthorn) 10 games, 36 goals
Dick Harris (Richmond) 1 game, 4 goals
Matthew Lloyd (Essendon) 29 games, 60 goals
Peter McKenna (Collingwood and Carlton) 26 games, 95 goals
Matthew Richardson (Richmond) 10 games, 24 goals
Michael Roach (Richmond) 36 games, 60 goals
Brian Taylor (Richmond and Collingwood) 70 games, 277 goals
Jack Titus (Richmond) 32 games, 58 goals

Does anyone know the date when the Under 19s first began playing in 1946? Have been looking through some of the online copies of the old 1946 footy records as posted recently by the State Library, but there is no mention that a thirds competition has started that year. I noticed a final ladder but no details as to how the competition was progressing on a weekly basis, or which week it first started.

Does anyone know the date when the Under 19s first began playing in 1946? Have been looking through some of the online copies of the old 1946 footy records as posted recently by the State Library, but there is no mention that a thirds competition has started that year. I noticed a final ladder but no details as to how the competition was progressing on a weekly basis, or which week it first started.

A "curtain-raiser" will be played between the St Kilda and Richmond thirds, who will open their competition.

Argus Friday 3 May 1946.

I need to know who the losing team was in these respective Reserves Grand Finals:

1999, 1976, 74, 69, 68, 65, 62, 61, 59, 58, 56, 53, and pretty much all GF back to 1919. Also, if any ground other than the MCG was hosting these games or those few in the 40's or so that were played at Princes Park.

I need to know who the losing team was in these respective Reserves Grand Finals:

1999, 1976, 74, 69, 68, 65, 62, 61, 59, 58, 56, 53, and pretty much all GF back to 1919. Also, if any ground other than the MCG was hosting these games or those few in the 40's or so that were played at Princes Park.

AFL Record Season Guides include lists of reserves premiers and runners-up.

You can buy the 2010 edition for $10 from Slattery Media

More Reserves records can be found in:

Footystats: 2000 edition : Australian Football League statistics 1897-1999; a comprehensive study of league football / Kevin Taylor
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/6586970
Work ID6586970

Your local library may be able to locate a copy for you.

A "curtain-raiser" will be played between the St Kilda and Richmond thirds, who will open their competition.

Argus Friday 3 May 1946.

Thanks for this information relating to when the Under 19s began. Would it be correct to therefore calculate there were 17 home and away rounds in the Under 19s for 1946? This is based on the assumption that the finals for all three grades began on the same weekend.

Thanks for this information relating to when the Under 19s began. Would it be correct to therefore calculate there were 17 home and away rounds in the Under 19s for 1946? This is based on the assumption that the finals for all three grades began on the same weekend.

Argus Friday 6 September 1946:

Melbourne Thirds will meet North Melbourne Colts in the semi-final of the Thirds Competition. This match, which was to have been played on Saturday week, will be played tomorrow at Ransford Oval, Royal Park, beginning at 12.30pm

Firsts and 2nds First Semi-Finals were played at the MCG Sat. 7 September 1946.

1991 with the Grand Final played at Waverley as one of the curtain raisers before the AFL GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting scorelines from the Under 19s in Round 15, 1986.

Hawthorn 3.10 (28) defeated St.Kilda 4.2 (26).

In the same round North Melbourne booted 29.21 (195) to Richmond 6.3 (39), with Mick Martyn slotting through 11 goals.

Essendon and Richmond both amassed a score of 224 in the Under 19s in Round 22, 1987. Richmond kicked 34.20 to St. Kilda's 7.6 (48), whilst Essendon had a slightly bigger win by kicking 33.26 against Collingwood 6.9 (45).

In relation to the Under 19s Grand Final, these are the details as displayed in The Age microfilm:

GOALS
Melbourne: Cordner 5, Fidge 3, Bergman 2, Tossol 2, Withers 2, Battiston, Connolly, Dickson, Fisher, McCarthy
Geelong: Kol 4, Gordon 3, Zychla 2, Cleave, Nichols, Hughes, Russell, Sells

BEST
Melbourne: Battiston, Connolly, Dickson, Fidge, Joycey, Withers
Geelong: Evans, Fedke, Kol, McIntyre

If you have an idea what web site they may have been posted on in 2000
the "Wayback Machine" http://www.archive.org/web/web.php might possibly find something.

Unfortunately the current URL http://www.vfl.com.au/ in 2000 was "Victorian Finance & Leasing Limited."

Spot on, RR !!

Use the link to the Wayback Machine and search for the website
www.footballvic.com.au

The 2000 season results are visible round by round, plus finals.
A quick glance suggests that for each match you can see 1/4 by 1/4 scores, plus goals and best players for each club.

That's pretty bloody sensational, thanks.

Pushing my luck - don't suppose anyone can point me to a concise & complete history of the affiliations between VFL and AFL clubs since the start of 2000?

Well, I've got all the VFL scores from various means except for 2004.

I'm particularly after Box Hill's scores - I've tried heaps of sites through the www.archive.org but not got much at all for that year. Any suggestions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back