budget

Team Captain
Apr 7, 2008
port pirie
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
cricket,
I’m really dismayed at the possibility of the VFL once again wanting to change the drafting rules which appears directly to affect us yet again.
So many times this has happened, can we expect a response from the club?
It was bad enough when we bottomed out for the first time and got it up the clacker in regards to Noah Anderson.
This stuff has been happening far too much,is there anyway we can protest this,just demonstrating our anger is at least something.We have been copping this treatment since 1991,surely if this proposal eventuates it’s time to take a stand.
I partially remember ( need some help on this one )many years ago a situation involving Carlton I think about draft order and penalties that once again short changed us yet again .
Surely they can’t do this again when we have a chance at a good young mid fielder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What is the proposed changes?
Making Ryley Sanders firstly eligible to be taken as a NGA Academy product and then only available to the Kangas (Priority pick after their 1st pick) i.e. enabling them to take the 2 potential elite talents Tassie lads Colby McKercher and Ryley Sanders at pick 2 & 3, mirroring the GCS/AFL Rowell/Anderson reach around.

It’s not like NM don’t already have a shopping list of elite talent in the midfield anyway.

The fact that club can’t get its s**t together ala GCS should not have the direct impact that it does in clubs like us.

The AFL should give them a $1m per annum five year salary cap concession to throw at an elite player or two from elsewhere.

Making Ryley Sanders firstly eligible to be taken as a NGA Academy product and then only available to the Kangas (Priority pick after their 1st pick) i.e. enabling them to take the 2 potential elite talents Tassie lads Colby McKercher and Ryley Sanders at pick 2 & 3, mirroring the GCS/AFL Rowell/Anderson reach around.
Guess it’s our fault for hiring decent operators off field.

It’s rewarding incompetence FFS !!

Makes you wonder if in a few years NM will be like GWS bleeding midfielders for draft picks

Don't forget North are also rumoured to be getting pick 3 for ben mckay. So 2 free top 5 picks. But hey Brad crouch is only worth pick 20

I see. Yeah, that stinks.

Here is part of the article that is relevant

FREE HITS

Depending on who you ask, there is a view the league will give pick three to North Melbourne as Ben McKay free agency compensation regardless of his salary at his new club.

The AFL does not reveal the benchmarks required to tick-off, but players in the past have been paid about $800,000 a year (think Joe Daniher) to trigger band one compensation which is a pick immediately after the club’s first draft selection.

If McKay’s new club, such as Essendon, only pays McKay $650,000, it would normally trigger end-of-first-round compensation along with other moves in recent years.

Brad Crouch’s move to St Kilda netted Adelaide second-round compensation (pick 23).

But recruiters are fearful North’s compensation could be upgraded to band one (pick three) even if McKay’s new salary doesn’t hit the $800,000 threshold as part of an open-house draft assistance leg-up.

The upgraded compensation has merit for a club which has been down the bottom for six years, but the free kick would still drive others mad.

Rivals are already howling over North’s bid to secure Larke Medalist Ryley Sanders as part of the league’s controversial NGA concessions.

And imagine if North received both; Sanders as a pre-draft selection free-hit and pick three (for McKay) as free agency compensation.

Sanders is a top-six pick on many recruiters’ whiteboards after an outstanding national championships averaging 36 possessions a game.

The star midfielder has Indigenous heritage, and may qualify for the Roos’ academy as part of late application.

Under AFL rules, North could not match a bid for him in the first 40 selections, meaning he would go elsewhere unless the Roos call his name out first.

But there are suggestions the AFL rule may be overridden – guaranteeing Sanders’ safe passage to Arden St – as part of the draft assistance package.

From a list build perspective, landing Sanders for free would be quite a gift.

But if North land pick three as well as Sanders as part of the next round of draft assistance there may well be a riot in list managers’ officers around the competition.

Maybe it has to be or the other.

It’s not like NM don’t already have a shopping list of elite talent in the midfield anyway.

The fact that club can’t get its s**t together ala GCS should not have the direct impact that it does in clubs like us.

