VFL VFL: Geelong Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
It was a pop in the jaw. Way more likely to get really injured in a sling tackle which don't get any weeks these days.
5 weeks is about right cause of how it looks and he got a swollen jaw.
I would of thought 4.

catempire

Premium Platinum
Mar 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So virtually uninjured then. Swelling and a little bleeding is bloody nothing.

Brayshaw had a broken jaw and required surgery. 5 is a perfect balance.
Agree with your assessment as the current rules are. But I’d be keen for them to adopt a severe penalty for any punch. Say, 8 weeks. You’d pretty quickly see the end of it. It has no place in the game.

CatToTheFuture

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Looked an absolute star junior as a bottom ager. Went into his top age U18 year as a top 10, maybe even top 5 prospect. I watched him play VFL on the weekend and he showed nothing.
Sometimes I look at those super long arms of his and think that it's the kind of thing that gives you a pretty good advantage at the junior level just being able to outmark your height. Maybe a few contest level advantages too. But if you're not committed you won't get anywhere past that level.

Has been named in the bests a few times iirc though, so might be a slow burn. Development is never linear.

CatToTheFuture

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
It was a pop in the jaw. Way more likely to get really injured in a sling tackle which don't get any weeks these days.
5 weeks is about right cause of how it looks and he got a swollen jaw.
I would of thought 4.
I agree with your first two sentences but you absolutely cannot have junior footy copying that. I don't care if he was completely uninjured, it has to be far more than a sling tackle.

Art Vandelay_

TheBrownDog
Oct 28, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bushrangers, AC Milan
Agree with your assessment as the current rules are. But I’d be keen for them to adopt a severe penalty for any punch. Say, 8 weeks. You’d pretty quickly see the end of it. It has no place in the game.
I think most fans would prefer an approach that focuses on ‘action and intent’ and not ‘outcome’.
System came in under Anderson. Adrian was a lawyer by trade, so no surprises we’ve got a very lawyer friendly tribunal environment.

CatToTheFuture

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I think most fans would prefer an approach that focuses on ‘action and intent’ and not ‘outcome’.
System came in under Anderson. Adrian was a lawyer by trade, so no surprises we’ve got a very lawyer friendly tribunal environment.
The problem with action and intent is that it's very hard to prove. Action and outcome is about the only thing you can actually measure

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with your first two sentences but you absolutely cannot have junior footy copying that. I don't care if he was completely uninjured, it has to be far more than a sling tackle.
I dunno. Everyone looks at things differently I guess.
A Luke Hodge elbow into the point post had a realistic chance of paralysing someone for life.
Only a few weeks.
I'd hate for any kids to copy that. (Not that I believe kids are gonna start punching people cause Paddy McCartin only got 4 weeks)

CatToTheFuture

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I dunno. Everyone looks at things differently I guess.
A Luke Hodge elbow into the point post had a realistic chance of paralysing someone for life.
Only a few weeks.
I'd hate for any kids to copy that. (Not that I believe kids are gonna start punching people cause Paddy McCartin only got 4 weeks)
I won't argue that hodge should have got more for that attempted murder charge because I agree, but a kid would struggle to imitate that no matter how many times they tried. A kid doesn't really register the number of weeks, the kid registers how society responds to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I won't argue that hodge should have got more for that attempted murder charge because I agree, but a kid would struggle to imitate that no matter how many times they tried. A kid doesn't really register the number of weeks, the kid registers how society responds to it.
Well kids are in real trouble then. Wayne Carey and Leigh Mathews are widely considered the 2 greatest players of all time.
One did shocking things on field one did off field.
Both are on TV too. As is Luke Hodge.

dazbroncos

Max Rooke Appreciation Society
Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles and Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
McCartin gone for 5 weeks - the league was arguing for 6 weeks, while his lawyers were arguing for 4 weeks down to 3 as he had pled guilty
thats total sh*t.

Gaff got 8 weeks for the exact same thing but he got it done with one punch.

This thug went twice - meaning he missed the first time and swung again to ensure he made contact

Gaff swung once and got 8 weeks. i dont get it. 5 weeks seems very light to me

GO Catters

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
So virtually uninjured then. Swelling and a little bleeding is bloody nothing.

Brayshaw had a broken jaw and required surgery. 5 is a perfect balance.
Whether he was injured or not is beside the point. You don't need a broken jaw to suffer a brain injury.

Either the AFL is serious about head trauma or not.

It was a cowardly, deliberate, direct punch to the head. That's all they need to consider, if they were fair dinkum, and should be given about 8 weeks.

Then, if someone suffers a broken jaw etc they should add another 4 weeks and round it off to a 12 week stint on the sidelines for the idiot to think long and hard about it.

THAT would demonstrate the AFL's determination and sincerity, and protect future players, rather than the limp wristed slaps they're handing out atm.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
thats total sh*t.

Gaff got 8 weeks for the exact same thing but he got it done with one punch.

This thug went twice - meaning he missed the first time and swung again to ensure he made contact

Gaff swung once and got 8 weeks. i dont get it. 5 weeks seems very light to me

GO Catters
Fully agree.

It just highlights the AFL's quivering and insincerity about eliminating this rubbish from the game.

Cataholic

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 11, 2009
a happy wanderer
AFL Club
Geelong
Well kids are in real trouble then. Wayne Carey and Leigh Mathews are widely considered the 2 greatest players of all time.
One did shocking things on field one did off field.
Both are on TV too. As is Luke Hodge.
Matthews was a straight up coward. No respect for him at all.

Carey was a pervert who drank his own bathwater.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Whether he was injured or not is beside the point. You don't need a broken jaw to suffer a brain injury.

Either the AFL is serious about head trauma or not.

It was a cowardly, deliberate, direct punch to the head. That's all they need to consider, if they were fair dinkum, and should be given about 8 weeks.

Then, if someone suffers a broken jaw etc they should add another 4 weeks and round it off to a 12 week stint on the sidelines for the idiot to think long and hard about it.

THAT would demonstrate the AFL's determination and sincerity, and protect future players, rather than the limp wristed slaps they're handing out atm.
So Scarlett should of got 8 weeks for punching Ballantyne?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Matthews was a straight up coward. No respect for him at all.

Carey was a pervert who drank his own bathwater.
Yet they're both on TV. The whole "Someone think of the children" argument is kind of dumb.
Noone really gives a f**k about showing consequences for actions.

dazbroncos

Max Rooke Appreciation Society
Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles and Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
So Scarlett should of got 8 weeks for punching Ballantyne?
That was 2013 and im not sure its apples to apples then and now

Both thugish acts - sure

The metrics of that have shifted considerably over the last 9 years...

Gaff and McCartin much closer acts to compare IMO

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad