VFL VFL finals 2016 - who's eligible in OP (discussion to qualifying final thread please)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely they could make the appeal of getting further development in to an American rookie to try and further promote the sport abroad too? Getting as much experience as possible in to a player like Cox can only be beneficial to the game as a whole. It's not like we're asking for a league leading forward to play, he really doesn't strengthen our side all that much tbh.

You can try make that argument. But you will almost certainly fail.

I hope not, because he'd be a useful addition to the team...

Surely they could make the appeal of getting further development in to an American rookie to try and further promote the sport abroad too? Getting as much experience as possible in to a player like Cox can only be beneficial to the game as a whole. It's not like we're asking for a league leading forward to play, he really doesn't strengthen our side all that much tbh.
I was thinking about this the other day and I'm sure the club will push hard for him to play, but I don't we will be successful. Imagine all the whinging from the other clubs and he certainly will strengthen the team considerably with no Cloke.

It really depresses me the s**t fight over getting games at Vic Park. Being brought up outside of Melbourne and being too young I never got to watch footy at Vic Park. It's a dream of mine. I tried to organise a trip to do just that this year, only to have the club switch the game to the Holden Centre with little notice (the week we played and lost to Richmond in the AFL). And now there is uncertainty over future games and it feels like the rug could be pulled out from under our feet at any moment. I wonder if the Council and the club truly understand how this affects people? It's our spiritual home and I feel like i'm being denied the opportunity for that pilgrimage.

I think I've figured out the likely reason behind council not allowing Vic Park to be used for finals (serious) ...

The Council elections are next month ...

... Incumbent councillors wouldn't want any risk of causing problems for their constituents this close to an election.

If they allow one final there, what's to stop the club lobbying for more? Any possibility that the Grand Final could have been played there?

A Collingwood Grand Final crowd at an unsecured venue a month before council elections ... what council would allow that?

Last edited:
Any idea if the club is still planning a NAB Challenge match at Vic Park next year? And if so would the council allow it?
That would surprise me as I thought that NAB games were supposed to be played in country areas. However I would love a game at Vic Park.

Yeah, so, this is happening now...

:(:'(:mad:

FINAL SQUADS
  • Collingwood + Footscray to be updated once teams are finalised
  • Essendon or Richmond to be listed once 8th finalist is confirmed

CASEY (aligned with Melb)

Alignment agreement caps number of AFL players per week at 15 or 16

Eligible (16 players):
Dunn, Garland, Grimes, M. Jones, Kennedy-Harris
Ma. King, Pederson, Neal-Bullen, Michie, Newtown
Smith, Spencer, Terlich, Trengove, Weideman
White

Injured:
Lumumba (indefinite)

SANDRINGHAM (aligned with St Kilda)

Alignment agreement caps number of AFL players per week at 14

Eligible (20 players):
Coughlan, Curren, Delaney, Freeman, Holmes
Lee, Longer, Lonie, McKenzie, Murdoch
O'Kearney, Payne, Pierce, Rice, Saunders
Shenton, Sinclair, Templeton, White, Wright

Injured:
Goddard (season), Webster (season)

GEELONG

Any one who doesn't play AFL in R23
Can play anyone
  • AFL side playing semi finals - can play anyone
  • AFL side bye - player must not have played in the AFL qualifying final
  • AFL side out of finals - qualification rules apply
  • AFL side playing an AFL preliminary final - can play anyone
  • AFL side out of finals - qualification rules apply

Eligible (18 players):
Bates, Bews, Buzza, Clark, Cornell
Cowan, Cunico, Delaney, Gardner, Hayball
Horlin-Smith, Lucey, Luxford, Menegola, Murdoch
Parsons, Smedts, Vardy

Injured:
Gregson (season)

Oxley now eligible?

For the moment.

He needs to avoid a late recall to the seniors, though, whether that's by playing a full VFL game or by being held over and there being no late changes.

Either way, so long as he's not out on the MCG come 3:20pm Sunday, he'll be all clear for September...

They seem to have got the senior selection about right, with Oxley looking likely to be available for the VFL finals. Surely Macaffer can be the player held back for Sunday (assuming they do that with someone), even if he doesn't get to play one last AFL game he'll still have more chances to wear the B&W, while Oxley gets a chance to help the VFL team to success.

I'm keen to find out what the story is with Toovey, however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon lock in 8th and Richmond lock in 9th. With the loss to the 'dogs we can no longer met Geelong in the first week of the finals and Footscray now hold a 0.43% advantage on Port Melbourne.

Who can we play and what's required?

Williamstown
Casey defeat Box Hill
Port Melbourne
Box Hill defeat Casey + Port Melbourne defeat Geelong by approximately a double figure margin
Footscray
Box Hill defeat Casey + Port Melbourne defeat Geelong by approximately less than a double figure margin
or​
Box Hill defeat Casey + Geelong defeat Port Melbourne​

Essendon lock in 8th and Richmond lock in 9th.

EBjLRMUGVEv9GJxRveLdBcP066KVfF0RkHTY7tU4J5wuUGZpyXjVWRmMdAFsz9b2LZId23vBHmzLrHM3a6RuqdPk7L2JBuB34Iv1PfQ=w470-h313-nc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back