Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie pie

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers
I have been bugging the club re the lack of coverage of the VFL and finally received a reply, not a good one but not surprising either. Here is their reply.

Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have had a brief chat with out digital content producers, and it seems that simple answer comes down to resourcing.

Live-streaming is an incredibly taxing project to undertake, and at this time the feedback seems to be that those resources - staff and otherwise - are better spent on some of the other content pieces we produce aroun VFL that other clubs don't, such as the 60-second wrap immediately post-game, or the dedicated weekly show.

There is some scope for radio broadcasts to return for away games, but this is still being worked out on the back end.

In summary, each decision made in relation to VFL coverage relies heavily upon internal resourcing and external feedback. Your comments are certainly valuable, and I can assure you that it's taken on board.

Both staff members I spoke to are very passionate about the VFL, and they wish they could do more, but unfortunately their time is being devoted to other initiatives at the present time.

If you have any further questions feel free to call us on 1300 MAGPIE (62 47 43), or simply reply to this email.

Kind regards,

Josh
Sales & Acquisitions Coordinator
Collingwood Football Club

I have been bugging the club re the lack of coverage of the VFL and finally received a reply, not a good one but not surprising either. Here is their reply.
Live-streaming is an incredibly taxing project to undertake, and at this time the feedback seems to be that those resources - staff and otherwise - are better spent on some of the other content pieces we produce aroun VFL that other clubs don't, such as the 60-second wrap immediately post-game, or the dedicated weekly show.

Glad you got a reply but what has the bolded part got to do with putting up a full replay the next day??

Resourcing = money

Money that is spent on some bullshit netball side instead of providing coverage of the footy.

Consider that next time you renew your memberships

Glad you got a reply but what has the bolded part got to do with putting up a full replay the next day??
Exactly, given all games are recorded it wouldn’t take much to put up a full unedited replay with no commentary from one camera, which would satisfy most fans.

Resourcing = money

Money that is spent on some bullshit netball side instead of providing coverage of the footy.

Yeah!

Why should we employ female athletes and be a place where young girls can achieve their dreams when there's 200 nuffies that want to watch VFL football every week?

Yeah!

Why should we employ female athletes and be a place where young girls can achieve their dreams when there's 200 nuffies that want to watch VFL football every week?

I'm sure there are other clubs that cater for aspiring netballers.

Collingwood members pay money to join a football club in case you hadn't noticed.

So happy they put up the 60 second wrap because no other club does that and we want to stay ahead of other clubs don’t we. Also Lullie st is so important as a wrap of a game you actually can’t see.

When are they going to invent a font that conveys sarcasm?

I'm sure there are other clubs that cater for aspiring netballers.

Collingwood members pay money to join a football club in case you hadn't noticed.

I hadn't noticed that, but to be fair, I've only been a member myself for 25 years.

I was spending my money just so I could get a free hat and scarf — but you're telling me there's actual football involved that I could have been watching this whole time!?

Man, thanks so much.

I thought the club sells dedicated netball memberships and takes money from gate receipts at netball games, but if you're right and the netball department brings in no money at all to pay these exorbitant netball wages, then yeah, we have a real issue. I don't want my money funding uppity women trying to make something of themselves when we could be watching live VFL streams.

I trust you over a well-credentialed club board that has experience managing these kinds of things.

Good luck in your pursuit of turning this issue around. Keep fighting the good fight.

For the record, I think it's an absolute no-brainer when it comes to the club posting full replays and live streams when applicable of every VFL game.

It should be a priority of the club to give more credence to the VFL team. Encourage more interest in the side, more eyeballs on the next generation and create a better connection for fans between its two football sides. Given the direct correlation between VFL success and AFL success when it comes to list depth and style of football, you'd think someone would notice.

If I was in charge of the media dept, it would be one of the first things I lobbied for.

To be fair, I really like where the VFL side is heading this year. Their success and depth can only mean good things for the AFL side.

The truth is, where there is demand, a service will be provided. Unfortunately, the few hundred of us that might watch a VFL replay during the week may not be sufficient demand to justify the man hours, equipment, production labour and everything else involved.

So when someone inside the club blames a lack of resources or man-power for the lack of that streaming service, it's probably smarter to look at priorities and how existing media budgets are spent, rather than naively blame the Netball or AFLW division that have nothing to do with it.

But, to each their own.

You keep conflating a legitimate complaint about the service provided to paying members of a football club in regards to the ability to watch football with some drivel about keeping "uppity" netballers down. I'll request that you work through your issues with women's emancipation on your own and stop projecting on me.

