VFL VFL finals 2016 - who's eligible in OP (discussion to qualifying final thread please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always, Shane Barrie is across these things better than anyone...

So, we stump up for the project, then we get locked out of playing there when we have earned the right to play a final there?

The absolute cheek of this lot. :mad:

So, we stump up for the project, then we get locked out of playing there when we have earned the right to play a final there?

I disagree with some of what Shane says, including his $$$ figures, and I've had this conversation with him before. CFC only paid for the works to the Social Club building, and nothing else as far as I'm aware. Anyway, I don't want to reopen this debate.

I think the main issue is the lack of fencing. I can't explain why it wasn't a hindrance when we last played an VFL final at VP, but the ability to secure the ground, and charge for entry is an issue. Temporary fencing is expensive. When the club left in 2003/4, they had no plans to play there again, hence the existing fence/boundary wall was partially demolished (with Heritage Victoria approval). If it was known then that we would return to play VFL, a different approach might have ensued. The residents also demanded the walls be pulled down.

The argument about lack of seating is a nonsense. We have fabulous seating at VP, and more than enough to cover a final.

I disagree with some of what Shane says, including his $$$ figures, and I've had this conversation with him before. CFC only paid for the works to the Social Club building, and nothing else as far as I'm aware. Anyway, I don't want to reopen this debate.

I think the main issue is the lack of fencing. I can't explain why it wasn't a hindrance when we last played an VFL final at VP, but the ability to secure the ground, and charge for entry is an issue. Temporary fencing is expensive. When the club left in 2003/4, they had no plans to play there again, hence the existing fence/boundary wall was partially demolished (with Heritage Victoria approval). If it was known then that we would return to play VFL, a different approach might have ensued. The residents also demanded the walls be pulled down.

The argument about lack of seating is a nonsense. We have fabulous seating at VP, and more than enough to cover a final.

No need for it. AFL Victoria would be paid an approximate gate as compensation, as happened last time to my knowledge...

So, the councillor is saying he's never been asked and putting it on the club/VFL. How then would he know what the issues are? I'm guessing the real issue here is a change of councillors and/or voting shifts (council and/or public) since 2014.

One would think one object of the council is to bring money into the local economy, I'm sure the bars, cafes etc near the ground would get more revenue on Vic Park match days.

I think the Council does not want Collingwood at Vic Park

That is why I think Collingwood will just tell the Council to Stick it up there Ass.

And Move all Home Games to Holden Center

What an utterly disgusting decision from Yarra Council - and the nerve of the councillor to then try putting it back on VFL/Pies.

Shows what Flogs they are and they are NOT Collingwood Supporters

Yarra Council have responded to some fans on Twitter...

Again, these conditions existed two years ago and everything seemed fine then. There was no gate charged, no temporary fencing, AFL Victoria got paid some compensation, the ground hosted a final in front of the biggest crowd I've seen at Vic Park for a VFL game and everything went off without a hitch (except for the result!)

Useless.

Again, these conditions existed two years ago and everything seemed fine then. There was no gate charged, no temporary fencing, AFL Victoria got paid some compensation, the ground hosted a final in front of the biggest crowd I've seen at Vic Park for a VFL game and everything went off without a hitch (except for the result!)

Useless.
Fencing and VFL profits aren't a concern of the council. For them it's all about the permit, which would encompass any concerns around parking and traffic conditions. In other words the locals won't be happy with the traffic, so they won't be issuing a permit. Timing is everything and councillors wouldn't want unhappy locals with an election coming up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fencing and VFL profits aren't a concern of the council. For them it's all about the permit, which would encamps any concerns around parking and traffic conditions. In other words the locals won't be happy with the traffic, so they won't be issuing a permit. Timing is everything and councillors wouldn't want unhappy locals with an election coming up.

s-a488db2e85be0192213b95d57fba233e36c10378.gif

I think the Council does not want Collingwood at Vic Park

TD, Collingwood walked away from Vic Park, and a few years later came knocking on Council's door, asking to come back and play VFL games. CFC was the initiator of the move away from VP. We were not forced to leave. We could and should have handled it differently.

Useless.

Yarra Council is showing what a Joke they are.

Get Someone like Current Affair on them so Publicly show them up

Fencing and VFL profits aren't a concern of the council. For them it's all about the permit, which would encompass any concerns around parking and traffic conditions. In other words the locals won't be happy with the traffic, so they won't be issuing a permit. Timing is everything and councillors wouldn't want unhappy locals with an election coming up.

