VFL coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

High comedy just keep pushing that agenda.

What agenda do you think that is?

I haven't watched a netball game in my life.

I'm lucky to see one or two AFLW games in a season.

I'm here for the same reason you are. I love football and shooting the s**t about football.

My agenda is with logic. I support the club's push to be an innovator in professional women's sport. I have sisters. I used to have a mum. I have a girlfriend. I have female relatives that love playing sport. I love the women in my life. It's crazy, almost half the population is female and I think it's awesome that they can dream about playing professionally now, the same way you and I can/could.

I want a VFL stream too. I loved watching on the weekend.

But, because the club claims it doesnt have the budget or man power to make that work, I've found it comical that some people think that it's establishment of an AFLW or netball team is the reason behind that, without knowing SFA about the budgets, the profit margins or any actual, tangible ******* evidence to support what you're saying.

Club not doing that thing you want? Must be because of the netball team or AFLW team. Why the hell are we supporting a professional female sports team when we could be streaming a second tier men's comp?

What's even funnier is that because I'm not sharing in your illogical bullshit, you think I must have an agenda.

Ohhh yeah, I'm actually Darcy Vescio, commenting on a Collingwood BigFooty forum. You got me.

My agenda is with logic. I support the club's push to be an innovator in professional women's sport. I have sisters. I used to have a mum. I have a girlfriend. I have female relatives that love playing sport. I love the women in my life. It's crazy, almost half the population is female and I think it's awesome that they can dream about playing professionally now, the same way you and I can/could.

What's even funnier is that because I'm not sharing in your illogical bullshit, you think I must have an agenda.

He's a white knight, I knew it.

I'm lucky to see one or two AFLW games in a season.

I'm here for the same reason you are. I love football and shooting the s**t about football.

I want a VFL stream too. I loved watching on the weekend.

But, because the club claims it doesnt have the budget or man power to make that work, I've found it comical that some people think that it's establishment of an AFLW or netball team is the reason behind that, without knowing SFA about the budgets, the profit margins or any actual, tangible ******* evidence to support what you're saying.

Club not doing that thing you want? Must be because of the netball team or AFLW team. Why the hell are we supporting a professional female sports team when we could be streaming a second tier men's comp?

Ohhh yeah, I'm actually Darcy Vescio, commenting on a Collingwood BigFooty forum. You got me.

I rate you Darcy

Whys it so hard for you guys to think long term? ;)
The afl is looking pretty long term on being more inclusive. Increased female interest in afl etc.
Translating to more $$ ...down the track.
Personally im not interested but see the big picture.

Anyway, it shouldn't get in the way of the work experience kid uploading the weekends vfl game.
And thats what the thread is about.

There's a lot of money spent now on the 'promise' of more money coming in 'off in the never never' with no business case or actual timelines, and it's time we started calling bull on it.

As for the work experience kid uploading the game - great. Anyone watching a VFL replay isn't going to be concerned by the polish of the product. Even if it's just a video with no commentary, just chuck some music on while watching it and relax

Point 1: "I personally have zero interest in the netball" - that's sort of the point a few of us are trying to make -

I’m someone who thinks the netball was a good idea ...

... but I’m not arguing with you here. It’s important that members do voice their concerns when they reckon a decision by the club is a misadventure. The club have had a few of them in the past (the Soccer club, Magpieland are a few that come to mind)

I have been to a Collingwood netball game. I’ve seen first hand the large amount of support the game gets.

TBH, I wouldn’t regularly attend games myself - I don’t really fit the demographic (i’ve only got the one X chromosome), but if I had daughters I’d happily take them along. The game is fast, the athletes are skilful, it’s a good contest ... up there with ice hockey on my scale of entertaining sporting events.

Pro tip: if you do go, take heavy duty ear plugs with you, being in an enclosed stadium of 2000 teenage girls screaming at the top of their lungs is pretty hard on the ears.

... why would the football club spend money on a netball team a large percentage of the members have zero interest in rather than improving member services?

To increase the membership and appeal?

Was the creation of the netball team put to a vote at the AGM? Did the yes vote win? What were the voting totals?

No, it wasn’t put to a vote at the AGM (neither was our AFLW participation for that matter).

In a way, that’s a shame. I reckon both SNL and AFLW are great for the club but they’ve both copped a fair bit of flack along the way. I think things would have been better for both teams if they had the explicit support of the members. The board obviously either thought they didn’t need it / wouldn’t get it.