As for a "well run" board. Looks like you stopped reading the newspaper around the time you purchased your first membership. Give my regards to Gubby and Malthouse.

and It's not like they are Pumping out Content and Long Video's EveryDay.

Sounds like a Cop Out that they can't be Stuffed doing it or Spending the Extra few $$$$ to make Fans Happy

So when someone inside the club blames a lack of resources or man-power for the lack of that streaming service, it's probably smarter to look at priorities and how existing media budgets are spent, rather than naively blame the Netball or AFLW division that have nothing to do with it.

But, to each their own.

What percentage of members voted to establish the netball team? I'd like the specific number thanks given that interest levels are so crucial

Last edited:
You keep conflating a legitimate complaint about the service provided to paying members of a football club in regards to the ability to watch football with some drivel about keeping "uppity" netballers down. I'll request that you work through your issues with women's emancipation on your own and stop projecting on me.

As for a "well run" board. Looks like you stopped reading the newspaper around the time you purchased your first membership. Give my regards to Gubby and Malthouse.

This is a masterclass in idiocy.

I was using sarcasm mate.

Some helpful advice: After creating an imaginary link between lack of VFL coverage and the netball team, I think you should be more judicial with your use of the word 'conflating'.

Good luck with the rest of your week :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and It's not like they are Pumping out Content and Long Video's EveryDay.

Sounds like a Cop Out that they can't be Stuffed doing it or Spending the Extra few $$$$ to make Fans Happy

I would imagine the bulk of their work would be in house videos for match review sessions and/or opposition analysis.

That being said it can't be too hard to upload the footage. Even without commentary would suffice.

I would imagine the bulk of their work would be in house videos for match review sessions and/or opposition analysis.

That being said it can't be too hard to upload the footage. Even without commentary would suffice.

That's all we are asking for.

Yeah!

Exactly

Well I know the Club does have Video of the Game as they can use it for Coaches and Players.

But they can't put it up on say YouTube for Fans to Watch.

Some helpful advice: After creating an imaginary link between lack of VFL coverage and the netball team, I think you should be more judicial with your use of the word 'conflating'.

What's imaginary about it?

If the argument against streaming VFL games is due to the cost, then it's logical to look at what other costs the club is carrying and questioning the spending priorities.

That is particularly true when the league and the clubs are carrying the costs of running the netball and women's football clubs, who by the way are starting to get noisy about not being paid as much as the blokes despite the fact that their competitions don't earn enough revenue to exist as professional sports in their own right.

I've no problem with women playing netball or football, but don't whinge about inequality when you basically on welfare

What's imaginary about it?

If the argument against streaming VFL games is due to the cost, then it's logical to look at what other costs the club is carrying and questioning the spending priorities.

That is particularly true when the league and the clubs are carrying the costs of running the netball and women's football clubs, who by the way are starting to get noisy about not being paid as much as the blokes despite the fact that their competitions don't earn enough revenue to exist as professional sports in their own right.

I've no problem with women playing netball or football, but don't whinge about inequality when you basically on welfare

fml

Do we know what clubs telecast their VFL matches even if it's only the home games?

Richmond do don't they?

If true then no wonder the premiership has gained them 90,000+ members because it's a small example of how they managed to keep a large fan base during decades of non success and even if only 1,000 hardcore supporters watched it live every week the goodwill gained eventually paid off in dollars I'm sure when the good times came.

I don't care about commentary just give us the same setup we saw against Carlton.

Resourcing = money

What a crock, happy for you to post proof.

Aren't there separate VFL memberships? Doesn't the senior memberships just give you privileges?

What a pisstake from the most "resourced" club in the land. No wonder membership numbers are dropping when they spend more money elsewhere trying to expand their brand when the main core of Collingwood is and always will be Mens footy.

Not everyone lives in Victoria, broadcasting the VFL they did with a paid cameraman and a commentator like they did two years ago is all that's needed and wouldn't stress the budget of a club that...models itself on Man U.

Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have had a brief chat with out digital content producers, and it seems that simple answer comes down to resourcing.

There is some scope for radio broadcasts to return for away games, but this is still being worked out on the back end.

In summary, each decision made in relation to VFL coverage relies heavily upon internal resourcing and external feedback. Your comments are certainly valuable, and I can assure you that it's taken on board.

Both staff members I spoke to are very passionate about the VFL, and they wish they could do more, but unfortunately their time is being devoted to other initiatives at the present time.

If you have any further questions feel free to call us on 1300 MAGPIE (62 47 43), or simply reply to this email.

Kind regards,

Josh
Sales & Acquisitions Coordinator
Collingwood Football Club

Well how about you go to every game, chuck your phone on Facebook Live and you live stream the games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back