They would love to take the Permit Way from Collingwood

TD, Collingwood walked away from Vic Park, and a few years later came knocking on Council's door, asking to come back and play VFL games. CFC was the initiator of the move away from VP. We were not forced to leave. We could and should have handled it differently.

I been told the reason we Walked away from Vic Park is because the Council never allowed us to improve Vic Park or do anything with it

I been told the reason we Walked away from Vic Park is because the Council never allowed us to improve Vic Park or do anything with it

Not true TD. We had control over the reserved area (Sherrin, Social Club and Ryder stands) while Council had control over the outer area (Rush Stand and hill at the eastern end). We spent years and lots of money improving the reserve area, but we stopped in the 1980s-90s. I completely understand why the club decided to leave, as there were other issues, including the changing demographics of inner Melbourne, and more affluent residents and rate payers of Collingwood and Abbotsford. They didnt want the club, or the traffic, or the fans for that matter. Its a complex issue, but the Council is not solely to blame for all these ills.

Not true TD. We had control over the reserved area (Sherrin, Social Club and Ryder stands) while Council had control over the outer area (Rush Stand and hill at the eastern end). We spent years and lots of money improving the reserve area, but we stopped in the 1980s-90s. I completely understand why the club decided to leave, as there were other issues, including the changing demographics of inner Melbourne, and more affluent residents and rate payers of Collingwood and Abbotsford. They didnt want the club, or the traffic, or the fans for that matter. Its a complex issue, but the Council is not solely to blame for all these ills.

So I guess the Club would AGAIN be more then Happy to Leave Vic Park for Holden Center then

Is it correct that Cox will be 1 VFL game short of playing finals?
Surely we appeal and make the case that he only missed a game because we were helping promote the AFL by having him accompany the US vice president to a match.
Yep, if he plays VFL this week he'll fall one match short. Pity we couldn't get an extra game in during the 3 week block he missed via a rest, meeting the VP and a VFL bye.

Is it correct that Cox will be 1 VFL game short of playing finals?
Surely we appeal and make the case that he only missed a game because we were helping promote the AFL by having him accompany the US vice president to a match.

They can try, but they will almost certainly fail.

I made the point earlier in this thread that the 'special applications' clause tends only to be used for players who have just missed out on qualification and who need match fitness to suit the purpose of their AFL club, as in the case of Ben McEvoy. Missing a game to act as tour guide for Joe Biden would not likely attract sympathy from the General Manager.

But for all the talk over the VPOTUS thing, you can just as easily argue that it was the jagged shoulder he suffered against Richmond that cost Cox his eligibility. If he doesn't get clipped, then in the fallout of that debacle and with Darcy Moore ready to come back in, perhaps it's Mason who gets sacrificed on the altar of Etihad's fast deck instead of Cloke, causing Cox to become eligible and even avoiding this background conversation about whether to drop Cloke to achieve qualification. Or maybe they both get the boot. We'll never know...

By all means, file the application, because a VFL finals series and possible flag will help Mason's development no end, especially since he didn't have the best finals campaign last year and would probably want to atone. I'll happily cheer for a successful decision. But don't be surprised when they turn you down...

Last edited:
They can try, but they will almost certainly fail.

I made the point earlier in this thread that the 'special applications' clause tends only to be used for players who have just missed out on qualification and who need match fitness to suit the purpose of their AFL club, as in the case of Ben McEvoy. Missing a game to act as tour guide for Joe Biden would not likely attract sympathy from the General Manager.

But for all the talk over the VPOTUS thing, you can just as easily argue that it was the jagged shoulder he suffered against Richmond that cost Cox his eligibility. If he doesn't get clipped, then in the fallout of that debacle and with Darcy Moore ready to come back in, perhaps it's Mason who gets sacrificed on the altar of Etihad's fast deck instead of Cloke, causing Cox to become eligible and even avoiding this background conversation about whether to drop Cloke to achieve qualification. Or maybe they both get the boot. We'll never know...

By all means, file the application, because a VFL finals series and possible flag will help Mason's development no end, especially since he didn't have the best finals campaign last year and would probably want to atone. I'll happily cheer for a successful decision. But don't be surprised when they turn you down...
Surely they could make the appeal of getting further development in to an American rookie to try and further promote the sport abroad too? Getting as much experience as possible in to a player like Cox can only be beneficial to the game as a whole. It's not like we're asking for a league leading forward to play, he really doesn't strengthen our side all that much tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back