VFL fourths

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Not a "statistic" as such, but this board is as good of a history section as we've got.

Can somebody please give me a run down of what the fourths were? I believe they were either an Under 16 or Under 17 competition.

Is there a list of premiers or any other information around? Google News archive turns up a handful of mentions of the competition.

For anyone who is interested I found this information in ECH Taylor's 100 year history of Melbourne from 1958.

Fourth XVIII
In 1954 a fourth XVIII took shape. These lads under 17 years of age play the "curtain-raisers" to the seconds. In the short time of their existence they have done exceedingly well. They reached the four in 1955 and played off for the premiership in 1956

I take it this was the era when the reserves games were played at the away team's home ground while the seniors were playing.

I played with Footscray 4ths in 1968. It was under 17, and we played the curtain raiser to the under 19s, or Thirds as they were called.
The competition at that time was known as The Melbourne Boys League.

We trained with the u19s, although occasionally we'd get to have a run with the senior squad (a few of us at a time).

Not every club had a side in. IIRC, about half of the VFL clubs were represented. There was also a Watsonia team, and a side from Melbourne High. Can't remember now if there were any others...but I think there were only 8 teams that year.

It was a strong comp (I didn't get to play every game), and a lot of senior players came out of it. Eg, in our side were Charlie Pagnoccolo, who won the VFL's best first year player in 1970; Bones McGhie, who later played in 2 premiership sides with the Tigers; Grant Simmons, who played a few seasons with the Dogs.

Melbourne beat Richmond in the GF - we were beaten in the PF (what's new?).

We were also treated pretty well - reserved seating at senior home games, as we'd get back at about 1/4 time. Most clubs put on big spreads after the games. Sth Melbourne's lunches were fantastic! So was the old Lake Oval - best ground I ever played on. A lot of us became friendly with opponents. The Hawk guys were a great bunch - fights all day, hang out with them on Saturday nights when we played them!

1968 was the last year of the MBL, and the Dogs 4ths played a few seasons in the Footscray District League after that before being disbanded. Not sure what the other clubs did.

Best year of footy I ever had.

Great post GetDimmaBack, this is the stuff that we need to post or write somewhere to avoid losing it forever.

(P.S - Is this the defacto BF history board? It would be nice to have somewhere to discuss past stuff but it doesn't really fit into the "stats" description).

Great post GetDimmaBack, this is the stuff that we need to post or write somewhere to avoid losing it forever.

(P.S - Is this the defacto BF history board? It would be nice to have somewhere to discuss past stuff but it doesn't really fit into the "stats" description).

Agree fully with you on both points, Super.

Agree fully with you on both points, Super.
I played for Port Melbourne Fourths in 1962 at that time it was U/15. We just missed out on the four in the first year. The next year 1963 we entered as U/17 of which most were 15 years old we played the GF against Richmond on the MCG and won by 1 point. 6DB13491-087D-49CB-B178-2D4CD4018C65.jpeg

I played with South Melbourne Districts in the 1970's and their U-17 team was referred to as South Melbourne 4ths and played in the SESFL (now the Southern Football League). We played against Essex Heights and they were known as Richmond 4ths.

I played for Port Melbourne Fourths in 1962 at that time it was U/15. We just missed out on the four in the first year. The next year 1963 we entered as U/17 of which most were 15 years old we played the GF against Richmond on the MCG and won by 1 point.View attachment 1426910

I'd like to get the birth certificates of some of those Port boys because they look slighty older than 14 or 15!!!
Who was the coach?? He seems to be wearing a uniform jacket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mistake. Ignore the previous post.
1954 South Melbourne 4ths 8.3.51 defeated Richmond 4ths 3.3.21 (curtain raiser to SM v Melbourne game at the Lake Oval 28 August).
1955 North Melbourne 4ths defeated Richmond 4ths by 1 point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back