2nds VFL: Essendon Vs Richmond - 2:10 pm Saturday July 1st @ Windy Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we shouldn't of delisted the player that ripped up the VFL multiple times last year.

I know McBean wasn't perfect but surely everyone can agree the way we handled him was subpar and he really deserved to go another year unlike Elton. At least one consistently performed at VFL level.

Miles is only 25 mate. Bit of a stretch not saying he can't be part of our future. Having a player of his quality in the reserves hurts me a little for some reason despite the wins. He is doing everything right at the moment. Would love to see him get a crack at it. We could give Prestia/Caddy a rest.

Understand that he is 25 and my comment regarding being part of the future and as I alluded to in my post, was in reference to our game style.

Maybe we shouldn't of delisted the player that ripped up the VFL multiple times last year.

I know McBean wasn't perfect but surely everyone can agree the way we handled him was subpar and he really deserved to go another year unlike Elton. At least one consistently performed at VFL level.

If he deserved another chance and he was as badly handled as you suggest why didn't 17 other AFL sides give him that chance?

I think the club got that one pretty right.

Makes perfect sense actually buddy. Miles was excellent at vfl level, doesn't change the fact he is still slow. Being slow at vfl level is a non issue. However at afl level it can cost you. Again pretty simple explanation why he isn't in the side. Fairly slow, pure inside mid with little versatility. Will be perfect if we cop an injury. Until then.

So what you are saying is our side is f****. We have Miles who is too slow for the game plan, CEllis who is too slow for the game plan, Lennon too slow for the game plan, Morris, Hunt, Batchelor, Elton, Broad all not up to it, Maric cooked.
Under your theory, Vlastuin - who is as quick or slow as Miles - is the only bloke capable of stepping into the side. I hope we don't get an injury.

Miles is only 25 mate. Bit of a stretch not saying he can't be part of our future. Having a player of his quality in the reserves hurts me a little for some reason despite the wins. He is doing everything right at the moment. Would love to see him get a crack at it. We could give Prestia/Caddy a rest.

Miles' pace would not be an issue in a team that has an abundance of pace. The over-reaction here is amazing .... a guy who isn't an out and out sprinter can't thrive in our game plan. What a croc. Caddy and Vlas are just as slow. yet Miles is the only player whose pace is an issue.

He plays as an extra midfielder.
I believe we have one small forward too many and Castagna would go (and I think you could easily give Miles Edwards' time in the middle).
I'd play him ahead of Markov.
I'd play him ahead of Rioli, who offered nothing on Saturday night outside one goal.
You can always find room for a good midfielder. You won't agree - and we know we'd never do it - but like Choco last week, I would play Miles ahead of both Prestia and Caddy.
I'd argue that on Saturday night Riolis defensive pressure was crucial. He worries them into stupid mistakes constantly.
Like I say I love Miles but that game in particular Saturday night he would have been a fish out of water the way the players were running from one end to the other all night. We broke them because we have a ridiculous capacity for running, and quickly. He just doesn't fit the mould and it stood out like a sore toe in the games he played.
Don't get me wrong he still has his great attributes but the way we play, and really have to play with no talls up there is just killing him.

So what you are saying is our side is f****. We have Miles who is too slow for the game plan, CEllis who is too slow for the game plan, Lennon too slow for the game plan, Morris, Hunt, Batchelor, Elton, Broad all not up to it, Maric cooked.
Under your theory, Vlastuin - who is as quick or slow as Miles - is the only bloke capable of stepping into the side. I hope we don't get an injury.
You say some really odd things. Vlastuin is faster then miles no question about it. Vlastuin is also a back who may eventually go in to the middle. Corey Ellis while slow is a elite kick but probably won't play this year. Lennon is a forward and will likely get a opportunity at some stage. None of these players even remotely are similar players to miles or play similar positions. Our team is 4th and your melting all because miles isn't getting a game. Be happy for once

I tend to agree with your point but I think his attitude must of sucked or he was just plain lazy to not have got another shot. He always struck me as a guy who didn't really care enough to play at the highest level and was happy with whatever life threw at him.

