VFL VFL: Geelong Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or is this the most talented VFL side we've had in some time? I'm curious if other see it the same way but I could easily see Holmes and De Konning being top level AFL players and, call me crazy, but I think Brownless is better than Jordan Clarke.

I'm not sure on the Clark vs Brownless debate - Clark looks the more talented, but right at the moment, Brownless looks to be getting the best out of themselves and maybe better applying themselves when they get out there

There's no doubting Clark's talent, but sometimes he doesn't necessarily seem to apply himself as one would hope. At under age levels, talent can be enough to keep one at the head of the pack but as you work up through the levels, raw talent won't necessarily be enough with dedication & application being important to continue to grow in the game

Right now seems to be an important time for Clark - he's got the talent, but can be take the next step with his game

I'm not sure on the Clark vs Brownless debate - Clark looks the more talented, but right at the moment, Brownless looks to be getting the best out of themselves and maybe better applying themselves when they get out there

There's no doubting Clark's talent, but sometimes he doesn't necessarily seem to apply himself as one would hope. At under age levels, talent can be enough to keep one at the head of the pack but as you work up through the levels, raw talent won't necessarily be enough with dedication & application being important to continue to grow in the game

Right now seems to be an important time for Clark - he's got the talent, but can be take the next step with his game
Clarks ceiling is higher but i wouldn't count Brownless out of becoming a decent AFL player if he can keep his trajectory on the upward trend that he is on.

Clark has the potential to be a star and we should be trying to make sure we keep him.

Brownless if he keeps going as is i would give another 1 year contract to see if he keeps trending upward.

Clarks ceiling is higher but i wouldn't count Brownless out of becoming a decent AFL player if he can keep his trajectory on the upward trend that he is on.

Clark has the potential to be a star and we should be trying to make sure we keep him.

Brownless if he keeps going as is i would give another 1 year contract to see if he keeps trending upward.

This is conventional wisdom but I'm not so sure. I just think Clarke lacks game intelligence and butchers the ball far too often. I starting to get a Murdoch feel about Clarke, I thought Murdoch was going to be a gun, and was adamant he'd be better than Guthrie who looked vanilla....Clearly I was wrong.

This is conventional wisdom but I'm not so sure. I just think Clarke lacks game intelligence and butchers the ball far too often. I starting to get a Murdoch feel about Clarke, I thought Murdoch was going to be a gun, and was adamant he'd be better than Guthrie who looked vanilla....Clearly I was wrong.
The key word i used is potential. Clark could live up to it or completely bomb we won't know for a few years.

He has all the tools to be a star if he can manage to put them together or he could go the way of equally talented players and become a solid contributor or even a complete flop it is very hard to tell early until they have a good 50-100 games or so.

It is the reason our MC keep pumping games into SAV they see star in him whether he makes it or not is to be determined.

Stephens was drafted in 2019 so this is his second year on the list. Had a broken leg in his draft year so realistically not a lot was expected from him in his first season (2020). Looking forward to seeing him back in the VFL soon and the AFL later in the year. I my view, comparisons with Nakia are way premature. Also I look forward to confusion about having Stephens and Stevens in the same team throughout the next 10 years.
Everyone keeps telling me this but HELLO the year before we got him he played 3 games that year

Is it just me or is this the most talented VFL side we've had in some time? I'm curious if other see it the same way but I could easily see Holmes and De Konning being top level AFL players and, call me crazy, but I think Brownless is better than Jordan Clarke.
I wonder who we will delist now that Brownless is improving, Evans and Jarvis have played AFL, Krueger could fill a tall defender role, and Okunbor is doing ok other than his kicking. Jenkins will go yet he is kicking a bag every week. Taheny is at risk unless there is quick improvement.

I wonder who we will delist now that Brownless is improving, Evans and Jarvis have played AFL, Krueger could fill a tall defender role, and Okunbor is doing ok other than his kicking. Jenkins will go yet he is kicking a bag every week. Taheny is at risk unless there is quick improvement.

Brownless could always be kept on the rookie list for a third year - his re-signing or delisting won't necessarily have an impact on the main list

Brownless could always be kept on the rookie list for a third year - his re-signing or delisting won't necessarily have an impact on the main list
He seems to in the Simpson wake. Maybe he gets a game and surprises. IF he is a developing inside player that can run, it would seem a role that we will need soon.

Interesting observation. Is he one of the players who look a good kick but often try for too much? For such a good kick he misses set shots more often than id like to see.

VICTORIA'S lockdown has meant that all VFL and VFLW games and the round of NAB League contests set to be played this weekend will be cancelled.