Point 2: "It will grow and eventually generate its own income stream" - Wanna bet? When does the club project that it will generate its own "income stream"? Have we got a target date on that?

It already is generating its own income stream. SNL has a broadcast agreement where all games are shown live - that generates revenue for the clubs. Games do get gate takings which generate revenue. They sell merchandise. It’s not as big as AFL but it still would be pretty decent. And expenses would be a lot less.

Last edited:
You should care. It's stopping the club from spending money on services that you will actually use.

In a broad sense (not having a personal dig at you specifically), why is it so hard for you guys to comprehend that?

For me, it’s about the bigger picture.

As much as I’d love the club to broadcast VFL games (and I reckon it’s absurd that the club can’t figure out a way to justify it and make happen) ...

... if I had a choice between

(1) My club broadcasting VFL games for me to watch, or

(2) The club being more inclusive and fielding women’s teams. And in the case of netball, fielding a team that features elite professional athletes who compete internationally. It gives girls something to aspire to under the Collingwood umbrella. It broadens the appeal of Collingwood. It wouldn’t do any harm at all to the culture around the Holden Centre.

I reckon it’s a no-brainer. I’d pick (2) every day of the week and twice in Sundays. Whilst I might not directly benefit from the policy, it makes me much more proud to be a member of this club.

You should care. It's stopping the club from spending money on services that you will actually use.

In a broad sense (not having a personal dig at you specifically), why is it so hard for you guys to comprehend that?

SNL has a much better chance of paying its way than VFL. The broadcast, attendance, merchandise would all be bigger, a lot bigger.

Eventhough some Collingwood AFL members do follow VFL and consider that their dues should go towards supporting VFL member engagement, it’s worth remembering that the vast vast vast majority of Collingwood’s AFL supporters have zero interest in following the VFL team and would just as happily have them play behind closed doors.

Last edited:
For me, it’s about the bigger picture.

As much as I’d love the club to broadcast VFL games (and I reckon it’s absurd that the club can’t figure out a way to justify it and make happen) ...

... if I had a choice between

(1) My club broadcasting VFL games for me to watch, or

(2) The club being more inclusive and fielding women’s teams. And in the case of netball, fielding a team that features elite professional athletes who compete internationally. It gives girls something to aspire to under the Collingwood umbrella. It broadens the appeal of Collingwood. It wouldn’t do any harm at all to the culture around the Holden Centre.

I reckon it’s a no-brainer. I’d pick (2) every day of the week and twice in Sundays. Whilst it might not directly benefit from the policy, it makes me much more proud to be a member of this club.

SNL has a much better chance of paying its way than VFL. The broadcast, attendance, merchandise would all be bigger, a lot bigger.

Eventhough some Collingwood AFL members do follow VFL and consider that their dues should go towards supporting VFL member engagement, it’s worth remembering that the vast vast vast majority of Collingwood’s AFL supporters have zero interest in following the VFL team and would just as happily have them play behind closed doors.

We should able to do both

Well how about you go to every game, chuck your phone on Facebook Live and you live stream the games?
I could say the same to you. If I could get to the games I would but unfortunately I can’t. So instead of using that lame excuse of “why don’t you do it” How about you message the club and help get a change.
It’s like these morons who tell you if you think you can do better you do it

Well how about you go to every game, chuck your phone on Facebook Live and you live stream the games?

Well everyone just can't Go to Games for Many Reasons.

Here are a Few:

• Don't Live near Melbourne
  • Work
  • Family

There are a Few Others and They deserved to be able to watch the VFL Games and not Be Punished because they can't

I could say the same to you. If I could get to the games I would but unfortunately I can’t. So instead of using that lame excuse of “why don’t you do it” How about you message the club and help get a change.
It’s like these morons who tell you if you think you can do better you do it

Club might love someone to Volunteer to do it for them

Club might love someone to Volunteer to do it for them
Spot on, I’m sure the club has links to universities. Many media students would love to get experience doing a vfl game. I don’t think anyone would really care if it was a bit ordinary as long as we have it. Plus we are helping the students with course credit.

Spot on, I’m sure the club has links to universities. Many media students would love to get experience doing a vfl game. I don’t think anyone would really care if it was a bit ordinary as long as we have it. Plus we are helping the students with course credit.

