VFL/AFL Scorigami

Remove this Banner Ad

A few years ago, the concept of Scorigami gained some major traction in the NFL after Jon Bois of SB Nation put up a youtube video about the topic. You can watch that here:

After the video, a website was developed where NFL scorigami was tracked. You can view this here: https://nflscorigami.com/

The last few weeks Ive been slowly getting the data to do a VFL/AFL scorigami.
If you see the attacked file you will see the all time VFL/AFL scorigami.
In Green is prior to 2019, while in red is 2019 scorigami

For those curious, here is the 18 2019 Scorigami games

Rd 1 - Fremantle 141 def. 59 North Melbourne
Rd 1 - Greater Western Sydney 112 def. 40 Essendon
Rd 3 - Essendon 130 def. 112 Melbourne
Rd 6 - Geelong 104 def. 46 West Coast
Rd 7 - North Melbourne 120 def. 62 Carlton
Rd 9 - Greater Western Sydney 138 def. 44 Hawthorn
Rd 10 - Richmond 73 def. 50 Essendon
Rd 11 - Essendon 74 def. 33 Carlton
Rd 14 - West Coast 106 def. 71 Essendon
Rd 16 - Richmond 150 def. 58 Gold Coast
Rd 16 - West Coast 122 def. 31 Fremantle
Rd 20 - Collingwood 120 def. 51 Gold Coast
Rd 21 - Brisbane 144 def. 53 Gold Coast
Rd 21 - Western Bulldogs 137 def. 33 Essendon
Rd 21 - Hawthorn 85 def. 29 Greater Western Sydney
Rd 21 - Geelong 69 def. 14 North Melbourne
Rd 22 - Western Bulldogs 126 def. 65 Greater Western Sydney
Grand Final - Richmond 114 def. 25

Attachments

• AFL Scorigami.xlsx
    114.7 KB · Views: 243
I’ve had my own version of this running since I first saw the NFL original. However there’s so many gaps due to the nature of scoring in Aussie Rules that it’s nowhere near as interesting as in the NFL, and I rarely look at it.

For example, the most often a particular score line has appeared in the NFL is a whopping 266 (20-17), so it seems amazing that there are other not too dissimilar scores that have never happened at all.

With the AFL, the most popular score has only happened 13 times (80-79, 94-87) and we have a much bigger range of scores.

The main points of interest are the little weird facts like the one Baird mentioned above.

Would be cool to see how many times each scoreline has been reach. Is it possible to have a counter on each cell? I hope you didn't fill in the options manually.

Would be cool to see how many times each scoreline has been reach. Is it possible to have a counter on each cell? I hope you didn't fill in the options manually.
Im average at excel.
So yeah, was done manually :/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ask and ye shall receive

80-79 and 94-87 are the most common scores occurring 13 times each.

You can pick out the occasional scoreline which seems to be overly frequent. 146-84 happened 6 times which is well above average for that range - and all six fell within a 23-year timeframe.

Also makes the biggest holes in the chart more apparent too. 99-73 has never happened, but 99-70, 99-71, 99-72, 99-74, 99-75 have occurred 34 times.

Attachments

• Scorigami.xlsx
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
Something I've spent too much time with was a scorigami from all senior football leagues, all the way from the AFL, to the state leagues, to country leagues. Various sources included Local Footy Stats, Phil Gluyas, australianfootball.com, the NSW Australian Football History Society, Trove, various footy records and documents, and Bigfooty threads. I'm not even done with Phil Gluyas's project yet, I still have 2016-2020 to work through...and the fact that there's still millions of scores that haven't received attention throughout the years...

But so far, the far-from-complete scorigami has 22416 scores and counting:

I'd estimate that about 25000-30000 scores have occurred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back