The State Government's seven-day lockdown period, which begins on Thursday at 11.59pm AEST, will see all second-tier matches for the men and womens' competitions postponed.

This includes Thursday night's clash between Frankston and Richmond that was set to begin at 7.10pm but will not be played.

Although the game would have been played before the lockdown begins, the AFL believed it was in the best interests of the safety of the community to not go ahead with the game, as well as challenges with Richmond’s playing list with the Tigers bracing to head to Sydney.

VFL matches between Brisbane and the Giants in Brisbane and Gold Coast and Aspley at Metricon Stadium will also not proceed, with the Northern Bullants not travelling to Queensland and Carlton's VFL side also not heading to New South Wales for their matches.

"The AFL has prepared for this situation and the inclusion of three allocated byes for all VFL clubs provides flexibility with the fixture," the AFL's statement said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking about who leaves at the end of the season to make way for traded in and drafted players.

I was talking about who leaves at the end of the season to make way for traded in and drafted players.

Yes, and Brownless being in the rookie list won't have any real impact on either of those as you can't trade in players to the rookie list.

We will also have a spot opening up on the rookie list as Atkins is on his third year there, so it's elevate or delist time

If Brownless was delisted at seasons end, it doesn't open a spot for say Merrett or Darcy - we'd still need to make room on the senior list to accommodate additions

If I had to guess I’d say Constable and Stanley seek other opportunities and I think Narkle will be offered something but may also choose to move on. Taheny, and Jenkins to be de-listed.

Yes, and Brownless being in the rookie list won't have any real impact on either of those as you can't trade in players to the rookie list.

We will also have a spot opening up on the rookie list as Atkins is on his third year there, so it's elevate or delist time

If Brownless was delisted at seasons end, it doesn't open a spot for say Merrett or Darcy - we'd still need to make room on the senior list to accommodate additions
I thought there is a limit of 45 players on the list whether rookie or not. So if Brownless is not retained, it means another player could be put on the rookie list to make room for Darcy or Merrett. If we retain all current players, no one can be added. What I am saying is that all on the list are doing well, or have played AFL or show potential, save for Taheny. I did forget Constable in my initial post. He will go. So who will not be there at the end of the year?

Brownless' disposal has been putrid.

But he seems a great runner, hard at it and tough, and gets a lot of the ball. I honestly thought he was not near AFL standard prior to this year. But he's looked great in the VFL in recent weeks. I think he's definitely worth keeping on the list and letting him grow and improve his disposal. He's got some grunt to him, and a little bit of Max Rooke attack about him too that is awesome

But he seems a great runner, hard at it and tough, and gets a lot of the ball. I honestly thought he was not near AFL standard prior to this year. But he's looked great in the VFL in recent weeks. I think he's definitely worth keeping on the list and letting him grow and improve his disposal. He's got some grunt to him, and a little bit of Max Rooke attack about him too that is awesome

I have seen some inside mids with pretty ordinary dis by foot. If he can cover ground and get inside ball... then he may not have to be Duncan. Id say Joel was not great at the start either so you may have a point on improvement.

Max Rooke . If he can get anywhere near him he will be doing well.

I thought there is a limit of 45 players on the list whether rookie or not. So if Brownless is not retained, it means another player could be put on the rookie list to make room for Darcy or Merrett. If we retain all current players, no one can be added. What I am saying is that all on the list are doing well, or have played AFL or show potential, save for Taheny. I did forget Constable in my initial post. He will go. So who will not be there at the end of the year?

This is the list constraints for this year & not sure if there's been any announcements in regards to next season yet - To reach the maximum of 44 players, clubs can carry between 36 and 38 senior listed players and four to six Category A rookies, plus the two Category B rookies.

This year we're running with 38 senior listed players, 4 rookies and 1 Cat B rookie

A quick look at our out of contract players, we have 17/18 unsigned senior listed players with a good number of those as fringe players, and it's not uncommon for something of an unexpected trade or 2, so hopefully we don't run into list spot issues and have to delist a rookie to create an open spot

Pity Krueger ain’t playing this week now. O’Bree was happy with his performance last week. Has good closing speed and could yet debut this year...
I think he and sdk play in great positions to get games this year, given our lack of tall backs and how blitz in being played in the midfield . One of the two will play week in week out next year just by virtue of their position, and it won’t be a bad thing

I think his disposal looks night and day better this season but for me it's 100% about the leap he's made. As you say, he was miles off last year and it's a huge surprise but honestly I'm thinking Guthrie and Duncan should be replaced with Clarke and Brownless this week. The bottom line for me is that while he's rapidly progressing, you've got to keep him around and see what he becomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back