You say some really odd things. Vlastuin is faster then miles no question about it. Vlastuin is also a back who may eventually go in to the middle. Corey Ellis while slow is a elite kick but probably won't play this year. Lennon is a forward and will likely get a opportunity at some stage. None of these players even remotely are similar players to miles or play similar positions. Our team is 4th and your melting all because miles isn't getting a game. Be happy for once

CEllis is an elite kick who gets it 10 times a weekend.
How is Vlastuin not similar to Miles? Our club has made him our gun midfielder hasn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds similar to Lennon

Lennon has turned to corner IMO, he used to think VFL was beneath him, now I think he reckons he is too good for it and it's showing in his domination and effort.

I would take out 1 of the small forwards. There are too many of them IMO.

We have 5 in the side (4 young ones plus Lloyd). I think 3 young ones and just rotate them all around and I don't think we lose anything out of that. I think they can all do with the odd break too.

Id drop Lloyd. He is decent but is 27 and is a below average AFL player. Id be giving Lennon 4 games to show his worth as I don't think we'd lose much, well after he comes back and shows he is still dominating VFL.

Also Miles is much slower than Vlastuin and Caddy, he also struggles to spread enough and lacks their versatility.

I'm holding the Ivan banner
2itsd8w.png

Miles' pace would not be an issue in a team that has an abundance of pace. The over-reaction here is amazing .... a guy who isn't an out and out sprinter can't thrive in our game plan. What a croc. Caddy and Vlas are just as slow. yet Miles is the only player whose pace is an issue.
Caddy and vlas can compete in the air which is in scarce supply right now , I feel for milesy lambert has gone from strength to strength and firmed his spot in the side. perhaps you could make a case for him as a small forward. I just think that the coaching panel see the smalls as a collective and they're maintaining the rage in terms of pressure and that produces scoring ops . The only change I'd make is intro Garth to the side to see how he goes , if he can get to the level he offers the side some flexibility either going back or forward

I remember his draft report in his draft year, huge on intercept marks, and marking generally really good. I assume Bombers thought they had the next McGovern Liam jones in their hands. I reckon he's 50/50 to make it, third tall either up forward or back is where he will be from the few AFL games i watched him play
EFA.

I agree with what you said bout pace but caddy can also play in the forward line plays tall exceptional overhead....
Vlastuin hard nosed defender and very good by foot, makes the right decisions.

I like Miles want him in too but wrong comparisons to make with caddy and vlastuin...

Last edited:
I wonder if the ones who want to bring in Miles and drop Caddy are the same ones that were crying out for a big bodied mid.

Caddy has been a fine acquisition as has Prestia for that matter.

Selectors have got it spot on this year. 9 wins so far and 4th on the ladder is proof of that.

Miles is too small and average paced. Too good for VFL but mid to bottom tier in our best 22. Since he has become a depth player (like Hunt, Batchelor, Morris etc, etc) both squads have benefited. The kids are winning at VFL level, and Hardwick and co are doing exactly what everyone has screamed out for two years to do. Play the kids in the ones and improve our midfield.
But no, now average players like Miles are the second coming of Christ. ******* spare me. You campaigners can't clog up thread upon thread for years bitching about Hardwick playing his favourites to now not giving guys like Miles a go. You can't have it both ways. Just * off with your nonsense.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power

Miles is too small and average paced. Too good for VFL but mid to bottom tier in our best 22. Since he has become a depth player (like Hunt, Batchelor, Morris etc, etc) both squads have benefited. The kids are winning at VFL level, and Hardwick and co are doing exactly what everyone has screamed out for two years to do. Play the kids in the ones and improve our midfield.
But no, now average players like Miles are the second coming of Christ. ******* spare me. You campaigners can't clog up thread upon thread for years bitching about Hardwick playing his favourites to now not giving guys like Miles a go. You can't have it both ways. Just **** off with your nonsense.

giphy.gif

But no, now average players like Miles are the second coming of Christ. ******* spare me. You campaigners can't clog up thread upon thread for years bitching about Hardwick playing his favourites to now not giving guys like Miles a go. You can't have it both ways. Just **** off with your nonsense.

Dropping some knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropping some knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yet you apply the same logic in being the president, secretary, treasurer and #1 ticket holder of the Ben Lennon fanc club, telling us hoew he must be played and is hard done by.
FFS ... Miles looks like Tendulkar in terms of runs on the board compared to Lennon, who's the district cricket fourth s equivalent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back