VFL competition is a mess

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep on forgetting how close Preston is to the City. The train ride out just makes me always think it's outer north east haha. I'd like another Northern club still, we have 3 out west there (Willy, Werribee, Port), 1 northern (Coburg), 1 east (Box Hill) and 4 south east (Dandy, Frankston, Sandy, Springvale). Ideally it'd be 3 west, 3 north, 2 east, 2 south east. So for me we should aim to have:

Willy, Bees, Port; Burgers, Preston, ???; Box Hill, Camberwell; Sandy, Springvale.

However open to not having that third Northern team and adding Frankston.

I'd add a few more teams for more competition too. Looking at the A league where teams seemingly play each other every few weeks gets boring.

I'd add a few more teams for more competition too. Looking at the A league where teams seemingly play each other every few weeks gets boring.
10 team competition; you can have 18 rounds and play everyone at home once and away once. Using my team (St Mary's Salesian in the Ammos) fixture as an example, here's our draw:

St. Johns vs SMS

BYE (ANZAC Weekend)

SMS vs Brunswick NOBSPC
SMS vs Ormond
Therry Penola vs SMS
SMS vs Whitefriars
Penleigh Essendon GS vs SMS
SMS vs Ivanhoe
SMS vs Oakleigh

BYE (QB Weekend)

Preston vs SMS
SMS vs SJOC
Whitefriars vs SMS
Ormond vs SMS
SMS vs TP
Brunswick vs SMS
SMS vs Preston
Oakleigh vs SMS
Ivanhoe vs SMS
SMS vs PEGS

It works. You can have 2 byes for all teams, one on State League day, another later in the year.

10 team competition; you can have 18 rounds and play everyone at home once and away once. Using my team (St Mary's Salesian in the Ammos) fixture as an example, here's our draw:

St. Johns vs SMS

BYE (ANZAC Weekend)

SMS vs Brunswick NOBSPC
SMS vs Ormond
Therry Penola vs SMS
SMS vs Whitefriars
Penleigh Essendon GS vs SMS
SMS vs Ivanhoe
SMS vs Oakleigh

BYE (QB Weekend)

Preston vs SMS
SMS vs SJOC
Whitefriars vs SMS
Ormond vs SMS
SMS vs TP
Brunswick vs SMS
SMS vs Preston
Oakleigh vs SMS
Ivanhoe vs SMS
SMS vs PEGS

It works. You can have 2 byes for all teams, one on State League day, another later in the year.

Would the VAFA have any desire to include current VFL teams in their operations, i understand the history but times have changed.

Would the VAFA have any desire to include current VFL teams in their operations, i understand the history but times have changed.
Not sure, but I was just using it as an example as how a 10 team competition would work. However I would like a couple of other sides to make it a 22 round season.

Would be great to see Fitzroy and South Melbourne in a newly re-established VFA. Unlikely I know, but I can dream.

Also, having only two teams in the south-east seems like under-representation to me for what is such a big area. Frankston makes sense as an inclusion on a couple of levels.

My "ideal world" proposal for a 12 team competition:

Box Hill
Coburg
Fitzroy
Frankston
Port Melbourne
Preston
Sandringham
Springvale
South Melbourne
Werribee
Williamstown

And then one of the other traditional VFA clubs, from:
Brunswick
Camberwell
Caulfield
Dandenong
Northcote
Oakleigh
Prahran
Sunshine
Yarraville

Would be great to see Fitzroy and South Melbourne in a newly re-established VFA. Unlikely I know, but I can dream.

Also, having only two teams in the south-east seems like under-representation to me for what is such a big area. Frankston makes sense as an inclusion on a couple of levels.

My "ideal world" proposal for a 12 team competition:

Box Hill
Coburg
Fitzroy
Frankston
Port Melbourne
Preston
Sandringham
Springvale
South Melbourne
Werribee
Williamstown

And then one of the other traditional VFA clubs, from:
Brunswick
Camberwell
Caulfield
Dandenong
Northcote
Oakleigh
Prahran
Sunshine
Yarraville
Fitzroy as an inclusion works as my 3rd from that area. South Melbourne also works as an inner city club. The last one should definitely be an Eastern Suburbs club, which would be Camberwell.

Nah, even Phil knows that ship has sailed.

Jusging by the last page of posts, is a fantasy thread, not a serious discussion about how to improve the 'VFL'?

Somethings got to be done. If Hawthorn and St Kilda decide to have stand alone teams which you'd imagine will happen it will be the final nail.

Somethings got to be done. If Hawthorn and St Kilda decide to have stand alone teams which you'd imagine will happen it will be the final nail.
Hawthorn has had 100% control over BH since day 1. No need to split. It is a key part of their offering.
Secondly, some posts are suggesting that a new VFA include clubs that folded decades ago.
Do you guys know the resources - not just money, but dozens of volunteers - that it takes to run a club? None of what you propose is remotely possible.
I agree the VFL/VFA is a mess and it is a tragic shame. It would be great to hear some real world suggestions.