Agree. People said they where happy with what Blues and Essendon do.

That just look they where taken with a Home Grade Video Camera in a Good Vantage Spot so we can see all the game. Don't need Commentators(Nice but Not Thing we have to have.) I guess club to put a Little Scoreboard on it too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno about the “bit ordinary” part - I reckon Uni / TAFE students would do a pretty decent job of it and likely give it the best chance of success.

25035783358_b9bea39377_b.jpg

Something like what they are doing there in the Window be good enough

Essendon's VFLW coverage appears the equal (if not better) than our men's VFL coverage. Meanwhile we're lucky to get a tweet about our VFLW side. Some other clubs are equally as poor as us in respect to their VFLW coverage.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/teams/vflw

If staff resourcing is what's limiting the club this is a fantastic solution. Opportunities like this are something ambitious students would jump at. It can be a critical bit of experience to help get employment. Hell we could even look to be innovative and offer viewing options for viewers that you don't get on free to air - like a full field option so you can see the strategy. I'm probably getting carried away but I love your solution Aussie pie

What else do we spend our money on these days, footy caps mean we are restricted...I would have thought we’d have enough to expand the media team at least.

In any case I would much rather have live coverage of a VFl game than the 60 second wrap ups and the crappy lulie st show. And definitely more than sports galore and the other nonsense

Is the media spend excluded from the FD spend?

Sounds like just about everyone is in agreement:
  • We want more VFL coverage
  • Club could be doing better at providing that
And the club have addressed those points in the OP. I don't see discussion around AFLW/Netball/VFLW as relevant or constructive.

If staff resourcing is what's limiting the club this is a fantastic solution. Opportunities like this are something ambitious students would jump at. It can be a critical bit of experience to help get employment. Hell we could even look to be innovative and offer viewing options for viewers that you don't get on free to air - like a full field option so you can see the strategy. I'm probably getting carried away but I love your solution Aussie pie

If staffing etc is a problem, I’m a qualified teacher. If students were to come in and film I’d be happy to supervise when I can get to the games.
All the club has to do is ask and there would be dozens of volunteers happy to get the coverage going. Looks great on a C.V and who knows what it leads to.

So any Collingwood officials monitoring this board and thread, just ask there are people out there willing to help.

I have been bugging the club re the lack of coverage of the VFL and finally received a reply, not a good one but not surprising either. Here is their reply.

Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have had a brief chat with out digital content producers, and it seems that simple answer comes down to resourcing.

Live-streaming is an incredibly taxing project to undertake, and at this time the feedback seems to be that those resources - staff and otherwise - are better spent on some of the other content pieces we produce aroun VFL that other clubs don't, such as the 60-second wrap immediately post-game, or the dedicated weekly show.

There is some scope for radio broadcasts to return for away games, but this is still being worked out on the back end.

In summary, each decision made in relation to VFL coverage relies heavily upon internal resourcing and external feedback. Your comments are certainly valuable, and I can assure you that it's taken on board.

Both staff members I spoke to are very passionate about the VFL, and they wish they could do more, but unfortunately their time is being devoted to other initiatives at the present time.

If you have any further questions feel free to call us on 1300 MAGPIE (62 47 43), or simply reply to this email.

Kind regards,

Josh
Sales & Acquisitions Coordinator
Collingwood Football Club

To the VFL heads here I have gone to the Cats board to ask about their VFL coverage.

It seems we are not Robinson Crusoe in regards to the "lack" of coverage and content. (terry_bright)
A Cats supporter from L.A (dazbroncos) came up with a really good idea I thought.
Add an extra $5.00 to your membership to cover all costs to provide a replay on Monday after the weekends game.

I don't think we are asking too much but it sounds to me like their is more to this.

Is the issue with the AFL not allowing it?? It doesn't sound like that according to the reply from our Club above.

Seems to me we're dropping the ball on this one.

I would have loved to watch Daicos, Sier, Fasolo, McClarty, Wellings .....etc last night rather than Robbo's head and dribble coming out of his mouth.

To the mods 76woodenspooners Magpie Girl Anzacday Jasper84 any chance you can ask the Chief to find out a bit more about this from other Clubs or even the AFL.

I am one of the lucky ones who can go to the VFL and watch it live......what about all our interstate or O S supporters that can't.

Anyway I just thought I would share and put it out there.

Cheers CFC2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back