The AFL should give them a $1m per annum five year salary cap concession to throw at an elite player or two from elsewhere.
Exactly

Their midfield looks pretty dynamite on paper for now and future already

Hopeless key position outside of Larkey and occasional McKay when he’s not injured or being lazy

I can actually see North not taking Mckercher if they get NGA access to Sanders and going Watson , Curtin or Duursma

They don’t need 10 mids when rest of the ground is struggling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can actually see North not taking Mckercher if they get NGA access to Sanders and going Watson , Curtin or Duursma

They don’t need 10 mids when rest of the ground is struggling
Not if it's an AFL directive like it was with Rowell/Anderson?

It seems every time we line up to get a shot at a decent mid with an early pick, something gets in the way....

If the roos get both a priority pick and Sanders then it will be a complete farce and further drive a wedge between an already divided comp.

You should reap what you sow. If you are crap for a long period tough ****. It seems the worse you are, the more prizes you get.

Wouldn't they still need draft collateral to pay for Sanders is if he went at pick 6? Or are the AFL saying he would be an automatic list addition pre draft with no need to go in the draft?

So they would get if McKay left and the get band 1

Picks 2 and 3 plus Sanders??

That's ******* outrageous

Wouldn't they still need draft collateral to pay for Sanders is if he went at pick 6? Or are the AFL saying he would be an automatic list addition pre draft with no need to go in the draft?

So they would get if McKay left and the get band 1

Picks 2 and 3 plus Sanders??

That's ******* outrageous
The former is my understanding, available only to the Roos.

The AFL will always see us as big enough to bounce back from obscurity on our own, and probably consider the fact that the SA and WA talents can attract 'go home' players whereas North Melbourne can't really attract elite Victorian talent looking to come home.

Completely discounts the amount of players we lose going the other way though.

I thought only father sons are available in the first round. Academy players aren’t eligible until third round, the Keeler rule.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The only real way of to blackmail the AFL, tell them that we will go all out attack on it and the comp in the media. Completely question all the shot decisions made and why Adelaide is always at the end of the stick.
It’s time to take them on, Collingwood wouldn’t care about the AFL and just attack it for unfair workplace.
We have played nice since we started and been bent over, time to attack the AFL. It can’t get any worse

Unfortunately we will just sit and take it like we usually do.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I made a list on the main board about this. Since 2019 we have been trying to rebuild and pick elite talent.

The following have been taken from the draft pool before we could pick them.

Crows pick 3: #2 Noah Anderson (especially annoying because we probably would've been able to draft him)
Crows pick 1: #1 JUH (and we definitely wanted him)
Crows pick 4: #2 Sam Darcy
Crows pick 5 (pushed down by Darcy): #4 Nick Daicos (we had pick 4 and he was the 4th player picked...)
(No crows pick, we traded #5 for Rankine) #2 Will Ashcroft

and as it turned out (Crows pick 4) #1 JHF was behaving like a F/S pick as well.

So in the time we have had top picks, 4 elite midfielders have basically eliminated themselves from the draft pool. Imagine if we could've got Anderson (sorry Pedlar) and 1 of JHF or Daicos.

I made a list on the main board about this. Since 2019 we have been trying to rebuild and pick elite talent.

The following have been taken from the draft pool before we could pick them.

Crows pick 3: #2 Noah Anderson (especially annoying because we probably would've been able to draft him)
Crows pick 1: #1 JUH (and we definitely wanted him)
Crows pick 4: #2 Sam Darcy
Crows pick 5 (pushed down by Darcy): #4 Nick Daicos (we had pick 4 and he was the 4th player picked...)
(No crows pick, we traded #5 for Rankine) #2 Will Ashcroft

and as it turned out (Crows pick 4) #1 JHF was behaving like a F/S pick as well.

So in the time we have had top picks, 4 elite midfielders have basically eliminated themselves from the draft pool. Imagine if we could've got Anderson (sorry Pedlar) and 1 of JHF or Daicos.

How were we getting Daicos again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back