Hamohawk - do you go to VFL games. I do and I don't think that there is a single Box Hill Mustangs supporter left (I.e someone that does not follow Hawthorn). Not a single one. There is no Box Hill without Hawthorn. Preston might have 100 supporters, Casey 0 - 50. Sandy have a few hundred. These clubs are stuffed, and without games v AFL reserves, they would not be on Channel 7 or be able to obtain players or sponsorship.
Vermont have more supporters and play in front of bigger crowds than most VFL clubs.
I don't know what the solution is.
There probably isn't one.

Hamohawk - do you go to VFL games. I do and I don't think that there is a single Box Hill Mustangs supporter left (I.e someone that does not follow Hawthorn). Not a single one. There is no Box Hill without Hawthorn. Preston might have 100 supporters, Casey 0 - 50. Sandy have a few hundred. These clubs are stuffed, and without games v AFL reserves, they would not be on Channel 7 or be able to obtain players or sponsorship.
Vermont have more supporters and play in front of bigger crowds than most VFL clubs.
I don't know what the solution is.
There probably isn't one.

That's the pessimistic view.

I know the guys at Werribee quite well and their survival is guaranteed thanks to some very good management decisions such as the Tigers Clubhouse and the magnificent new facilities under construction.

Box Hill invested in those facilities probably 18 years ago now (that pavilion in the pocket) and their survival is guaranteed thanks to the Eastern Ranges.

The sponsorship discussion is interesting. The longest term sponsor in the competition is SEW-Eurodrive and Sandringham.

That's the pessimistic view.

I know the guys at Werribee quite well and their survival is guaranteed thanks to some very good management decisions such as the Tigers Clubhouse and the magnificent new facilities under construction.

Box Hill invested in those facilities probably 18 years ago now (that pavilion in the pocket) and their survival is guaranteed thanks to the Eastern Ranges.

The sponsorship discussion is interesting. The longest term sponsor in the competition is SEW-Eurodrive and Sandringham.
Totally different situation. Box Hill was never a strong club pre Hawthorn.
And now, there is no Box Hill without Hawthorn. There are no juniors, no supporters and no social club like Tigers clubhouse. It is not a commmunity/local club the way Weribee/Willi is.
It exists purely for the Hawthorn community. Everything is run and funded by Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have a clue how the Northern Blues deal is going?

This current competition is a mess. All AFL clubs should be stand alone in 1 league while the clubs such as Sandringham and Williamstown etc should form their own league. At leased they will get their identity back.

Does anyone have a clue how the Northern Blues deal is going?

This current competition is a mess. All AFL clubs should be stand alone in 1 league while the clubs such as Sandringham and Williamstown etc should form their own league. At leased they will get their identity back.
I want the other clubs to get their identity back too but fear so much damage been done maybe it is too far gone. God I hope I am wrong.

Be nice to have a league just for these clubs and re-purpose their role to become an under 21 league with the TAC Under 18's scrapped and they play in this league instead. Then you could even add Calder Cannons or Easter Ranges to it if you like
and make it a 12 club league with the following VFA clubs becoming under 21 roles as clubs:

Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Sandringham
Preston
Werribee
Frankston
Coburg
North Ballarat
Box Hill
Springvale/Casey Scorpions

Then we could remove the AFL reserve players for their own league and untangle the mess of last 25 years. Keeping the heritage of old VFA clubs like Port, Willy and Sandringham alive is what I want to see protected and if we can bring back Preston and 1 or two others, even better.

I want the other clubs to get their identity back too but fear so much damage been done maybe it is too far gone. God I hope I am wrong.

Be nice to have a league just for these clubs and re-purpose their role to become an under 21 league with the TAC Under 18's scrapped and they play in this league instead. Then you could even add Calder Cannons or Easter Ranges to it if you like
and make it a 12 club league with the following VFA clubs becoming under 21 roles as clubs:

Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Sandringham
Preston
Werribee
Frankston
Coburg
North Ballarat
Box Hill
Springvale/Casey Scorpions

Then we could remove the AFL reserve players for their own league and untangle the mess of last 25 years. Keeping the heritage of old VFA clubs like Port, Willy and Sandringham alive is what I want to see protected and if we can bring back Preston and 1 or two others, even better.
Big problem with the own reserves comp for AFL once again is where will clubs such as Melbourne and Hawthorn play reserves games?

Also the other concerning factor is money. Channel 7 would only invest into broadcasting AFL reserves games so the traditional VFA clubs would be making no profit and would struggle to attract talent due to lack of money. To go with their low membership based, I doubt they would be even semi professional.

I was thinking more of a 2 division type competition where the AFL reserves clubs play in div 1 and the VFA clubs play in div 2. Then they can have like a relegation system from div 1 and a promotion system from div 2. Its just a thought.

I would love to see the identity come back completely too...

Big problem with the own reserves comp for AFL once again is where will clubs such as Melbourne and Hawthorn play reserves games?

I would have though it fairly straight forward. If it is the reserves league you are going to have about 5 games in Victoria each weekend so when the AFL senior team is playing a night game the reserves play 3 or 4 hours earlier at somewhere like Princes Park and the AFL day games in Melbourne actually have it as the curtain raiser at the AFL game ground. These games spread out on weekend just like the AFL teams. That is the whole point. Align the reserves more with playing on same day as seniors.

Also the other concerning factor is money. Channel 7 would only invest into broadcasting AFL reserves games so the traditional VFA clubs would be making no profit and would struggle to attract talent due to lack of money. To go with their low membership based, I doubt they would be even semi professional.
Well what I was proposing was not bringing back the VFA as such as the old Sunday league is dead and buried forever. There actually is no role for any senior state league anymore as so my suggestion is re-purpose the role of these old VFA clubs but keep the same identity in place. I think their role would be ideal to replace the function of TAC clubs and the nursery domain for teenagers and all young 20 year old footballers still wanting to try to get drafted into AFL system.

I think if we scrap the TAC Cup in Victoria and instead create an under 21 league instead and give the role over to the VFA club identities we move into the new landscape of 21st century football but keep the identity of clubs like Port Melbourne and Williamstown alive.

I was thinking more of a 2 division type competition where the AFL reserves clubs play in div 1 and the VFA clubs play in div 2. Then they can have like a relegation system from div 1 and a promotion system from div 2. Its just a thought.

I would love to see the identity come back completely too...

This type of model was type of one I proposed a year or two age but since I came to realisation that VFA niche just does not exist anymore for senior state leagues outside all the 800 or so players in AFL clubs. But what still exists is something we can expand on for under 18s to become under 21s and re-jig what the old VFA clubs do and still keep their identity and heritage.

The best solution, that will never happen, would be for AFL Victoria to combine all metro leagues under one league and have divisions similar to the Ammos/ soccer.

Div 1 would have - Werribee, Willy, Port, Casey, Box Hill, Coburg, Sandringham, Frankston... and then perhaps Vermont, Noble Park, Keilor & Aberfelide
Div 2 - Deer Park, Greenvale, Strathmore, Balwyn, Blackburn, Croydon, Bundoora etc etc

With promotion and relegation at seasons end.

The best solution, that will never happen, would be for AFL Victoria to combine all metro leagues under one league and have divisions similar to the Ammos/ soccer.

Div 1 would have - Werribee, Willy, Port, Casey, Box Hill, Coburg, Sandringham, Frankston... and then perhaps Vermont, Noble Park, Keilor & Aberfelide
Div 2 - Deer Park, Greenvale, Strathmore, Balwyn, Blackburn, Croydon, Bundoora etc etc

Would the Ammo's stay separate? Because those clubs are Amateurs for a reason

Eureka Stadium video update from yesterday shows the ground nearing completion of its first stage, a couple of good aerials:

Unfortunately, I cannot see any powerful suburban club joining up to a state wide competition.
The AFL clubs are pretty keen to have a stand alone 2s competition and with North having a stand alone team next year, it is getting closer to fruition.
Other posters are correct regarding Box Hill and Northern, as they are run and controlled by their AFL masters.
I see the VFL disbanding with the remaining VFL teams becoming part of the local landscape. I cannot see kids wanting to play VFL when their is no resemblance of a pathway system to the AFL like it is now. The VFL will become a glorified 2s competition as players will choose their local cashed up clubs over the likes of Williamstown, Sandringham etc.
Unfortunately, I see the writing on the wall for the VFL in it current form.

Unfortunately, I cannot see any powerful suburban club joining up to a state wide competition.
The AFL clubs are pretty keen to have a stand alone 2s competition and with North having a stand alone team next year, it is getting closer to fruition.
Other posters are correct regarding Box Hill and Northern, as they are run and controlled by their AFL masters.
I see the VFL disbanding with the remaining VFL teams becoming part of the local landscape. I cannot see kids wanting to play VFL when their is no resemblance of a pathway system to the AFL like it is now. The VFL will become a glorified 2s competition as players will choose their local cashed up clubs over the likes of Williamstown, Sandringham etc.
Unfortunately, I see the writing on the wall for the VFL in it current form.

While some players persevere with the dream and hope they may get listed in the AFL via the VFL but i hear of more and more players having a kick either with their mates or at another local or bush league for the $$$.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back